First Week / Don't Swallow your Bracket

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

adamindc

First Week / Don't Swallow your Bracket

#1 Post by adamindc »

So this is about my first week in braces. And hopefully it will serve as a warning about some things NOT to do for those who are new to having them. :lol:

So, I have top and bottom rows of ceramic braces, which are great because for the most part they truly are invisible. Some friends and co-workers have taken DAYS to figure out I have them, only when they get close enough to see the archwire. In photos they don't show up at all.

After my appointment on a Friday morning I went back to my office. Other than minor discomfort, I really haven't experienced ANY pain (except for minor aches when chewing). A co-worker was leaving so we were throwing a lunch party for her... complete with tons of yummy food that I couldn't/shouldn't touch.

I tried my best but sound even soft food irritating on that first day. So I decided on a piece of nice soft carrot cake...
Until I bit down on an unseen hard nut in the cake and found that my second-to-back brace had popped loose.

Being a 4-day weekend with the 4th of July, my orthodontists had left the office and wouldn't be back for at least 4 days. So as it didn't hurt, and was still connected to the archwire, I just let the bracket be until I could get it fixed.

After work some friend invited me to dinner. I chose soft tortellini at an Italian restaurant with was great- soft small pieces! The only down side has been constantly worrying about food stuck in your teeth. Later that night, when burshing my teeth I realized something...

To my horror the bracket was gone! I didn't recall spitting it out which could only mean one thing. You guessed it. I swallowed the bracket!!!
:oops:

So I am waiting to go back to the orthodontist tomorrow. It's been many days, and I figure swallowing the bracket didn't kill me or send me to the emergency room (as I was afraid would be the case, swallowing a small potentially sharp object). But there's a lesson in here: Don't eat things you're not supposed to!!

babymetalmouth

#2 Post by babymetalmouth »

LOL!!!!!!!! that made me laught SOOOOOOOOOOOO much!! Are you ok? did you get it sorted?! :lol:

Hehe, so, I'm never going to eat carrot cake!!

You should go for an x ray or something shouldnt you? lol! I mean a little peice of metal rolling round in your belly CANT be good!!

Well I'm glad youve lernt your lesson not to eat naughy foods!

Lol!

Sam

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry for typos, I BLAME MSN!

lionfish

#3 Post by lionfish »

You've probably already passed the bracket at the other end. I had this happen in week 6, care of a cheese straw. I had a dangly pointy wire to contend with for 4 days before I could get it fixed. I've been off cheese straws since then....

adamindc

#4 Post by adamindc »

Thanks for the salt water tip! I will definately try it!!

Bridget

#5 Post by Bridget »

Poor you that it happened on that first day in braces....Nasty carrot cake!

As my b-day is getting closer, I was wondering where I could find this no-no list? I had braces as a teenager and just rememember that I could not eat caramel, apples and things like that...anyway I never ate in front of other people (other than my closest family) as I was so afraid and ashamed of food getting stuck between braces.

Good luck to your for the rest of your treatment! Looking forward to seeing some pics!

Sunny greetings from Munich

Bridget

Bridget

#6 Post by Bridget »

Hi Karen!
Thanks for your kind words! I hope so too....It's my very own decision to have the braces on again so I really should feel more comfortable with them, I know...as a teenager I was pretty shy and afraid of leaving bad impressions :-)

But as the b-day is getting closer - Spacers in tonight - I am feeling a little nervous, I must admit. I really cannot yet imagine what it will be like to have them on again :-)

But I know what the goal is - a beautful smile!

And this board and all the nice people that make this board so wonderful will for sure help me with anything there might be!!!

Once b-day is over, I will post some before and after pics!!

Bridget

So thanks a lot for all your posts!

Upper and lower ceramics
9 months to go......less if I am REALLY lucky