Being a 24 year old girl with bracing

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jesshasbraces24

Being a 24 year old girl with bracing

#1 Post by Jesshasbraces24 »

I wish I started my blog before I got them on, but I'll catch you all up on where I've been. I'm on day 3 of my braces sentence...and it hasn't been the easiest of days.

So, a little about me. My name is Jess and I've never had very high confidence, I'm extremely shy due to my teeth. My orthodontist asked me when we first met what I don't like about my smile, I quickly replied "Everything." as tears swelled up in my eyes. There are countless times in my life that I felt hideous because of my teeth. There are countless times I hid from cameras instead of smiling next to my beautiful friends. So many people that I've met thought I was stuck up because I don't like drawing attention to myself and my teeth. I'm so sick of not feeling ashamed when I see an "action" photo of myself laughing.

When I got the chance to put a down payment and go through a university to get it done, I took it. I took a boring job because of their dental insurance, had all my cavities filled (10 of them)and told the orthodontics department that I wanted braces on as soon as an opening became available. Here I am. 24 with braces. Sure, I am proud of myself for having the courage to do it and also for paying for all of this stuff alone. I know that it will get better, I know that no one really cares that I have braces, I know that it will be worth it in the end.

I KNOW ALL OF THE REALITIES of this situation. But can I just say, that doesn't make it suck any less. I'm sure I'll feel better about them when I see progress, but in this moment 2 years of an even uglier smile is really depressing. The fact that I have an overgrown upper jaw/overgrown gums, and thin lips doesn't help. My tiny teeth look even smaller with the bulky braces. I WAS lucky enough to get ceramic on top free of charge due to pity. I pretty much broke down in front of a bunch of students and my new orthodontist the appointment before my braces. They had to do photos of me smiling and I was so mortified, it was the first time I had purposely smiled for a picture. With each instruction to "turn this way" and "that way" while smiling I grew weaker. Until I couldn't hold back the emotional baggage any longer, and there I was, balling my eyes out uncontrollably while she took my picture.

I really want that set of photos once this is all over to remind me how far I've come, and that it was all worth it in the end...

Bracedforbraces

Re: Being a 24 year old girl with bracing

#2 Post by Bracedforbraces »

Good on you for taking the plunge. I get mine on the 22nd and I'm nervous because I'm 34 years old. All the young teens and their mums stare at me when im in the orthodontist ha ha, I bet their mums are just wishing they had the guts to do it. Most people over 30 in the uk have dodgy teeth, I no longer want to be one of them. Being a wimp though I'm scared it will hurt :?

newbrace24

Re: Being a 24 year old girl with bracing

#3 Post by newbrace24 »

I'm 24 too and just got braces on through the local university's dental school too! I'm about to post my story in a little bit, but I just wanted to say that you aren't alone!