sleater's story so far (pics)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sleater

sleater's story so far (pics)

#1 Post by sleater »

I got my braces today!!! They don't seem to hurt so far, but I am sure they will start to ache soon enough. I had upper and lowers put on, unfortunately they were unable to put one of my molar bands on. So they had to put spacers back in and then next Saturday I have to go back to have the last molar band put on. She even attached powerchains already to start closing the spaces from the extractions. Below are some pictures that I have taken so far along the way. My mouth is pretty messed up! I will post more pics before my next adjustment.

before extractions
after extractions
during - My girlfriend thought it would be funny to get this shot. She showed it to me after she took it and I laughed so hard I started to choke.
after

So here is a bit more info about me. I'm 29 and always wanted to get braces as my teeth have been messed up since I was about 10. I grew up in a single parent home and my mum could never afford to get my mouth fixed. Throughout my twenties I always thought yeah it would be great to be able to get braces but I always thought it would cost too much. It was always that thing that I would do if I won a lottery. My dentist who I have been going to for 10 years now always bugged me about how my teeth were going to fall out if I didn't get them fixed. My gums have gotten much worse over the years because of the crowding and in the past year I have been going for cleanings every 3 months. My partner and I talked about it and decided that I should go for a consult just to see if this would be an option. Then to our surprise we found out that my girlfriends work covers 50% up to $2000 of orthodontics. I was so excited; I couldn't believe I was going to finally get my mouth fixed. I went to two consults with Ortho’s. The first wanted to charge me $7000 (not including x rays or molds) plus he was determined for me to have jaw surgery, something I have decided against. The second consult was with the ortho I chose. She quoted me at $4600 including everything and said she would take my 10mm overbite down to 3-4mm without surgery. I had my 4 extractions of my first pre molars a week ago, spacers three days later and braces today. I have been told this could take 24 months but I am prepared if it takes longer...I'm not in a hurry to get them off...yet. I am just so happy to finally be doing something I never thought I'd ever be able to do.

fozzy

#2 Post by fozzy »

Congratulations! Welcome to the club. :)
For me, my teeth were tender around dinner time the night I got them on, and the next day was really sore. I started feeling better after the third day.
I look forward to watching your progress! :D

braceface1230

#3 Post by braceface1230 »

Awesome!! You got braced, and we all know how exciting it is for that to happen after waiting for soo long to have it done. I hated my teeth for as long as I could remember, and for good reason too. So finally getting braced was the best thing that happened to me in a long time.

When looking at yours, it reminded me of a fellow who's on this site... Dodger (UK). Check his story out, I think you'll be pretty amazed at how his smile turned out. I think his is in this section (our braces stories) somewhere. It looks like you two share some of the same characteristics so it might give you some idea of how your ortho may go about your treatment.

Well, thanks for sharing your pics. Good luck and I look forward to following your progress.

braces-boy

#4 Post by braces-boy »

Interesting, nice to see the pics of the braces just after they were fitted as on leaflets etc, there is usually just a few pics of the braces on straight teeth.
Thanks for sharing.

Kell

#5 Post by Kell »

Congratulations! I know you're going to love watching the wire get more and more straight as time goes by.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

snowbunny

#6 Post by snowbunny »

Congratulations Sleater. I love that photo of you in the chair and I laughed my head off too! Thanks for sharing it with us. I think we all need a big dose of sense of humour when we're going through this.
Great lig colours too!
For breakfast, I'm having a slice of soft brown bread with butter...I was thinking of having porridge but we're all out of oats and I'm too lazy to wander round the shop.
Good luck.
Upper metals on 10th Feb 2006
Estimated treatment time 9-12 months

butterfly

#7 Post by butterfly »

Welcome :D It is so nice to see someone new joining - every day!

There is one thing I don't get after reading the story 3 times (English is not my native language)... How can your *girlfriend*'s work cover *your* braces? How is that possible? I think I must confuse something :?:
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner

sleater

#8 Post by sleater »

There is one thing I don't get after reading the story 3 times (English is not my native language)... How can your *girlfriend*'s work cover *your* braces? How is that possible? I think I must confuse something
My girlfriend is my common law spouse. Her work has same-sex benefits. In Canada, most if not all workplaces have same-sex benefits. We are getting married in August...as it is legal here in Canada. We are very lucky!!

Thank you everyone for your encouraging comments!

sleater

sleater

#9 Post by sleater »

Hi bracedagain!

My girlfriend took the picture of me in the chair. We brought our own camera with us. Yeah keep a journal of pics is a great way to watch our progress. Good luck with your treatment.

sleater

hannah164

#10 Post by hannah164 »

Welcome Sleater to this awesome board! :-1

Congratulatiosn on finally getting braced! :thumbsup: :dance: :-#) :banana:

I'll bet you see a lot of progress soon! :D That wire will start to straighten out quickly!

I did find that picture of you in the chair pretty funny! :lol:

BTW: I like your lig colors!

Good luck and keep us posted! :computer:

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Last Adjustment was 2/1/06 where they bonded a bracket to my cuspid, which was impacted!!!! OUCH!

OnMyWay

#11 Post by OnMyWay »

wow, who knew workplaces in canada provided same-sex benefits and that marriage was legal. I guess Canada and the US are quite different after all.

belmikry

#12 Post by belmikry »

welcome sleater! great to hear that your girlfriend's insurance is helping- nothing like the burned hole in my pocket o_o...

your going to look fantastic- can't wait to see your progess! :)

ps: congrats on your engagment! as another proud Canadian, I think it's about time its legal! :)
Braces off- 12 months 1 week in braces- estimate 18-21 months!
First time in braces- Damon 3's- 01-30-06 - 02-09-2007 hawley clear retainer on top, permenant retainer on bottom

sleater

#13 Post by sleater »

Hi!

I had my first adjustment yesterday, ouch! Right now my teeth are pretty damn sore. But after comparing the new photo's I just took to the old photos and I can't believe how much they have moved...well at least the top teeth. So far it's been a month since I had the braces put on. I've only had a bit of pain (not as much as I thought) and not too much rubbing on my gums.

Before (one month ago)

After (first adjustment)

Before (one month ago)

After (first adjustment)

Before (one month ago)

After (first adjustment)

I'm so happy with my progress so far! At this rate they will be relatively straight by my wedding in August.

samantha_lou

#14 Post by samantha_lou »

Wow, that is incredible progress Sleater, congrats! :D

kel

#15 Post by kel »

Hi Sleater,

Congratulations you have had some great movement!! :jump:

Good luck with the rest of your journey!