Extraction then braces...Braces then extraction...hummm...

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Carrie

Extraction then braces...Braces then extraction...hummm...

#1 Post by Carrie »

hi everyone...went to my ortho yesterday for the actual treatment consultation yesterday...so he tells me that i'll have my braces on first (March 1) and then a week or 2 after I'll need to have 4 teeth extracted :cry:

Did anyone have the treatment in this order? I always thought extraction first and then braces....

I would really appreciate it you could share your thoughts on what you personally think the pro and con of the 2 diff sequence of event....

THANKS SO MUCH EVERYONE :P

OnMyWay

#2 Post by OnMyWay »

I had a similar experience. I went to two consultations. One ortho said to have the teeth extracted and 10 days later they would put on the braces. The second ortho said we'll put the braces on and then you'll have the teeth pulled immediately. I asked him why put the braces on first when there really is nowhere for them to move. He said its because they are "control freaks." He said he didn't want to take the chance that my teeth would move into the extractions gaps in the 10 days between having the teeth pulled and having the braces put on. This is the route I chose to go. So I had my braces put on, teeth pulled, and then 10 days later had my first adjustment. I think it sounds like it may be similar to what they're doing for you.

CelestialVoices

#3 Post by CelestialVoices »

I've had an extraction before braces...I've never heard of it being the other way around. Sorry that I can't help you any more than that.
Good luck with everything March 1st!

oklanole

#4 Post by oklanole »

I am recently braced and I had my braces put on then four extractions.

seeminglyshy

#5 Post by seeminglyshy »

I had my braces put on in September and I wont have my teeth extracted until next week. Let see, that'll make a full 5 months before actually getting an extraction AFTER having braces put on.

Lucy was right, everyone IS different.

Good luck to you my friend!
Braced: 9/23/05

Having 4 wisdom teeth extracted: 2/17/06 *ouchie*

Ceramic on top, metal below.

Duration: 2 years

Raspberry

#6 Post by Raspberry »

I'm also in the same boat as you, I got my braces on Feb. 7th, and will have my extractions Feb 16th.

My Ortho told me that he puts the braces on so that the dentist who does the extractions knows to take the right teeth (the bracketless ones).

I have to wait til March 21 before my next adjustment.

Raspberry

#7 Post by Raspberry »

I'm also in the same boat as you, I got my braces on Feb. 7th, and will have my extractions Feb 16th. My archwires aren't even attatched to my molar bands yet...

My Ortho told me that he puts the braces on so that the dentist who does the extractions knows to take the right teeth (the bracketless ones).

I have to wait til March 21 before my first adjustment.

Raspberry

#8 Post by Raspberry »

I'm also in the same boat as you, I got my braces on Feb. 7th, and will have my extractions Feb 16th. My archwires aren't even attatched to my molar bands yet...

I have to wait til March 21 before my first adjustment.