bbbards's story

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bbbards

bbbards's story

#1 Post by bbbards »

So I thought it was about time I shared some pictures of progress so far.

To recap, I'm a 32 year old from the UK. I got upper-braced in November 2011 and lower-braced three months later. I was dreading getting my braces so I did not take any before pictures...annoyingly.

I was driven to get braced after years of hating my upper snaggle tooth. It stuck out so much and I hated it (just realised I'm talking in past tense...thats exciting!). Every check up my dentist would also nag me...I mean advise in a caring manner...about doing something to straighten them. Added to that my parents would also, helpfully, bring it up at every opportunity.

After my sister-in-law got invisalign I was spurred into action. Surely I could get the same treatment right? No. The Ortho very clearly said I would need the full works. And so after agonising over it for a few weeks I thought f*ck it. I went for it.

What's missing in the picture are the tears...yes I cried after getting it fitted...before I left the ortho...surrounded by 12 year olds way braver than me...to my shame.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BetsyBug

Re: bbbards's story

#2 Post by BetsyBug »

Welcome Bbbards!! I'm sorry it was so hard to get your braces on ))hugs(( I'm glad to hear that things are getting better and you can talk about your wonky tooth in the past tense :)
Elizabeth
Getting top and bottom traditional metal braces and bite turbos
correcting crowding, overbite, and TMJ on 3/6/2012
Turbos Removed 8/14/2012

Click for my story

bbbards

#3 Post by bbbards »

Thanks BetsyBug!

Its funny, I was so concerned about my snaggle tooth it didn't even occur to me that my lower teeth were a mess. Now they've started to straighten out I'm obsessed with them...strange.

So how long have you got to go? How well has treatment gone for you?

BetsyBug

#4 Post by BetsyBug »

My estimate for treatment is 18-24 months, so I guess I have about a year give or take a few months. I have had some ups and down with my treatment, the bite turbos were terrible, but nothing that I haven't been able to manage. I'll tell you I was/am obsessed with my lowers as well, but my lowers were the worst of the crowding that I had so I guess its natural I would obsess about them more.
My new adventure with elastics started today so I'll have to get back with you on those...LOL. So far not too bad but I premedicated before going in for my adjustment so I'm sure I will have full on elastic soreness when I get up in the morning. (wish me luck)

My best piece of advice roll with the punches and have fun with it. :) I have decided to embrace colored ligs :pinkbraces:
Elizabeth
Getting top and bottom traditional metal braces and bite turbos
correcting crowding, overbite, and TMJ on 3/6/2012
Turbos Removed 8/14/2012

Click for my story

bbbards

#5 Post by bbbards »

Time for another update. I'm to be debraced in under 12 hours. It's unbelievably exciting!!!! And also a little unreal.

I've not posted for aaaages. So I thought to while away some time counting down to the big moment I would post some progress piccies.......

February 2012
DSC03764.jpg
March 2012
DSC03772.jpg
April 2012
DSC03827.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bbbards

#6 Post by bbbards »

....continued....

May 2012
DSC03830.jpg
June 2012
DSC05900.jpg
September 2012
DSC06403.jpg

bbbards

#7 Post by bbbards »

...continued....

March 2013
DSC07928.jpg
April 2013
DSC07943.jpg
DSC07956.jpg

bbbards

#8 Post by bbbards »

So some reflections on my time!
- its a struggle to keep teeth stain free when you drink coffee, smoke cigarettes and drink red wine
- having to clean teeth after every eating event is a pain in the £@*%
- don't forgo lipstick; slap it on regardless of the braces
- i enjoyed playing with the brackets way too much - so much so that the opening for the wires is loose on some (not that i'll admit its my fault to the ortho)
- i am now obsessed with everyone's teeth - assessing their straightness/crookedness/whiteness/who's had work done and what type
- wires in mouth = painful ulcers
- smiling with your mouth closed and in an attractive manner does not come easy for some
- it's amazing how unobservant people are when you think it's the most obvious thing ever
- I hate my braces but...
- it's been worth it

debinator

#9 Post by debinator »

Awesome! :thumbsup:
50 year old kid at heart

My story:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=44406

Debraced 2/25/14 WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

rhibee83

#10 Post by rhibee83 »

Fantastic :) good luck for your debanding! Post some final pics :) :)

Tobilei

#11 Post by Tobilei »

Awesome :) They're looking great! Would also love bebanded pics :mrgreen: Congratuatlions on finishing your time in braces! So exciting!

SunshineRay

#12 Post by SunshineRay »

Congrats on being done!

bbbards

#13 Post by bbbards »

And here is the final result...

April 2013 - 531 days after bracing....
DSC07962.jpg
Suffice to say I am very happy. De-bracing went smoothly. I've got a bonded retainer on upper and lower which feels fine. I fear the removal retainer for night time wearing may take a little getting used to but hey, if I managed to forget about tonnes of metal in my mouth I will conquer it I'm sure.

So that's it now from me. To all those braced up and those just about to get braced I wish you well. It is worth it.

Tobilei

#14 Post by Tobilei »

Yay! You have a lovely smile :thumbsup: Good to know the permanent retainer isn't bothering you much. I have to decide if I want one or not and keep going back and forth on it.

rhibee83

#15 Post by rhibee83 »

YAYYY!!! Well done!!! Your teeth look great! I am still deciding on a bonded retainer as well, a few people at my work have one, so maybe I will, it might give me peace of mind :)