Lin's Story - Extractions, Canine Exposure, and Weirdness :)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Way Too Old For This

#61 Post by Way Too Old For This »

Oh yeah, forgot to mention. My OS offered to give me my baby tooth for the tooth fairy. He said with interest it should be worth a lot by now.

So the "here in the US" line about OSHA....bunch of crap.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

Lin

#62 Post by Lin »

Hi Pam! :) It's great to hear from you, thanks for following. The actual adjustment part of the ortho visit did not hurt really (at least, not worse than other "normal" ortho-related pain). The removing of the glue was the excruciating part. Honestly, I don't know why it hurt so much, though I suspect very loose teeth had much to do with it. But it was among the most painful experiences I have had... ever.

I agree, the line about OSHA regs is a bunch of crap... I verified that surgeons can give teeth to their rightful owners. I asked my oral surgeon about it at my last visit. He said they were pretty quick to dispose of teeth, but that if I ask right before the surgery they might be able to save them for me. Not very promising, especially given that I'll have had a valium, but at this point I guess the surgery is the priority. But keeping them would be pretty neat, especially the baby tooth. Keeping it for this long has got to be worth more than a couple quarters by now!! I wonder if the cost can be adjusted according to the drama involved in "losing" the tooth? <grin>

As for all the circuitry, once the teeth are gone, I might have room in there for a little GPS chip. I can hook that up and maybe rig a tracking map up for my ArchWired signature ;)

My new date for the surgery is Wednesday, April 19... in the morning. Looking forward to getting it over with!! I think at this point I would rather focus on physical healing than mental anxiety/anticipation. However, my outlook has been much calmer lately.

I have been getting chiropractic adjustments and acupuncture treatments lately to help with my various body/mind health issues. I did find out recently that I have mild spina bifida (spina bifida occulta) and a relatively misaligned spine and neck. The treatments thus far have been wonderful, and I have so much more energy and a more balanced mind. My doctor has been working to balance my chi, and she has told me that this will help sort out issues before my oral surgery that will likely reduce the healing time afterward. Afterward, she will do another EMI scan (electro meridian imaging) to see how the balance has shifted (the surgery will shake things up a bit), then compensate for that. I am really confident that this will make the next month go more smoothly... I already feel a thousand times better than I did before seeing this lady. There is something to be said for finally chucking some of the Western meds and trusting 3000-5000 years of Eastern medicine... I should have done this a long time ago. After two treatments, some eczema I have had has cleared up, and some pain in my body has disappeared altogether, after being present continuously for years. My energy is MUCH higher. It is also easier to breathe now. This is even helping my depression considerably.

I feel great!
-- Lin | Braced on 1/31/06 | 5 extractions + Canine Exposed 4/19/06

Granola

#63 Post by Granola »

Lin, I was bummed that I lost my post before, only because I had responded to everything you had written. That will teach me not to be too hasty when submitting posts.

Sorry you are having TMJ symptoms. I don't have that, but have been clenching my teeth at night, enough to wake me up. It is no fun to have disrupted sleep and wake up to mouth pain in the middle of the night.
Now I believe that I am simultaneously special and insignificant enough that God/The Great Mystery/The Way/I AM/The Pattern/Whatever You Call IT would see to it that what is meant to be happens, just as it does, just as it should. The pain reminds me that I am alive, that I strive, and that I no longer ask to be protected from growing stronger into whatever it is I am meant to be. It has to be this way.

Bring it.
I really like that, and it struck a chord with me with respect to losing someone close to me (because there is no real way to feel at peace with it, but finding a way to live with it is imperative). Thanks for that.

I'm guessing that the excruciating glue removal ordeal you endured was partly due to loose, sensitive teeth, and partly due to that guy's poor technique, like you said. I just had some glue burred off of several teeth yesterday, and it wasn't painful. Ugh, I am sorry! I know that must have sucked.

I'm so glad to hear that you are getting some relief from some of your bothersome symptoms/conditions with acupuncture, etc. I think those are wonderful modalities, and have tried them myself at various times.

I see that you have your surgery date for Wednesday 4/19! I will be away from home then, but returning just after and will check to see if you log in here (when you are able). I know it will go well for you, even though none of it is fun. I'll be sending you white light, as they say.

I hope everything else with your braces is going well.
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

Granola

#64 Post by Granola »

Hi Lin,

I'm stopping in to wish you all the best for your surgery and recovery, as I'm going out of town for a vacation.

I really, really, really hope that the fears in your head are much worse than the actual experience, so that when the surgery comes around it will seems not as bad as you expected (even though I know it is no picnic, and I know that mentally you are doing much better with the idea than you initially were). I will check back in soon to see how you did.

I know you are just watching the calender now until this thing is done.
+\+
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

Lin

#65 Post by Lin »

Hi Linda and Granola! Thank you for your thoughts and comments :)

Linda, I am fast becoming a believer in alternative forms of medicine! That is to say (in my mind), anything other than popping pills that treat symptoms but do not work to heal causes. I had not heard about myotherapy until you mentioned it, but I looked it up online. It does seem like something that would reap many benefits! I also think that all body-mind health is greatly improved with exercise, not to mention good nutrition and mindfulness/meditation/mental awareness. Something I know I, for one, am still working toward, bit by bit...

Granola, I am so sorry to hear that you lost someone close to you. I honestly do believe that everything happens as it should, for reasons usually beyond our understanding... that doesn't necessarily lessen the impact on us of things when they do happen. But sometimes, for me at least, it helps a person keep on breathing. I hope that you find that, each day, it becomes easier to live on, breathe on (*hugs!!*).

As for my surgery... mentally, I think I am returning to feeling ready again for it. Since my last entry, life has been a rollercoaster for me, and I usually end up trying to claw myself out of dark places in my mind. It just takes time, and effort. My chiropractic/acupuncture treatments keep shifting my equilibrium, but I still know they are helping overall, bit by bit. I try to meditate for the 15 minutes I lay there with the needles in me each visit... often, I can focus so much that I can almost see the flow of chi within me. I use my mind to help heal and prepare my body/mind for the surgery...

~

(begin tangent)
In my life, I just said "goodbye" again to a person I have known for a long time who is very important to me. Someone I have always been in love with, and who has always been in love with me, though we have never had the luxury of sharing a relationship, or even much time together. Honestly, it's magical in a way I don't think I'm likely to experience again in this life... almost psychic. If you can imagine what it must be like for two souls to communicate with each other using a sort of silent, unseen, intimate gestural-energy sign language that is clearly and mutually "sensed" despite all physical distance between us and despite all time that has passed between our exchanging actual words... it's sort of like that. Like the special connection identical twins often say they share, only between two souls who are not physically related. My failing is my attachment to my desire to have him in my life in one specific way. So great is my attachment that, after years and years of trying to know him simply as a remote friend, I am finally unable to cope with the prospect of having him in my life in any other way but than what feels true to me, deep in my heart. Reading back over emails we exchanged six years ago, I realize that little has changed between us except for one thing... now we know for certain what life is like without the other in it. Now we know for certain how we feel for each other. But knowing this has not changed the actions of this person. He may love me, and I may love him, but the truth is he has been in a relationship with another woman for 13 or so years. And it does not seem as though he will ever change this, as much as I wish my last "goodbye" to him were not forever. Who knows, maybe he will change things... or maybe meteors will rain down from the sky and illuminate my town with fireworks born of galactic dust. But I cannot sustain myself on hopeful "maybe" fantasies. I'll just go on being me. And part of me will always wonder what could have been. And part will always be sad, as it has been since the last time I saw him, years and years ago. If I could forget, would it ease this lasting pain? Or only forsake the beauty of the most significant thing I have ever experienced?
(end tangent)

~

Right, so this is off the teeth topic... sorry about that. I guess I figure that if I can take on all my huge fears of my surgery (one of my biggest, bona fide phobias in life) and take that pain and come out fighting and whole and stronger on the other side... then, well, I can handle everything else too. Losing people who have meant something to me that words just can't fit... fighting demons that I can only allude to here... not having a single friend in my life, other than a sweet old schoolmate who lives on the opposite side of the continent and emails once every 6 months... Well, maybe if I'm bold enough to face my fears, I have what it takes to survive everything else too. I have nothing to lose but everything, and I'm going to dedicate everything I've got to trying. Goodness knows I just don't understand what other people do or what destiny weaves into (or out of) my life... but the one thing I can control is my mind, my Self. I owe it to myself to go for it. I just have to remember to keep breathing.

So, I'm going under the knife, or drill, or whatever other creative instruments they decide to use on my mouth Wednesday. When I can, I'll let you know how it went afterward. Who knows, since there will be anesthesia and painkillers, maybe it will actually hurt less than that one de-gluing ortho visit... ;)

Thank you to all who have sent positive thoughts and energy my way for the big day - you are all beautiful! Talk to you next week after it's all over, I hope!

PS: I keep hearing from a family member that my teeth already look much straighter! Here's hoping they zoom into place after there's free space for them to really move.

Lin

#66 Post by Lin »

5 Hours Post-Op Report

Thank you Karen and all others who have sent positive energy my way... it has helped a lot.

I am SO (multiply by infinity) glad the surgery is over. Months of mental conditioning for today and an intensive 24-hour-pre-op mental conditioning session paid off. Things went as well as I could reasonably have expected.

I got up at 6am for a few hours of yoga/meditation and centering, after quite a bit of centering last night, too. Going into this with a completely opposite attitude from last time helped a great deal. I effectively managed to avoid most negative thoughts before the surgery, and for me, this is like climbing a mountain and fighting my worst enemy and emerging victorious.

The surgery went very well and the surgeon accomplished everything we wanted him to. I think at least some of the surgery or maybe all of it was twilight IV sedation, as I was able to hear everything, but not to a point it bothered me. It actually helped me very much psychologically. And I felt no pain during the procedure.

I am realizing that I have blamed myself too much and too long for my breakdown after my wisdom teeth extraction several years ago. After today's experience, I realize that the actions and care of surgeons and their assistants (and general office atmosphere) directly impact how traumatic the experience is, or whether it is traumatic at all. I know personal mental state is a huge part of it too, but really, so is this. Today was not traumatic at all, because the surgeon and everyone else there were exceptionally caring, gentle, and sensitive toward me. This completely blows my mind in comparison to my wisdom teeth surgery, where about 20 patients were essentially shuffled in line, and one after another, jabbed with an IV, alotted about 5 mins per wisdom tooth extraction, and were then dragged out (still unable to walk) and put into the car before even being conscious. My caretaker (the same today as that last time) agreed with my analysis of this. She actually likened it to an assembly line. You just can't spend too much time choosing a surgeon and office that you get a good feeling about.

The past few hours have been rough, but I think they were the worst, and they are fading into a more manageable level of pain. The extractions didn't hurt after the surgery, but I sure could feel a good bit of pain from the window in the roof of my mouth. I have glanced at the 5 empty tooth sockets, which is a mess of oozy blood and hard to stomach, but I don't think I can manage looking at the roof of my mouth yet.

I took 2 oxycodone with a penicillin after getting home, and took a nap with that and a mouthful of moistened teabags for awhile. Woke up sweaty and very nauseated, but cold Coke and an ice pack the surgeon gave me have helped that. They added 3 antiemetics to my IV this time, which made all the difference in the world. They even let me keep my teeth, but I will look at those after I'm feeling much better, I think. There is only so much blood I can stand to look at, and swabbing so much of it out of my mouth for so many hours is enough to take on for now.

I opted out of taking any anti-inflammatory steroids because of the mood disorders it dredges up in me, so apparently I might have a puffer-fish face in 3 days or so. But the plus side is that not taking this will help me heal faster. A Very Good Thing.

I'm really elated that my surgeon and his assistants were so gentle and expert at choreographing the procedure and my experience of it. I'm also very proud that I have faced my worst fear and accomplished what I had hoped. And I am thankful for the people who have sent good energy and encouragement to me and for my loving caretaker (good old mom).

While visiting/recovering at my parents' house here, every time my mother comes into this guest room with something else I need, one of her puppies follows her. It's so cute, but the puppy is actually really worried about me. She doesn't want to leave, and she acts cowed by her worrying... I think she can smell all the blood. But if I look at her and wave excitedly, she wags her tale like mad. Isn't love grand?

That's about it for now... I'm now down 4 premolars and MY LAST BABY TOOTH IS GONE! I guess that makes me an all-growed-up person now. The exposed canine has its own bling bling chain now, and I think for that reason, I'm just going to name it Dawg.

My only regret is not doing this around Halloween, so that I could answer the door for trick-or-treaters with green face-paint and smile at them with my gap-toothed maw of maximum dental mayhem. Not that I like scaring little kids :GapToothed: They might think it's fake anyway.

Um, plus the jury is still out on whether this was worse than that one degluing incident at the ortho's. It probably was, but not by much. I really should have chosen a better ortho's office, but I'm not sure I can afford the financial penalty of switching now. I hope having Dawg attached to my wire at my next adjustment isn't too bad... if I see the same assistant waiting to do that as who did my degluing, I might just run away screaming.

Meanwhile...

Let the DVD marathon commence:
The Brothers Grimm
Everything is Illuminated
Must Love Dogs
In Her Shoes
Just Like Heaven
Geisha
King Kong
Corpse Bride

Thanks again for your thoughts and help and encouragement, everyone!! I'll let you know how things go... I'm so glad this part is over with.

Flora2006

#67 Post by Flora2006 »

Hi Lin,

I know what you mean about the baby tooth...I had 3 just last november and got them extracted...even my ortho said I am fully an adult now :) lol

I agree, the doctors and atmosphere have such a huge impact on us! I have the biggest fear of doctors but my dentist helped so much. He and my ortho are the nicest doctors I have ever met.

I'm glad things are going better for you :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Way Too Old For This

#68 Post by Way Too Old For This »

Lin, I am so glad your surgery is over and it was an overall positive experience for you. I am so glad to hear you are getting the Mom tratment....there just isn't much better than that is there? My daughter is having foot surgery in a couple of weeks so I get to be Mom nurturer again for a while. And those puppies.....they DO know you don't feel good. I know they do! My dog never leaves my side when I'm sick. If you have a puppy to pet and hug in these next few days, I'm positive your recouperation will be faster.

Now don't go looking at the roof of your mouth until you are strong. By that I mean not even in a few days. Wait till you are eating enough to not feel weak. I'm really tough and I am usually fascinated by medical procedures, like I watched very closely one time when I got stitches in my hand because I'm quite positive I could have done that myself! I am a seamstress afterall! Anyway, I never in my life thought looking at that Ruth would bother me, but I passed out. I'm sure is was lack of food, pain drugs, whatever because it really didn't look all that bad. It was quite embarrassing to be such a wimp. Wait till you are STRONG and feeling quite normal.

That said, I sure wish I could see a picture of Dawg! I'm terrible. Now I'm back to being fascinated instead of grossed out.

Don't worry about getting Dawg tied up. That process never really bothered me. I would get a headache afterwards which Tylenol would take care of, but when they tied Ruth up I don't remember it hurting. In fact I always wanted them to tie her up tighter so she would move faster. I still say the first adjustment is the hardest. Here's hoping your future visits are more positive.

Great job in getting the surgery over with....now its on to getting that lazy Dawg out of his bed and off to work alongside his mates in that arch! Thank you for posting so soon to let us know. I know others as well as me were thinking of you.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

Shawnie

#69 Post by Shawnie »

Hi Lin,
I haven't been able to read your whole story but I read the current stuff, last couple of pages. I want to read it from the beginning when I have more time. You writting is fun to read! Do you think I wrote the word "read " enough?

Anyway, I'm glad your surgery is over. As I said on my post, keep ahead of the pain and take your pain pills. I think the anticipation of the surgery was much worse than the actual surgery.

I agree with Pam, don't look at the surgery site untill you are ready. I didn't look the first day. I think it was a day or two later that I got out my handy little dental mirror to check it out. It didn't bother me at all, I was more curious than anything else. I've become fascinated with all of this ortho stuff!

Hope you are doing better tomorrow. Keep lots of soup on hand. Campbells has one called Soup at Hand. I had never had it before, but my boyfriend got it for me and it was pretty good, or maybe I was just starving! Anyway, you can drink it and it doesn't have big chunks of stuff, mostly just smooth. They are also single serving cans that can go in the microwave. I also ate alot of jello the first couple of days. Then progressed on to ice cream!

Take Care, now you are one more step closer to the end result!

Shawnie
Braced - 10/04/05
Treatment - 30 to 36 months
Ceramic uppers, Metal lowers
Impacted canines-Crowding-Crossbite
6 baby teeth!
Canine exposure surgery of two teeth 3/29/06
2nd canine exposure of one tooth 11/15/06

Lin

#70 Post by Lin »

2 Days Post-Op Report:

A Bedtime Story About Blood Clots: A Tale of Five Sockets
I goofed up on my first night after the surgery! I brushed my teeth gently as the surgeon said to (I use a toddler's extra soft, small toothbrush... it is most convenient), then I decided to try using Peroxyl to clean my gums/mouth. This was a big mistake!! I didn't swish roughly or spit or anything, but the peroxide did indeed turn out to be much too caustic for such fresh wounds. It bubbled up in the sockets and managed to loosen at least one blood clot... which got washed down the drain.

Not good. I know that I need the blood clots there to help the healing and avoid getting dry sockets. So... minus some very critical blood clots, and not wanting to have to wait until I had dry sockets to then get the surgeon to pack them with medicated gauze and such... I took strange measures to re-form my blood clots.

I lightly massaged my face--the areas that are directly over my bare gums/sockets--for a minute or two to get the circulation going there. And... you'll really think I'm crazy now... then I spent about 10 minutes doing acrobatics off the side of my bed. I basically hung my upper body over the side of the bed, so that my head was near the floor, and put my arms in the air above my body. I did this for about 5 minutes face-up and 5 minutes face-down, allowing gravity to push a great deal of the blood in my body into my head. I could hear the blood rushing in my ears.

Weird, yes, but.... success!! My sockets started to bleed again very lightly from the pressure of the blood, gravity, all that. So I spent some time (sitting up again) letting it ooze up a bit. It worked wonderfully... new blood clots formed where I had washed out at least that one so much that I think I could almost see white bone(?)/deep bare gum. And so... the blood clots became one with my sockets again and hopefully they will live happily ever after. Especially if I'm not daft again and put something like Peroxyl in a still very raw mouth.

Hope that wasn't too gory a tale!

~

I'm still doing great, all things considered. Because I'm not taking the steroids, though, I'm getting more and more swollen. My face/mouth feels bloated and tight and my skin has this fantastic greenish-white pallor to it. My father isn't one for all the emotional consoling type talk, but he still showed that he cared. He printed out a photo of a puffer fish and gave it to me. In my strange little family, it just means that he loves me and is worried about me. Really, he actually makes me look normal ;) :lol:

Meanwhile, the puppy keeps slinking in to glance at me, all worried. I held her for awhile and she would sniff my mouth, then cower a bit, scared of the smell of blood/gore in there. She can tell that there are wounds in there. She is such a sweetheart. She really is the smartest little creature, and she knows something is amiss and is very concerned. Unfortunately, I had to disagree with her prescription for healing, which, if she had had her way, would go something like her fresh-kissing my wounds to a healed state. I think maybe not :)

~

Flora: Did you put your baby teeth under a pillow and wish for the tooth fairy to come? hehe. I still haven't looked at my extracted teeth yet. I'm not there quite yet. I'd make a joke of putting them under my pillow and wondering aloud where the tooth fairy could be... but I think the tooth fairy is too busy being an angel about taking care of me.

Pam: You're right, the mom treatment is about the "bestest" cure for any ailment ever. It's been a long time since I've had the mom treatment like this. May well be the last time anybody ever waits on me hand and foot... ;) I tell her thank you and she just says to give her the mom treatment when she is old and needs assistance. I said, of course!

And the puppy sure does know I'm hurt. It truly amazes me how sensitive dogs are to things like that. It makes me feel better to know she cares so much, just because she is a sweetheart at heart.

I hope your daughter's foot surgery goes well!! She is lucky that she will get to enjoy the mom treatment with your help :)

I have not looked at the roof of my mouth yet. Just feeling the soreness of it and tonguing it makes me cringe a bit. The two empty sockets in front of the exposure site are so gory looking, all kinds of purple and black and white colors, so I can't imagine what the exposure looks like. Don't want to yet :lol: Once I'm back at my own house, I think I'll go for it, though. I'll try to take a photo of Dawg then! After all, it IS his grand debut into the world. He won't be allowed to be a lazy Dawg for long, he's got a lot of moving to do.

As Linda notes, he's got to join up with the rest of the chain-gang (love it, it really is something of a chain gang!!)

Shawnie: You're right about keeping ahead of the pain. I tried not taking a painkiller this morning, and by noon the soreness was really kicking up, so I had to take one late. I think I'll stick to regular doses for the next day or two at least.

I am having a lot of Campbells soup, for sure. And jello, too, which is great for hydrating. I tend to take my antibiotics in pudding, since I can't swallow horse pills like that. The penicillin tastes absolutely horrible. I'm sure bacteria and little infector-invaders take one whiff of the penicillin and promptly curl up and die because it's so acrid.

I'm really craving green stuff to eat, and that's hard to find in a mushy state. I'm trying to follow an intuitive diet, which mostly means I listen to cravings since it usually means my body needs certain nutrients found in the foods it craves.

Thanks Lucy and Karen and all for your kind thoughts! I'll post some photos when I can for those (Pam!) who are curious and don't mind a scary looking mouth. I am wondering what kind of wiring up I will get at the ortho's, if powerchains come now or soon or at all. Almost time to start working on closing these gaps!

fyrelight

#71 Post by fyrelight »

Glad you are feeling better, Lin. Take your time healing. Wounds heal quickly in your mouth, thankfully. A good week or maybe 2 and you'll be doing really well. .... if you stay away from the peroxyl for a few days! ;)

These are 2 pictures of my mouth just TWO WEEKS after the exposure surgery:

See how fast they heal?

About the powerchains, they usually don't try to close your gaps where your canines are going to go until they make sure the canines have enough room to come in. They kept big springs to hold the space open for my canines.

Keep us updated... its fun watching others get their canines in place.. :)
Pamela W.
FORMER IMPACTED CANINES,

Lin

#72 Post by Lin »

3 Days Post-Op Report:

Last night was really quite unpleasant. I started having all kinds of odd reactions to what I think was the oxycodone. I got about 3 major hiccups attacks that took up about 4 hours and completely wore me out... especially since it kept me from sleeping. I also woke up in pain in the middle of the night and had this really weird itching attack. I mean, my whole body itched like mad, and I scratched every part of my body for about an hour, maybe more. Apparently hiccups and itching are (rare??) side effects of the oxy, but I think I'm not comfortable with having this chemical in my body anymore.

I tried just taking run-of-the-mill Aleve (naproxen) today instead of anything else, and of course the pain has been worse without staying on the oxy constantly. I slept about 16 hours today and have a splitting headache.

I think the sockets are healing bit by bit. I started the saltwater rinses today. Hopefully if I can just bear some of the lasting discomfort on my own and get rid of all the chemicals in my body, I'll feel normal again. I can't wait to get out of this room and back to life. I have just felt so exhausted.

No more oxycodone for me, ever! I just have a bad feeling about it, mostly because I felt like my body was beginning to depend on it and then react weirdly from it. I mean, I get hiccups maybe once a year! And the itching was just insane. But it sure was an effective painkiller... *sigh* Is there such a thing as being TOO in tune with one's body?

Pam W.: The healing in your photos is remarkable, given it was just two weeks after your surgery! How many times a day did you do the saltwater rinses? That level of healing is definitely my goal!!

Karen: I think the painkillers were a big part of my feeling okay! I'm still a million times better than I expected I would be after this surgery. But I am hoping I can stop taking any painkillers at all soon, even the over-the-counter types.

fyrelight

#73 Post by fyrelight »

It sounds like you are allergic to the oxy. Yeah, I'd stick to OTC stuff now or ask your doc for an alternative.

On the salt water rinses... I don't think I did them but just the first 2 days, to get that bloody taste off my tongue and stuff. You'll heal just fine! :)
Pamela W.
FORMER IMPACTED CANINES,

Flora2006

#74 Post by Flora2006 »

Lin, I'm so glad you were able to form a new blood clot. Good job :)
I'm also very glad to hear that it is healing.

I agree with fyrelight. It really does sound like an allergic reaction so it's a good thing you are staying away from it.

I totally agree with you, puppies...and all other animals are the greatest. They can always sense when something is wrong. Your pup sounds like such a cutie :) Puppies/dogs are the best! They always make everything a bit better.

Hope all is well with you and that your clots keep healing!! Keep us posted, take care :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Lin

#75 Post by Lin »

4 Days Post-Op Report:

Oh my dear goodness gracious. I just had my first peek at the roof of my mouth, and I may have just lost my appetite forever. I have never seen such a nasty looking thing/wound/whatever on my body ever, and I don't think I've seen any photos of canine exposure areas on this forum look so bad either (that weren't mid-surgery shots, anyway).

Directly behind teeth numbers 7 and 8 (upper right central and lateral) there is a massive trench of gore that the gold bling chain leads into. I can't even really see where it attaches to the canine. But with a flashlight and my dental mirror, it's this gaping hole of white-brown-gray-black scariness. I used a syringe full of saltwater to clean it out, but all the colored gunk seems to be part of my flesh and not food particles or something. I'm thinking the brown might be dead cauterized gum tissue from the laser, but I'm not sure. It's so gross.

I decided to look because I'm morbidly curious as to what kind of wound can have my entire skull/head aching as though a nailgun had been shot off in the roof of my mouth, and now I know why! But I also wanted to keep an eye on it in case it starts to look more infected after I take my last antiobiotic pill tonight.

I hope it's not infected and that... well... it heals. It seems like most of the root of my top right central is exposed along with it. I am also hoping that orthodontic treatment doesn't try to pull the canine right through my lateral and damage its root.

I just didn't expect it to be so close to all of my other teeth, but it's right up there kissing 7 and 8. The sockets for my top left and bottom two premolars look like the supermodels of mouth wounds compared to all the rest. Maybe it's not so bad, maybe it will work out. I can't yet visualize how the ortho is going to manage to pull it into place from where it is.

Oh gosh, maybe I shouldn't have looked. I really didn't think it would look that bad! You all were right... I probably shouldn't have looked :oops: Dawg has got one scary crib.

Have stuck to Tylenol all day but felt feverish/headachey/sore most of it. But I think you all were right that I was having an allergic reaction to the oxycodone, that stuff is not so great for me. But before the reactions it helped soooo much with the pain.

I'll post real pix of the exposure as soon as I have a half-decent camera at my disposal. All I have right now is a camera phone, which doesn't show much detail, though it does show you where the exposure site is: