The journey begins 2/2/10

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Biz

The journey begins 2/2/10

#1 Post by Biz »

Well at 54 years old I finally had my braces put on. Over the years my bottom teeth had been moving out of line - each time I asked the dentist she advised me that the only thing I could do was have braces - but could I? Vanity and other people saying it's not that bad its just you, were enough to say "no" I don't need them.

However in November 2009 my dentist said that once again my teeth seemed to have moved further back - was I willing to do anything about it? I had managed to get to see an ortho in 2006 and was seriously thinking of getting "braced", however due to a back injury I found myself in hospital in January 2007 having back surgery so a brace was the least of my worries.

A further appointment was made to see the orth I decided it was a case of now or never and really I did not want to look like a wizard old woman in my later years. The ortho remark that it was exactly 3 years to the week since I had last saw her. I explained what had happened but told her I was determined this time to go ahead. So much so that I had the moulds taken before I even left her and a date was in the diary for my fittings! 2 February seemed so long away on that cold December day but this time I knew I was going to get "braced".

Christmas and January flew by in a rush as the days do seem to these days and before I knew it February was here and I was ready to go. However not only was I having braces put on but I was also to give up smoking on the same day - after all here was my perfect chance of not putting weight on after giving up smoking, as everything I had read said eating was not the same with braces - yes a result on 2 accounts!

Having the braces put on was fine - clear on top and metal on the bottome, must admit the glue is a bit horrible if you get it in your mouth - which of course it can't not get in your mouth! Could not wait to get home and show my partner - strange but that first day I thought every one knew just by looking at me that I had a mouthful of metal but how could they?

Eating that first evening was strange - my cupboard was full of soup in readiness so all was well. Waiting for the pain to come but non - when to bed feeling this is ok.

The next few days progress well - from eating soup on the first day to eating lamb and veg on day 7. Friends never noticed the braces until I pointed them out to them and they said "hey they dont look so bad". Had a meal out with friends on day 5 - I was worried how I would be about that - but I was fine, had fish and baked spud - just eat a bit slower than everyone else but other than that it was fine.

One thing I find takes a lot of time is brushing my teeth. I find that every time I eat I have to brush, as my teeth feel so dirty. So on average I brush my teeth about 5/6 times a day - snacking has become a thing of the past as I know if I do, I will have to brush my teeth again. I use a sonic toothbrush and it really does the job - however treated myself to a Kitty Waterjet as I had read so much about them and I must admit I was so surprised by the amount of food that still comes off my teeth and braces at the end of the day - even after brushing them throughout the day! I think this will be a worthwhile investment and my teeth feel so clean afterwards. I also have Sjogrens Syndrome so I have to take a lot care of my teeth and gums as I dont produce salvia in the same volume as others .

What do I miss when wearing braces - chewing gum, crusty bread - other than that not much to date.

Sure I will want to yank these things out my mouth at some stage - but I keep telling myself that it will be worth it.

I will try and update on here as often as I feel I have news.
Biz

50+

Over 50

#2 Post by 50+ »

Yes, we need to set up a group for over 50's. I too got my braces last month (2-16-10) and I am 53. It was really not mentioned to me as an option, until one day I decided to look into it. I already had the gaps and always wanted straight teeth. I justified doing it because my bite was off as well. This treatment is to take 31 months which will include mini-plates in 6 months. Not looking forward to that part - but know it needs to be done to get the result my orthodontist wants and I want too! My best to you - keep in touch so we can share notes of our experience.

How long is your treatment estimated?

:)
50+ ceramics top and bottom as of 2-16-10
Scheduled to have braces removed on 8-16-12!!