43 & Looking Forward to Unabashed GRINNING!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Podunk

43 & Looking Forward to Unabashed GRINNING!

#1 Post by Podunk »

First of all, thanks for this site. I've perused the FAQ's and info here (including the "adults only" stuff - thanks for having that available, by the way. My hubby and I were wondering about that stuff but neither of us wanted to go web-searching for fear of finding weird things we neither needed nor wanted to see ... know what I mean?)

About me:

I'm smart, witty, and have a wee bit of creative talent (sing, draw for fun, write). My husband thinks I'm beautiful, for which I'm very grateful. I'm on the fence about that one.

I've put on significant poundage since marriage 24 years ago. Our marriage was followed in less than two years by the birth of baby number one. Baby number two came almost exactly one year later. Suffice it to say my babies aren't babies anymore.

The shape of my body (and teeth...back to the subject) is the result of cumulative habits that have led me to feel older than my 43 years. First, I smoked for a few years beginning at age 17 like an idiot. Quitting and having babies contributed in part to my weight gain combined with the fact that I pretty much sat on my butt a lot when not chasing young-uns and ate plentiful portions of the good old Southern cooking I'd grown up with (Cornbread, beans, fried everything). Nacho Cheese Doritos are another culprit. :)

About a year ago I was prompted by my body's laborious protests at climbing stairs, at walking up the driveway to get the mail (combined with acid reflux, high-blood pressure, etc) and I decided to embark on sensible weight loss. The scale said 260 and that was a wee bit too close to the 300 mark for comfort. I was already relegated to risk injured dignity by sitting in chairs that had a 225 pound limit. So, thanks to new habits learned plus the accountability of Weight Watchers, I slowly began taking control of that aspect of "me" and over 9 months have gone from 260 to 206 (and still counting down).

The next thing to tackle was my fear of the dentist and to begin to think there was something that could be done about my teeth.

Bit of background about my dentist fear:
My mom raised three children basically on her own due to divorce and low-paying jobs and always struggled to make ends meet. Braces were something she simply could not afford. For that matter, regular dental exams were also something she couldn't ever seem to scrape up the money for.

When one of us had a cavity, she'd take us to the county health department.

During one such visit, the dentist proceeded to pull a cavity-filled baby molar from my mouth with no novacaine. Upon my sudden burst of screaming, he informed me that if I didn't shut up he'd wrap a belt around my mouth.
I shut up and suffered in silence and never told my mom (I was about 8 years old).

My permanent teeth later came in crooked (and with a significant gap) but this didn't matter so much when I was a kid. I happily played with the other kids, excelled in school, and actually DREADED summer because I loved school so much.

Fast-forward to junior high when I started noticing boys. I noticed them A LOT. Thing is, the boys never noticed me. My gapped-tooth mouth may as well have served as a cloak of invisibility as far as boys were concerned.

One particular GIRL noticed me, though. This girl had the reputation of being quite the bully - very tom-boyish, loud, and cruel. One day she came up to me and said "A truck could drive through your teeth". I cried the rest of the day and the reverberation from that one phrase lingered on throughout my school years (even though noone ever again said such a cruel thing to my face).

Fast forward again to high-school: Folks are a bit more mature there. I'm doing "ok" among my peers (mainly the smart kids, though it'd be stereotypical and NOT true to say they were all geeks). I'm dating my now-hubby. He made the mistake of telling me that one of his friends said "Hey, she'd be real pretty if it wasn't for her teeth". My hubby was trying to make me feel good to relate this by continuing to say he'd stood up to that jerk, but if he'd had more maturity at the time he wouldn't have said a WORD.

Needless to say, this sent me in to another crying stint....knowing "how pretty I'd be IF IT WEREN'T FOR MY TEETH."

Fast forward to early marriage & kids: Being married so young (19) and having babies so fast, we were stupid about lots of things including finances. Medical and dental insurance were not something we even considered. Our pediatrician gave us a good cash price for seeing our kids, we knew a dentist that was fairly inexpensive for the kids (I only used him, however, to have permanent molars pulled which I'd let disintegrate due to my lack of dental care).

I no longer really gave a crap how I looked. If you like me, you like me. If you don't....SO WHAT. I was letting myself go while being a stay-at-home mom tending to kids, cooking, toting kids to functions, and church. We scraped to make ends meet.

By the time our kids were in high school, we were doing a bit better financially. Hubby had advanced in his career to a "middle income" level. I got a low-paying admin assistant job I loved (low pay because of it being a non-profit organization). Our son needed braces. So, we took him for an orthodontic appointment although we still didn't have dental insurance.

I guess we raised our son right. He has wonderful self-esteem despite the fact that he has some of the same dental issues I do, but with a cross-bite on top of that! I did my best to talk him into braces (he was almost 18). However, he refused. Considering he was going overseas soon to do relief-work, it didn't seem practical at the time any way.

FAST FORWARD TO NOW (FINALLY! If you've read this far, I applaud you).
I have gotten dental insurance through my job but had put off seeing a dentist due to the unreasoning fear. In fact, I finally got the gumption to go this Monday due to a cavity and a rotten baby tooth that had just fallen off (leaving the root). Amazingly, they did a cleaning ONCE (no scaling or second cleaning) and said my gums are in good shape. They filled the cavity and pulled the remaining root. Oh...I didn't mention that that baby tooth's permanent buddy had erupted 5 years earlier ON THE ROOF OF MY MOUTH behind the baby.

At this point, rather than just leaving and continuing on the way things were, I got bold enough to ask the dentist "what can you do for me"? I'd half wanted to ask him to pull the front teeth (gapped but healthy) and give me a partial (to replace them and the missing molars). I knew better than to ask that, though, as lots of people I've spoken with assured me it's better to keep your own teeth for as long as you can.

My dentist said braces would be the next best step, followed with dental implants for the molars or partials (if the implants were out of my range). I'm thinking at this point...dare I do it? can I afford it? We're doing "OK", but with the economy like it is do I rsik a monthly payment? I talked to my hubby about it and he assured me that if this is something I needed to do then we'd MAKE a way to afford it. I have TMD issues, as well, and have read that braces often help with that issue when your bite is corrected.

So, I made an appointment for Thursday after first downloading the orthodontist's paperwork, completing that online, and getting pre-approved for a payment plan (yay...our credit has improved greatly over the years and I qualified for a no-interest payment plan).

At the orthodontist's office, they decked me all out with mouth paraphernalia 'til I looked like a grinning skull. Took pics, tapped my teeth (particularly the one in the roof of my mouth to make sure it hadn't fused to the bone). Did an impression for a mold (gaggy pink stuff!)

As the exam was finishing, I found out they had an unexpected opening...and before I know it I'm decked out in braces except for one rear molar which, due to a very tight squeeze, needed a spacer (gotta go back in a week to have the bracket put on). I'm new to all this and don't know all the technical terms but I was told my back teeth on either side meet well (no bite issues there), but I have some crowding issues with the front bottom teeth. Regarding my top teeth, besides the gap (which, as I was told once upon a time, a truck could drive through) I have pegged laterals on either side of the front teeth which are both rotated almost sideways. My dentist told me once those are straightened I can get them capped to make them more normal-sized.

One thing to come: labial frenectomy. My ortho told me that my frenum is very low. If I don't have that frenum cut, my teeth will just space right back out. Anyone have any experience with that? I've heard it's rather painful, plus I'm already wincing at the possible financial cost!

I got the Damon System, and according to my orthodontist I will only need to wear them for 12 -15 months if all goes according to plan. I also only have to come in once every 8 weeks for adjustments.

I'm cautiously optimistic and hopeful that one day I will have a nice smile and can easily chew whatever I want. They had to put two temporary "bumper" things on one bottom tooth per side to keep my other teeth from hitting the rogue roof-dweller. This makes it impossible for me to fully close my teeth, hence making it VERY difficult to chew.

onefastchick

#2 Post by onefastchick »

Welcome and congrats on getting braced! I dont have any experience with a frenectomy but wanted to say hello! This site has been so wonderful for getting information, if you do a search on frenectomy I know there are a couple of threads on it.
[/url]

Click on the WWW for my story!

Spacers 6/7/10
Top brackets 6/15/10
Bottom brackets ?

Jay04

#3 Post by Jay04 »

Congrats on your braces. Its very true that hurtful comments about your teeth do seem to stick with you. I remember my friend telling me I needed braces when I was a teenager. I don't think I've smiled showing my teeth in many photos since then.

I love this site too. I love seeing the changes in peoples teeth when they put up new photos. Hope you get around to adding some photos of your braces too, as it really makes you feel great when you notice your teeth moving. Hopefully i'll be adding some more photos of my own at the end of the month.

I have problems chewing too as none of my teeth actually meet anymore thanks to my removable brace. You kind of get used to it though. I still cant seem to chew salad which annoys me as I love it, so I think i'm just going to live off potatoes for the next 18 months :P
Braces Removed - 14th July, 11
My Braces Story: http://archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=35442

ashesgap

#4 Post by ashesgap »

One of the members here just had the frenectomy (sp?) and i'm pretty sure it was in the 100-200 range, and not as painful as she thought it would be.
Overall i haven't as much pain as i thought i would...so just know it doesn't hurt for long.
Good luck!
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

Podunk

Thanks for the welcome!

#5 Post by Podunk »

Thanks! Good to know a frenectomy isn't that pricey.

Also, I would like to post pics one day and look forward to seeing other folks' before-during-and-afters.

I have another question for y'all experienced folks (I'll post this elsewhere, too, on a more topical discussion):

Is it normal to NOT experience pain after braces? Everyone says it hurts pretty badly for 3 or 4 days after getting them as well as possibly after adjustments. My boss had them as an adult and he said the pain is like getting hit in the mouth with a hammer.

Interestingly, I have actually remained pain free...which makes me wonder: is it working or should they tighten the braces more?

Podunk

Thanks for the welcome!

#6 Post by Podunk »

Thanks! Good to know a frenectomy isn't that pricey.

Also, I would like to post pics one day and look forward to seeing other folks' before-during-and-afters.

I have another question for y'all experienced folks (I'll post this elsewhere, too, on a more topical discussion):

Is it normal to NOT experience pain after braces? Everyone says it hurts pretty badly for 3 or 4 days after getting them as well as possibly after adjustments. My boss had them as an adult and he said the pain is like getting hit in the mouth with a hammer.

Interestingly, I have actually remained pain free...which makes me wonder: is it working or should they tighten the braces more?

Podunk

Sorry for the double post

#7 Post by Podunk »

Oops. I didn't think the first had gone through.

onefastchick

#8 Post by onefastchick »

I have had my braces for 5 days now, supposedly its quite painful day 2-3 and I have yet to experience real pain. My two front teeth were sore one day but it was an ache not a pain, I didnt even take anything for it. More annoying than anything is the molar bands cutting in to my cheeks but no teeth pain... I guess I will wait for it to hit me at some point?
[/url]

Click on the WWW for my story!

Spacers 6/7/10
Top brackets 6/15/10
Bottom brackets ?

Podunk

#9 Post by Podunk »

Glad you're not in pain! I do have one place on the back bracket thing (the metal band that goes completely around the molar) that is driving me crazy. It is welded shut and that welded-together side is facing my tongue. My tongue keeps hitting along the edge and it actually got a bleeding sore the other day.

For now I just keep dental wax on it, but when I go back in Thursday for them to remove the spacer from my other molar I'm going to ask them if there's anything that can be done about that rough edge.

catgyrl

#10 Post by catgyrl »

Hi Podunk-

Welcome!

Ken is right about the "pain". I never really had any so-called "pain"; soreness, tightness and tenderness was about it. That is... until I got my wires changed last week, and an elastic added to close a gap. WHOO-BOY!!! Applesauce and mashed potatoes for dinner. It's now 2.5 days later, and I feel much better.

If you do encounter some soreness, just remember: it's par for the course and won't last forever.

-Cathy

BracketRacket

#11 Post by BracketRacket »

Congrats! I third? the pain answer -- everyone is different. I hope that I'm as lucky as you are! :wink:

Podunk

#12 Post by Podunk »

Thanks guys! On day 5 of braces and still no major pain at all BUT my teeth are starting to feel loose and when I try to bite down I get a twinge-y ache (goes away as soon as I open my bite). This is normal, though.

One thing: I have to go to the dentist this morning because when I was taking wax off the tooth covered with the band, what looks like a piece of the tooth came off with the wax! Yikes! This molar has had a significant filling in it that's lasted 15 years and I wonder if there's something going wrong with it due to the age of the filling and the trauma of having the metal band put over it. We shall see.

Other than that, I'm doing fine besides not being able to properly chew anything due to the temporary bonds.

Enjoying my cottage cheese, apple sauce, and soft banana for breakfast. This can only help my weight loss, lol.

MegP60+

43 and looking forward to unabashed grinning

#13 Post by MegP60+ »

Thanks for sharing your story. Like you, I did not experience pain after being braced, just some slight tenderness on biting down. I was worried that the braces were not working, but have had progress and movement. I also just had a first adjustment and still no pain and tenderness, which is surprising, but I'll take it! Good luck with your journey with braces and good going for all the positive things you are doing in addition, with weight loss etc.

Podunk

Dentist appt on 22nd/Ortho appt 24th

#14 Post by Podunk »

Thanks for asking, Ken. Dentist appt. went fine. The doctor filled the cavity without having to remove any brackets or wires. What I'd thought was a chip off of a tooth was a bit of the cement for the bracket, so it ended up a non-problem. I found out the dentist can definitely do a frenectomy at his office (yay!), so I scheduled it for the end of September.

The orthodontist's office removed the spacer on my lower right molar and put a bracket on and it was STILL a tight fit. They had to remove the lower wire to put new on to include this bracket and MAN did it feel weird already to have the wire off. Then, once they put the new wire in it hurt like fire for just a few minutes until I got used to it and now it's fine.

They also (mercifully) were able to buff down the temporary bumper things so I have a bit closer of a bite now. Also, they buffed off the lugs from the back of the two molar brackets to make it a smoother finish.

I go back in in seven weeks to be re-wired and checked.

Podunk

On a sad note...lol (I'm getting old

#15 Post by Podunk »

After the orthodontist I went to pick up my new pair of glasses...BI-FOCALS.