My first week (and a bit) in braces

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jc75

My first week (and a bit) in braces

#1 Post by jc75 »

Hi Everyone

I thought I would post an update of how I am getting on now that I have my braces. The main reason I am getting braces is to reduce my overjet (I think it's about 10mm so pretty big). I was told that the best option was to get surgery but I was adamant from day one that I didn't want to go down that route so have opted for braces only. I know that the end result won't be perfect, but it will be a vast improvement.

The big day was last Wednesday, 20th December. I had my palatal arch with nance button fitted, along with my top ceramics. Fitting the braces was fine although it took a while. One of the brackets shifted slightly so the ortho had to take it off and do it again. That was the only nasty part - the bracket was stuck on quite strongly and the ortho used this funny clipper thing to break the bracket off. The sound it made was horrible - it felt as if she was cracking my entire tooth and I did panic at one stage. I don't know if this is what is used to take off all the brackets at the end of treatment but if so, I'm not looking forward to it! I've got a couple of years to wait yet though!

Once they were on I was actually quite pleased with how they looked. All the pics on this website prepared me for what to expect and when I saw them on my own teeth I thought they looked quite neat and tidy. They didn't feel too big either. The main issue at the beginning was the nance button as this felt huge in my mouth and it was very difficult to speak.

The following day I had my work Christmas party and as I was quite involved with the organisation of this, I had a lot of talking to do. So I was thrown in at the deep end but luckily there was plenty of booze to help me along and by the end of the evening you couldn't shut me up! I also managed to eat most of the food (I had ordered fish) although my mouth was still a little tender to handle the al dente green beans!

From then on I have been at home for the Christmas holidays so it has been a case of just getting on with things. It has actually been MUCH easier than I thought. From day one I have not needed to take a single pain killer and I have not yet had a single ulcer (canker sore). I think I have been very lucky. I have also been able to eat pretty much anything I want, including a full turkey christmas dinner, mince pies and loads of chocolate (although I always brush my teeth afterwards!). I did have one funny moment last Sunday when I met up with a friend who I haven't seen in months and she had made some christmas cookies. I broke a bit off to eat and put it into my mouth but I could not for the life of me bite into it - it was just too hard. So embarrassingly I had to spit it out into a tissue in front of my poor friend who had taken all that trouble to bake them!! I ocassionally have minor discomfort from the big screw-type things on each side of the molar bands (are these cleats?) but whenever I feel a twinge I pop on a bit of wax and that takes care of it.

The only slightly annoying things I have found so far is that food sometimes gets caught around the wires either side of the nance button and of course, I have to clean my teeth after every meal. But other than that I have found the first week and a bit no problem at all and I am very happy that the process has begun. I even feel that there may even be a tiny bit of movement although I may just be imagining it. I don't mind - I am sure that will come eventually.

I am sure that all the salt rinses have been worth it! I hope this post encourages those that are soon to get their braces. I am getting my bottoms (metal) on 12 January and I am not worried at all if my experience so far is anything to go by.

I will let you know how I get on!

Bye for now.

joney

#2 Post by joney »

Hi jc75

It sounds like you've had a really good start. I too have found the experience a lot easier than I expected and have been really pleased so far. I also have a big overjet which I hope will be reduced during treatment. Did you have any extractions or are any planned? I had a bicuspid removed 1 top and 1 bottom. I have never hardly had a canker sore (mouth ulcer) previously and haven't had any with the brace either although my daughter who is also braced suffers with them. I think some people are more prone than others. I do use wax in one spot where the bracket and a spring rubs and I'm sure this helps.

The only things that I have found that have changed is that I can't eat mint humbugs now, a favourite of mine but not exactly tooth or brace friendly, so it is probably a good thing. Also I have to spend longer cleaning my teeth but that is no big deal.

I'm sure that there probably is movement in your teeth already, I noticed it within a few weeks.

Great that things have started so well for you, I hope it continues in such a positive way. Good luck on Jan 12th.

Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

jc75

#3 Post by jc75 »

Yes, I had two extractions (on the same day as you in fact, Joney). I had two top pre-molars taken out. I had a bit of trouble with one of them though - it snapped at the root as the dentist was pulling it out. I had to have it surgically removed in the end which was a bit of a bummer but it didn't really hurt. It was just a bit inconvenient as it meant my brace day was delayed. Glad to be up an running now though!

lionfish

#4 Post by lionfish »

Ow, the snapping tooth doesn't sound good.

But good on you for travelling so well thus far. Your Xmas dinner sounds great (love turkey, can't get enough of it).