NervousNewbie's story

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BraceFace2o1o

#16 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

NervousNewbie wrote:That's probably the part of me that suffers from major anxiety...
Hi NervousNewbie... I just wanted to say I know exactly what you're going through (with regards to feeling nervous) as I too suffer with anxiety problems, I have done for 10 years (since I was 14) and it has a major effect on most of my every day life! I was even nervous the night before the consultation, yes, to most that probably sounds stupid - but that's just how I am and I am still unable to 'control' it.
NervousNewbie wrote:I am going to TRY to not make the typical, "What have I done?" post, because, I come to figure, I'm GOING to feel that way and I'm already EXPECTING it
I think it's good that you are expecting to feel that way and hopefully you'll be able to quickly think to yourself "this is normal and part of the process, I'll be fine with this soon enough".

It's a weird feeling, feeling excited and nervous at the same time huh? But I am sure you WILL be fine :D
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

LeahRuth

#17 Post by LeahRuth »

Congratulations, today is your big day!

I also suffer from bad anxiety, and have so for the last 8 years. I had a lot of anxiety going into the whole braces journey, and for my first several adjustments. But then I realized it's no big deal, and I'm in and out of that chair like it's nothing.

Don't feel bad if you have to make a "what have I done?!" post. I think it's something we all experience and we can have group pity parties! :P

NervousNewbie

#18 Post by NervousNewbie »

Thanks everyone!

Just as a quick aside - I completely understand everyone who says they have anxiety which affects their every day life. There are several things I do, on a daily basis, to try to avoid anxiety inducing situations... things that aren't ordinary for most people, which have become ordinary for me.

Anyhow... :!:

I left work, drove about 40 minutes to get to the office, then waited for 30 minutes for my appointment because they had an emergency before me. My appointment ran probably about an hour and 45 minutes. I got x-rays, pictures, and molds. Then I had a series of things done to my teeth, mostly had to do with preparing them for the brackets. A lot of rinsing and spitting. Then finally the brackets, then the wire, then the spacers.

None of it hurts expect for the spacers, and honestly the spacers probably wouldn't have been that bad except the ortho assistant tried to put them in with one tool, then said that was too big and tried another tool, then tried floss and couldn't get them, so she would have them a little bit and then have to take them back out. Finally she called in the ortho and he got them in quickly! Though it hurt, it was by far the quickest part of the process!

I went back to work, and, the girl who sits next to me unfortunately is a loudmouth and pretty much made me uncomfortable right away by yelling, "So you have your braces now?!" UGH. :roll: I was mortified when another girl came up and said, "So I hear you have braces!" because this confirmed that everyone heard my loudmouth neighbor. Well, then she told me, she had braces for 4 years and has to get them again! So this actually made me feel better. She was supportive.

Everything else is basically just what everyone else says after braces. They just feel HUGE. My mouth dries quickly so I'm always drinking water but for some reason I'm not so good at drinking without drooling a bit. :oops: I have to almost relearn to drink! I tried to eat my first "meal" (cottage cheese) and it was frustrating for me, because I honestly was having a hard time differentiating if I had food on/in my teeth or if those were just the braces!

As far as pain, only soreness so far, though I've been taking Ibuprofen and Tylenol. I felt around to make sure nothing was poking me, but surprise, surprise, just a few hours later, I'm being poked! I was going to just let my cheek keep getting poked and let the scar tissue build up, but I figured to give myself a break on the first day and stick some wax on there. I couldn't actually really get the wax to break off. It's kind of stuck to the container it came in, and when I tried to pick some off of the end of the stick, I just had little bits come out from under my fingernails. I finally did get some though and gobbed it on the offending bracket/wire.

My ortho gave me a toothbrush, a proxa brush, wax, and floss, and those little colored tablets. Nothing exciting. They said they were going to give me a t-shirt that I could wear to the appointments to get points, and then the points add up and at the end of treatment I can get a gift certificate, but all of my adjustments will be right after work so I wouldn't be able to wear the t-shirt anyhow so I didn't ask about it when they forgot to give it to me.

Well anyhow, I'm happy to say it's been pretty uneventful so far! A tad bit of frustration only because of being extremely self conscious, and at the annoyance of having something new (and huge-feeling) in my mouth, but other than that everything has gone just as expected.

Thanks so much for the encouraging words everyone!

Braced September 23, 2010
Debraced February 20, 2014
Estimated Treatment Time: 24 months
Actual Treatment Time: 41 months

My Journey

NervousNewbie

#19 Post by NervousNewbie »

Aaah no edit button!

I did forget to mention... some people call them, molar build-ups, and I think maybe that is what I got but I'm not sure.

Basically what they did is took a bunch of glue and put it on only one of my molars because I have an overbite and the back of my top teeth were touching the front of my bottom teeth, and I would have surely knocked all of those brackets off. Unfortunately now I really can't chew because my teeth don't touch at all when I try to bite down. So that makes things pretty difficult and I think that might be part of my issue with drinking as well, that I tend to drool some of it out. I'll just have to learn to eat and drink than a different way than that of which I am accustomed.

My Journey

catgyrl

#20 Post by catgyrl »

YAAAAY!!!!

Congratulations, and welcome to the braced club!

First off, I applaud you for (1) going to work beforehand, and (2) going BACK to work after. I took the whole darn day off when I got mine. In fact, I always take the day off for my adjustments, just in case they do something that causes me extreme discomfort. Plus... I just like to take a day off every month. :lol:

Second - yes, those spacers are a pain in the butt! My ortho assistant couldn't get mine in, either, and he had to come over and give it come elbow grease, and even HE had a hard time. By far, that was the worst part of my process - getting those spacers in. Once you get the molar bands in (which isn't a picnic, either, but not as bad as the spacers), the worst is done.

Girl - I drool, spit, lisp and everything in between! Not all at once, though. :D Just go with the flow and laugh about it. I didn't realize how different I sounded until yesterday when I called a former coworker I hadn't spoken to in over a year. She didn't know it was me on the phone and said I sounded "different".

Don't be stingy with the wax. Yes, it is a bit difficult to get used to it at first (I still have problems getting it to stick sometimes). Right now I have two HUGE gobs of it on my upper canines, and I'm at work, so I hope nobody makes me laugh, because they sure will get an eyeful. :wink:

The novelty of your braces will wear off at work, and nobody will even talk about it anymore. The only time mine are ever discussed is when I have to turn down something that I'm offered to eat, and they ask me "Why not?" Now I just point to my mouth, and that usually ends the subject.

Congrats again, and I'm very proud of you. Post some pics!!
-Cathy

NervousNewbie

#21 Post by NervousNewbie »

catgyrl wrote: The novelty of your braces will wear off at work, and nobody will even talk about it anymore. The only time mine are ever discussed is when I have to turn down something that I'm offered to eat, and they ask me "Why not?" Now I just point to my mouth, and that usually ends the subject.

-Cathy
Today at work a friend of mine says, "Oh would you like some gum? Just kidding." She knows me and knew it was okay to say that to me because we are friends, haha. If someone else had said it I probably would have been a little bit upset! So far nobody has been rude, but people are quite curious. I think you're right though... nobody else is going to care but me after a few days. :)

My Journey

NervousNewbie

#22 Post by NervousNewbie »

My pics -

My Journey

blackapple

#23 Post by blackapple »

How are you feeling today? Hope your brace day went okay.

catgyrl

#24 Post by catgyrl »

Niiiiice braces!

Did your ortho tell you that the colored dots on the front of the brackets will come off with brushing? Mine didn't... I had to find out from ARCHWIRED!!! haha A couple of good brushings should do the trick.

-Cathy

NervousNewbie

#25 Post by NervousNewbie »

Thank you blackapple! I am fine, but in all fairness, I haven't really given myself a chance to feel pain because I'm taking Ibuprofen and Tylenol. If I stopped taking it I don't know if I would feel pain or not. I just feel a lot of pressure and soreness mostly but nothing I can't handle for sure! So people shouldn't be worried! :)

I do think now that my inner mouth really must be more irritated than I realize... I brushed my teeth and even the Sensodyne toothpaste made the inside of my lip BURN! I think my brackets are rubbing up against the inside but since I'm on the meds I don't really feel it too much. Like I posted before, I did glob some wax on the bracket where I'm being poked, and I even forgot it was there and forgot to take it out before I started brushing! OOPS!

My Journey

NervousNewbie

#26 Post by NervousNewbie »

Thanks catgyrl!

Sorry, didn't see your post until after I replied to this one!

But yes, they did tell me about that. I really hope they do come off! Tonight I probably didn't brush as well as I should have because I'm still kind of trying to figure it out and was scared to put a lot of pressure on... I brushed lightly, and I'm not really even sure if I got my actual teeth or just my gums. I will keep practicing. I underestimated how difficult brushing would be so it might take even longer for my dots to come off!

My Journey

TrolleyDolly

#27 Post by TrolleyDolly »

Congratulations and welcome to the club!

I too have molar buildups and nearly 3 weeks into my treatment and I hardly notice them, so it does get easier I promise! You soon learn how to pulverise things on them and once you do start eating more solid food they somehow mould down to your bite and feel less like a small mountain in your mouth.

On the subject of gum, I've chewed sugar free with no adverse effects, it didn't stick to my metalwork or buildups! I read a post on here suggesting chewing if your teeth hurt and to get the blood flowing. I found it very therapeutic and now have a pack of gum in my handbag!

Good luck with your journey, look forward to reading your updates :D

Braced: 6th September 2010
Sentance: 20 months

NervousNewbie

#28 Post by NervousNewbie »

Thanks! I've considered chewing sugarless gum and even using it in lieu of wax because the wax they gave me is just terrible, but I haven't tried it yet. My ortho said NO gum whatsoever but I know a lot of people here chew it.

My Journey

catgyrl

#29 Post by catgyrl »

NervousNewbie-

I don't have any intention of going against your ortho's orders, but mine told me that a lot of the "no-no" things that are on his list are mostly aimed at his younger patients, and that for the adults, he mostly asks us to use "common sense" when it comes to the things we eat.

For instance, he prescribed a fluoride toothpaste for me to use twice a day. Well, when I went to pick it up, I found out it was $11 a pop! I mentioned that to him, and he said that since I was so diligent with my hygiene, I could just use it once a day. Also, I asked about using a toothpaste with baking soda and peroxide that is said to remove surface stains (because my teeth stain, no matter what I eat or drink). He said that those types of toothpastes don't have a high enough concentration of actual "whitening" ingredients, so there won't be a discrepancy between the covered area under the brackets and the area around them. (I know this for a fact because I had my metal brackets replaced with ceramic after 3 months of using that toothpaste, and there was no difference whatsoever.) However... he tends to just say "no whitening toothpastes" in general because the kids might think it's okay to start using actual bleaching products (Crest whitestrips, gel, etc.

I guess it's just easier to say "No" then spend an hour explaining which are definite "no" and which are "maybe... with care". Plus, he knows that we adults will ask 1,000,001 questions anyway.

So... I say give it a try and just be ultra careful with things. I actually tried using gum in place of wax, but it was too mushy and didn't stay in place. You won't need the gum all the time - just for "ouchy" times. If it starts sticking really bad, just stop. No biggie. My ortho doesn't know HALF of the stuff I eat; he doesn't ask, and I don't tell. :wink:

-Cathy

NervousNewbie

#30 Post by NervousNewbie »

Thanks a lot! That does make sense. :) I've heard also chewing sugar free gum can help with the pain. I can't even touch my teeth together without pain so I'm not ready to try that yet but maybe in a few days I can try that!

My Journey