Raspberry's Story(with Pics) Updated- May 30th/08

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Raspberry

Raspberry's Story(with Pics) Updated- May 30th/08

#1 Post by Raspberry »

I'll begin with my background.

I'm 24 and have hated my teeth for a long time. I have bad crowding, an overbite, and an overjet.

Here are some pictures of my teeth two days before my braces were put on (I can't believe I'm posting these :oops: ):

My Course of action:

Extract 4 pre-molars, and have braces on for 18 -24 months, with the possibility of jaw surgery around 3/4 through treatment.

On Feb. 7 My braces were put on :

On Feb. 16 I will be getting my 4 extractions...

So far so good. I've had a minimum amount of pain (compared to what I have read on here about others), but that may just be because my wire isn't attatched to my molar bands yet.

First Adjustment: March 21st.
Last edited by Raspberry on Fri May 30, 2008 9:05 am, edited 15 times in total.

braceface1230

#2 Post by braceface1230 »

Raspberry, hello and welcome! First off, don't feel bad about posting your pics. As I'm sure you've noticed so far, you aren't the only one with teeth you're not so happy about. We all know exactly how you feel. I must admit though, I was a little embarrassed about my pics being posted at first, but you'll soon see that everyone on this board is extremely supportive. So buck up! You're amongst friends. Well done on taking the first steps. Look forward to watching your progress.

Carrie

#3 Post by Carrie »

hi Raspberry...we're in the same shoes...hehe...."same" as in our teeth have overcrowding and i'll have my braces put on beginning of March...and 2 weeks after that I'll have my 4 extraction....one if 1st molar, 3 are 2nd set bicuspids....

best of luck to you Raspberry, i'll post some pix too when i have my braces on....and don't feel bad for posting pix cuz when u see mine u'll know that ur not alone... :D

update use on how ur extraction goes pls...i'm anxious to findout as i'll be going through the similar thing SOON as well :roll:

take care for now :)

Carrie

#4 Post by Carrie »

ps: i'm 24 as well...

belmikry

#5 Post by belmikry »

hey raspberry- glad to see the pictures- I know your smile is going to look great! you have great teeth, I wish mine were so white! :)
Braces off- 12 months 1 week in braces- estimate 18-21 months!
First time in braces- Damon 3's- 01-30-06 - 02-09-2007 hawley clear retainer on top, permenant retainer on bottom

weird_wired

#6 Post by weird_wired »

Congratulations!

And those are lovely clear photos - you will find them very useful for tracing progress later on.

Raspberry

#7 Post by Raspberry »

Thanks all for the warm welcome.

Carrie:
I'm glad to know that I have someone with a similar problem.. I'll be sure to post every detail on how my extractions go.

Along with both being 24, we're both from Canada! Are you sure you don't have a long lost twin somewhere :lol:

belmikry:
Thanks for the great compliment. No one has ever told me my teeth were white. I always thought they were pretty yellowish...
I went with the light blue ligs on the bottom because I heard that blue tones in lipstick make your teeth look whiter! (the same must be true for ligs!)

KK & weird_wired & mookyyzed:
Thanks for the kind words as well! BRING ON THE PROGRESS!!!

Raspberry

#8 Post by Raspberry »

February 16th - Extractions

I went yesterday to have my 4 premolars extracted. I left the office with 3 done, and 1 to go.
A year ago I had my 4 wisdom teeth extracted, and it was a very bad experience for me. For some reason some parts of my nerves around my teeth don't freeze, and my teeth have very weird and crooked roots, probably from the crowding.

So yesterday I was very scared about the extractions, even though I kept telling myself that it wouldn't bother me. I am also very afraid of the needles, I don't know why.

The girl doing my extractions (a student from the Dental university) was very comforting and understanding. She explained extactly what they were going to do.

After a lot of needles, and about 3 1/2 hours they had 3 teeth out, and as much of the freezing needles as they are allowed to give in one day. My roots were really strange, almost like little a little hook on one, and a "Y" looking root on another, after the third I wasn't up for looking at anymore teeth. They wouldn't let me have them because they use them to study at the university.

Last night I wasn't feeling very well, but today I'm feeling a lot better. I'm really worried about the 4th tooth that needs to come out. I am happy though that things are on their way, I just keep telling myself that my teeth are really going to start moving soon.

I won't post pictures yet, cause things still look pretty gross.

Carrie

#9 Post by Carrie »

hi Raspberry, ur right! i just noticed ur from Canada too!!...lol...

glad to hear that your extractions went fine (ur alot braver than me, cuz to be honest i have no idea how i'll handle it..yikes) :cry:

did you get general anesthesia or local? i'm considering the alternatives...i'm kinda afraid of going under general anesthesia, but at the same time local is kinda freaky cuz i'll be fully awake...lol...

could you share your thoughts? thanks Raspberry (fyi: i have 4 extractions....3 are bicuspids and 1 is 1st upper molar)

Raspberry

#10 Post by Raspberry »

I've never been under General Anesthesia, so I can't tell you how that feels. Most people who've explained it to me say it's like one second you're talking to the doctor and getting drowzy, the next you are awake and everything is done.

I was under local anesthetics for these 3 extractions, as well as my 4 wisdom teeth, and I'd have to say i wish that I wasn't awake for the whole thing.. there is no way that i'm brave, i was shaking and almost hyperventilating with the needles and the pulling, it just didn't feel good for me... but my teeth are just strange. and my nerves are so hard to freeze.

If you can afford it I would say to go for the General Anesthesia. I know around here it's $250 everytime they give it to you, and more for how long you are under it, plus extractions. That's why I opted to just have the local. Sometimes you just don't want to know what they are doing to you, and some of the tools are a little scary.

Hope this helps!

Raspberry

#11 Post by Raspberry »

February 28th - Final Tooth Extracted

I went to my regular Dentist yesterday morning to have my last premolar extracted... I'm happy to say things went great.

I was so freaked out after the last few extractions, that I barely slept all night. My appointment was at 8:30am, and they took me in right away. They asked a few questions, and I chatted with the hygenist (who also has braces) for a bit, and then the Dr. gave me a few needles and tested to see if it was froze, then gave me a few more cause it wasn't.

He said he was going to wiggle the tooth abit to see if it would come loose. The next thing I knew he said "All done", I thought he meant all done wiggling the tooth, but he meant all done pulling the tooth! It only took about 20mins for the whole thing, and I was talking to the Hygenist for 5 while the freezing set in.

By last night I was Moving furniture and eating Burger King food!
I guess some extractions aren't so bad!

Raspberry

March 12- The straightning of the wire...

#12 Post by Raspberry »

I just took some progress pics and noticed that my wire is getting straigher... it's not so much like a rollercoaster now.. YAY

Let me know if you see it too... I may just be wanting to see change :P

Day 1-

Week 5-

I go for my first adjustment on March 21st, where they will be attatching my archwire to the molar bands! YAY... I can't wait to see more progress

Flora2006

#13 Post by Flora2006 »

There is defintely movement: the wire is getting straigh and that tooth is really coming forward!!

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

belmikry

#14 Post by belmikry »

congrats raspberry! both your top and bottom wire is much straighter- and look at how much your upper right incisor has moved in! wish mine looked like that! :? :lol:

congrats on week 5- can't wait to see all of your improvements!
Braces off- 12 months 1 week in braces- estimate 18-21 months!
First time in braces- Damon 3's- 01-30-06 - 02-09-2007 hawley clear retainer on top, permenant retainer on bottom

weird_wired

#15 Post by weird_wired »

Wow that is some real progress you are seeing!

It makes it all worthwhile when you first notice this stuff.