At last update page 2 (with pics)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

At last

At last update page 2 (with pics)

#1 Post by At last »

Well I figured that since I will be getting my braces in just a few short days, I would post my story. And I will be posting before and after pics on the day that I get it done. Anywho here goes...

I spent the majority of my life hating my smile... I notice that the first thing I look at with anyone else is their smile, so heaven knows what other people see when they look at me. All I see is a mess. In the last few years, I have become more open about the fact that I hate my smile whereas before I would change the subject even when the word tooth was mentioned. It was one of those things were your face gets all hot and probably red and your heart starts racing all in fear that someone will say something about your teeth in particular. No one ever did, but I still feared it. People are constantly commenting on the fact that I never smile in photos and what not and before I would avoid the situation, now I will respond with a "ummm would you?" Or I would make a joke about it. Anyway sorry for the rambling, I am just trying to show how much I hate them... The thing that is hardest for me to understand is when I do bring it up with someone, their response is your teeth are fine, you dont need braces. And all I can think is are you kidding me? Obviously these people just love me to pieces and refuse to acknowledge my flaws... lol and I do love them for that... but I can see.

So I decided to see what it would take to get something done about it. My mom was a single mom and so she could never afford to put me or either one of my sisters in braces... lucky for them, their teeth turned out ok. I on the other hand have been cursed with big teeth and a very very small mouth. Everyone comments on the size of my mouth and it sucks. I used to get so mad at my mom cause she would shrug it off like it wasnt a big deal when she could see how much it mattered to me... I did understand the money situation and tried to make the best of it, but sometimes the inner child got the best of me.

I went on three consults. I knew that I wasnt really a canidate for invisalign and two of the orthos confirmed that... the third one said it could be done and basically just told me what I wanted to hear... so I sctrached that guy. I want honesty and someone that wants to help me, not someone that is just looking to get a buck. I really liked the first doc, but I chose the second one because of convience and the two docs told me basically the same thing. I dont know the exact problems that I have but there is crowding and rotation in the front. I have already had two top teeth pulled when I was younger and a bottom front one so I suppose that my alignment is going to be a little off, but he doesnt want to extract anything because I am already missing so many. I also had my wisdom teeth taken out about a year ago so all in all I am missing seven teeth already. I think that I will be just fine with an alignment that is off after living this long with no alignment at all... anyway that is basically it in a nutshell (a big one I know)

Looking forward to spending the next eighteen+ months here with the rest of you... this board is the greatest thing ever invented on earth!!
Last edited by At last on Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Spacers ~ June 21, 2006
All metal Braces ~ Jul 11, 2006
Est. Treatment time ~ 18 months

jenfire

#2 Post by jenfire »

Congratulations on beginning ortho treatment, At last. I look forward to hearing about your progress in the future!

:) jenfire
Ceramic Braces and RPE, estimated treatment 18 months

Jillianleab

#3 Post by Jillianleab »

I would change the subject even when the word tooth was mentioned. It was one of those things were your face gets all hot and probably red and your heart starts racing all in fear that someone will say something about your teeth in particular. No one ever did, but I still feared it. People are constantly commenting on the fact that I never smile in photos
That is EXACTALLY how I felt! I hated when people would talk about teeth or dentists when I was around, eventhough no one ever said anything bad about me! I also get comments about not smiling in pics, but when I did I would hate the pic! I perfected "the smirk".

Welcome to the board and good luck on your journey. Throughout the process just remember - we are here for you!
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

antsika

#4 Post by antsika »

Hi At last and congrats on your decision!

I can also share your feeling about the smiles, it was the same with me :(

But we are here to change that! :D

I am awaiting your pics and the updates! Good luck on your B-day!!

Antsika

Shawnie

#5 Post by Shawnie »

Hi At Last - Welcome and thanks for sharing your story. You know how you said the first thing you notice about people is there smile because you don't like yours. Well I think whatever it is about a person that they don't like in themselves, then that is what they focus on with other people.
So I'd like to think that unless another person's teeth bothered them, then maybe they aren't looking at other peoples teeth.

I worked for a Plastic Surgeon and it was funny how say if they were going to do surgery on their nose, then they were looking at everyones noses. Same would go for any other part of the body they were going to change. One thing is for sure, you will be more into teeth then you probably have ever been in your whole life, I know I am now that I have braces. Teeth also become very interesting all of a sudden!

Take care, and keep us posted.
Shawnie
Braced - 10/04/05
Treatment - 30 to 36 months
Ceramic uppers, Metal lowers
Impacted canines-Crowding-Crossbite
6 baby teeth!
Canine exposure surgery of two teeth 3/29/06
2nd canine exposure of one tooth 11/15/06

At last

#6 Post by At last »

Wow thanks for all the replies.... Omgosh I am sooooo nervous about today!! I think I am to the point where I need some reassurance that I am doing the right thing!! I know that I am but I cant help but feel dreadful for what I am about to endure.... jMy appointment is at three so wish me luck!!

Spacers ~ June 21, 2006

elissasmilz

#7 Post by elissasmilz »

Best of luck to you today.

I think everyone who has gone through this has felt exactly how you feel right now and I would bet that most people who are well into their treatment would tell you that they are so glad that they went through with it.

I was so nervous about getting braces that I put it off for 15 years. Now 1 year into it, I am so glad I finally did it and I wish I had done it a long time ago.

At last

#8 Post by At last »

Well I did it!!! Man is it weird. I have such a small mouth that it feels like these things are taking over everything!! Im trying to be optimistic about it, but it just seems like the light at the end of the tunnel is so far away!! I know I will be ok, I just cant wait to get used to them.. It is such a change...

My appt was ok I suppose... It took so long though cause they had to keep switching instruments to keep my mouth open... didnt have one of those things that fit cause it is so small but the child one was too small... lol I was there for about 2 1/2 hours. Went pretty much like I have read everyone elses did, and I went with silver ligs. I have a before and after pic... if you are ready.. sorry it is kinda blury all I have right now is my camera phone...

Before braces:

and after:
I tried to resize this one... but sometimes photobucket takes awhile... sorry about that....

No real pain to report, just a little soreness today and its not that comfortable yet, but I will adjust soon I suppose and hopefully be able to think about something else for a minute!! My best friend took me out for a beer afterwards just to encourage me that it wasnt that big of a deal... lol

Spacers ~ June 21, 2006

jenfire

#9 Post by jenfire »

Congrats, At last! Looks good. Remember to use the wax liberally!
Ceramic Braces and RPE, estimated treatment 18 months

At last

#10 Post by At last »

Welp I have officially made it to a week!! Yesterday actually and I have to say, this is much easier than I imagined!! Everyone has noticed and commented on them, but they are all supportive and Im glad that my friends and family are so cool. I have gotten a few "you look totally different with them" comments but they all say that isnt such a bad thing!!
The funny thing is that even if I wanted to hide the darn things, I couldnt cause they force me to smile all the way!! lol Anyway hope everyone is doing fine!!

Spacers ~ June 21, 2006

Joanna20

#11 Post by Joanna20 »

Hey at last! My tops look pretty much like yours! (My story is under "joanna's story - crowding ..." ), if you want to check it.
I wish you the best on this new journey!

Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

At last

#12 Post by At last »

Hey Guys!! I know I havent updated in awhile but there hasnt really been alot goin on with the braces!! I am pretty much used to the daily routine and down to just waiting it out. These braces are a fairly easy adjustment and I think I am doing ok... my next adjustment is oct 10 so maybe we will see something different by then!! Sorry for the quality of the photos, but I still dont have a digital camera that can take pics up close... all I have is my crappy camera phone... Hope everyone is doing well!!

First day:

and a few days ago:

Spacers ~ June 21, 2006

Joanna20

#13 Post by Joanna20 »

Hi! My teeth have done exactly the same ur have too :D! We are brace twins :P! Except now I need extractions lolololol
That is a great progress! Don't forget to update us everymonth!

Joanita :P

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February