Starting the process...

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

huddy

Starting the process...

#1 Post by huddy »

No pics yet, I need to ask my ortho if he'll give them out!

I'm 21 years old. I sucked my thumb until I was 9, so I have a massive overbite (overjet?). Either way, my top teeth completely cover my bottom teeth with my bite... Bottom teeth just sort of settled in to the empty part of my top teeth, but only in the front. The back of my bite lines up great.

As a result, my front teeth have caved inward. I guess they got wanted to hook up with my lower front teeth. This makes me a Type 2, Class II, whatever that is, and also makes it so that my smile isn't all that attractive.

So I took the plunge after thinking about it for a few months. I got ceramic braces put on my top teeth today; I guess I'll have them on for a few months before my bottoms / elastics are applied. My bottom teeth are relatively problem free--there just needs to be something to grip to in order to bring my jaw forward...

I'm a little nervous. The ortho says I'll be in treatment 24-30 months, which seems awfully long considering how little tooth straightening is required. Really, it's mostly the overbite. I guess that's what I get for not wanting surgery. (For the record, I don't think it's at all bad enough to warrant surgery...My chin doesn't look receeded, anyway.) He's seen a whole lot of patients, though, and I don't get that skeevy feeling when I don't trust a doctor with him.

So, here's to hoping these next 2 - 2.5 years will go FAST! :)

BracedSurgeryStudent

Re: Starting the process...

#2 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

hey your situation sounds almost exactly like mine only I never sucked my thumb. I tihnk you're smart by notgging the surgery the risks arent worth it. Esp if you look fine from the outwardness. I think it's awesome you went through with it. Yeah my treatment time is exactly 30 months. My teeth aside from 3 are SLightly out of place. So I feel you.
Jenn Medeiros

huddy

#3 Post by huddy »

Glad to hear someone else is in my situation! I'm scared of having such a long treatment time but seemingly not much to fix.

Day 2 -- feel finee. I can't bite with my front teeth (but they told me I'd want to avoid this as much as possible anyway). A little sore around the incisors. My teeth feel wiggly.

The only issue I'm finding so far is that my bite doesn't seem to fit right anymore, so chewing, while possible, is a bit awkward. Dunno if its just the tenderness from the braces, but I can't seem to put my lower teeth where they should go...hmmm.

I wonder if I'm going to have to have any extractions. My mouth is huuge. My wisdom teeth never popped out, but there's still lots of room back there. The ortho didn't mention any extractions, hmmmmm.

klobird

#4 Post by klobird »

Congratulations!! Your teeth are already on the move! That's why your bite feels so weird. My bite feels weird a lot, so then I go look in the mirror to see what's happening...!

Your bite can feel just fine before you walk into the ortho for your next adjustment and then you walk out with it completely off--that's how fast things move--I love it! And before you know it your teeth start looking great and you wonder why they need to be on any longer...... :BigGrin:

alimorgan71

#5 Post by alimorgan71 »

I am also 21 and about to start the process. I look forward to following your story.

BracedSurgeryStudent

#6 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

Indeed. If your mouth is big you might not need extractions other than your (maybe impacted) Wisdom Teeth. That's how I feel about treatment or did when I first started this journey.

That's a bit different I could eat any and everything with my front teeth but for my back teeth it killed SOOOOO BAD.

Yeah mine did not at first because the teeth were coming cloer together and having all that pressure from not being used to the braces.

You SHOULD get your wisdom teeth out because if they are in fact impacted when you get your braces off the wisdom teeth will just mess up all that long hard work in braces. No really! It happened to my friend who went through a two phase treatment both being 2.5-3 yrs each phase. Despite wearing the retainer.
Jenn Medeiros

huddy

#7 Post by huddy »

I will talk to my ortho to see if he has any extraction plans at my next visit ..

I am starting to develop one problem. I have had these on for only a few days and I am starting to notice white spots on the edges of my front teeth. Oh no.... I think they are decalcification spots. I am brushing two to three times a day, a lot more rigorously than I ever have in the past. I've never felt better about my oral health... Even my gums (once an issue) are massively improved. So why the white spots?

I am worried as I know these can be permanent. I did an online search and someone mentioned they may appear when you breathe with your mouth open in your sleep (allergies have caused this a lot more lately...) But I don't know! Ah. Does anyone have experience with these? So early?

huddy

#8 Post by huddy »

Hmmm. After a bit more research I am realizing this probably isn't the case. I have no history of tooth decay (not a one cavity and I eat sugar like oxygen!). It could be flourosis from when I was growing up (doubtful), dehydration (likely) or cement (likely). I will not panic! I brush, floss and wash twice a day at least. To reassure myself I will get fluoride rinse.

As far as the brace experience .... Pain is minor. I take ibuprofen. Issues with biting and chewing but they are more due to realignment than anything else. I am eating a lot of yogurt, cottage cheese, soup and Naked Fruit smoothies (I don't think I'll ever go back to whole fruit!).

All in all not a bad experience. I'm excited to show off my train tracks. I smile huge at every opportunity !

My cat is snoring next to me ... Poor gal. I need to get her in to the vet, but I think she just has chronic snoring problems. It's a little adorable.