Fixing my overjet!!!-Jesslzz's Braces Story with pics

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jesslzz 01

#16 Post by Jesslzz 01 »

A small progress is a progress anyway!

February 2, 2006

Yes, it has been less than a month, but I can notice some progress!!!
Here are my pics:

Before treatment

Today pic

The progress may not be really noticeable, but, as it usually happens with anything in the mouth, I feel quite a big change. My front incisor is getting back at almost the same lever of its pair, and my really crooked-chipped tooth is rotating! I never thought I would experience changes so soon. Even my best friend told me that he could see a little difference. I'm so happy that I'm even forgiving my cleats for causing me so much tongue pain :lol:

I had to make an unscheduled appointment at my ortho's office around the 15th, because I couldn't stand the spacers anymore. My new lower bands were a little pain for a couple of days: my bite had changed dramatically. But I'm used to it now (I can't believe how often I'm saying that lately).

My transparent ligs had stained so I asked him to change them. I had only two colors available, red and blue. I tried blue this time, and I like it! The color is not as beautiful as some of the ones you people use, but I prefer a color than stained yellow!!! (I hope my ortho improve his color selections...I'm sure I'll ask him soon)

I'm so crazy that I'm wearing always some blue on my clothes to match my ligs :D . I really like this changing colors feature of braces! I'm dying to try purple, as KK!!! Or pink!

I will have to reschedule my next appointment to the 15th maybe. (It was scheduled for the 9th, but I will take a short holiday so I won't be here) I'm anxious to get an adjustment and keep watching progress, but I'm not so excited about getting my lower braces. I'm eating almost everything now, including sandwiches, :shock: and I'm sure I won't be able to do that with the full set :?

Top braces on: January 9th, 2006. Lowers on February 14th, 2006
Full metalmouth!

Dark_angel

#17 Post by Dark_angel »

jsslzz i have a very similar case to yours class II division I but only my overject is 9mm. Hope things are getting along okay and it'll all be worth it in the end.

ssfw

#18 Post by ssfw »

Hi Jess,

It's great to see changes so soon after you had the braces placed. I too have a 5 mm overjet in addition to a crossbite on my left side. Currently I have an upper expander to correct the crossbite and will be getting my braces in about 3 months. My teeth are pretty well aligned but the minor things will be corrected in addition to reducing my overjet after my braces are placed.

How much of the overjet will be reduced? I hope your ortho treatment continues to go well. By the way, does your ortho usually only have 3 lig colors available?

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

Jesslzz 01

#19 Post by Jesslzz 01 »

Hi everyone!

Sorry I didn't answer your posts before, I was away on holidays and later I had a lot of work to do. Now I'm updating my journal, but first I want to answer your question, ssfw.

Actually my ortho never told me how much of my overjet would be reduced. He told me though that I have a slight displacement of my upper jaw, that's why some little overjet might remain. I don't care if it can't be corrected completely, just by reducing it at least on an 80%, I surely would be really happy!

My ortho keeps forgetting that I'm an adult and never asks me if I prefer any color. That day he only had those 3, but on day 1 he told me that he can get me any color I want. However, I must remember to ask for it or otherwise he puts on me the first color he has at hand!

Thanks a lot KK and Dark Angel for your thoughts!!

Full metalmouth!

Jesslzz 01

#20 Post by Jesslzz 01 »

I'm a full metalmouth!!

February 17, 2006

On February 14, my lowers went on. Wow! I felt like there was way too much metal on my mouth!!! And I still feel it!

That night my lowers started to hurt a little. The next day, the pain was unbearable. I never thought that the lowers would hurt that much! My molars didn't match again, so eating was out of the question. I'm still eating soft foods, it hurts so much!

I didn't know that my lower teeth were so messed up. That is why I didn't take any picture of my lowers before treatment. I will post a new pic of my lowers tomorrow, because this pic doesn't show the real problem on them.

I'm a full metalmouth!

The lower archwire describes a funny curve: my front lowers incisors must get down (into the gum) and my canines must "grow up" a little. Auch. I didn't know that it could be possible to lower the teeth back into the gum. Amazing, but painful!!!!

I'm hating these lowers, it is the first time I want to rip my braces off. However I feel happy for the progress my uppers are showing:

Before treatment

February 17, one month+ on braces

I'm happy with my progress even though now my teeth look uneven as they are straightening up. My overjet was the cause they got worn out that awful way. I hope my ortho can correct this in the future! :roll:

Full metalmouth!

HollyDontSpend

wow

#21 Post by HollyDontSpend »

Jesslezz, your teeth are looking great! My sister had a problem similar to yours when she first got her braces on and she was more self conscious of her smile with the braces than before. But a year has passed and she looks like a different person. Her treatment plan is similar to yours. I can really see the difference from when you first got them on to now. I hope that the lowers get better for you soon. :D
Damon 2's for 18 months, removed 11/03/05

Jesslzz 01

#22 Post by Jesslzz 01 »

Thanks Holly don't spend! (I love your nickname!!)

Well, my lowers got better really soon and I have been very busy to come here and update my journal. I have been moving to my new apartment so I had a lot of things to do...and I don't have internet connection there yet so visiting the archwired forum has been something a little hard to do...but I'm back!

March 16, 2006. I want a new archwire!!! GRRR!!!

I went to the ortho on Thursday and I was really hoping for an archwire change. I'm not feeling anything, absolutely no pain, and not even pressure!! I think my teeth got used to this archwire and they moved all the way they wanted to move on this one. I really felt like it was time for a new archwire, but...nothing. He just changed my ligs!!!!

He told me that I need some more time on this archwire, and that he is waiting for my teeth to be straighter, then he'll change the wire for a thick one. You know how it is like, you can't argue with a doctor! I wished to tell him: "hey, they won't move UNLESS you change the wire!!".

Anyway, I walked out of the office thinking "he is the one who knows what he is doing...relax!"...but I still feel a little dissapointed...and kind of sad. I really don't see any changes from my last "adjustment", and the lack of pain or pressure makes me feel like nothing is going on... :cry:

The only thing that keeps me going on is that I love my new ligs! I got silver ones on top and tooth colored on bottom (the ortho ran out of silver ones, but I like the combo!). My "blue fase" has ended! I was wanting something clear, now the brackets seem clean and shiny. Great change!!!
I'm wondering if the tooth colored do stain badly...oh well, I'll enjoy them while they are white :lol:

So here are the pics...no noticeable progress I'm afraid, even though my ortho told me that my gaps are closing a little and my top arch has straightened...mmm....I really don't see any difference. Darn!

Here is the pic of my lowers from last month that I forgot to post:

My new one similar to this didn't make it to the site. I'll post it later.

On february the 2nd

On March the 17th I can't see many changes!!!!GRRR

Before treatment

On March the 17 This is the only pic where I can see a difference...my front two teeth don't look overlapped... :)

Same day There is still a long way to go...I don't really see that my gaps are closing, not a tiny bit...

I guess I'll have to trust my ortho and have faith...at least I can eat sandwiches again!!! :D

Until next photo shoot session!!! :P

Full metalmouth!

Leslie022

#23 Post by Leslie022 »

Sorry you didn't get a new archwire! I got new wires at my adjustment last tuesday after having the small, thin one for 2 months. Hopefully you'll get a new one at your next adjustment. You'll feel the pressure and pain when you do!! It's great! :)
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

ssfw

#24 Post by ssfw »

Hi Jesslzz,

I see alot of change since you first got your braces - that's great!

I understand your frustration of not getting a new wire. I currently only have an expander and although I have felt no pain and no pressure, my teeth are moving (to correct my crossbite). My orthodontist told me that they don't expedite movement because it can cause damage to the teeth and gums which is why they use a gentle approach. With your teeth, there is probably more change than you think but when most people going through ortho treatment probably look at their teeth very often, sometimes it is difficult to see change - posting the pics helps because the people reading this site will see the changes easier than you.

Keep us posted.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

Jesslzz 01

#25 Post by Jesslzz 01 »

Wow KK, 7 1/2 months with the same archwire! And I'm complaining! You are right, every person and teeth are different so we don't have any other choice but to trust our orthos. Maybe I'm an anxious person, but if I were you, I would be crying for a new archwire! :lol: No, really, I believe you are so patient and kind! And your words always make me feel better. I really hope you can get a new archwire on your next appointment! It is amazing that you don't feel any pain at all. I think a little pain makes you remember that things are moving, but is right, the "no pain no gain" works at the gym but not on orthodontics! :wink:

I'm hoping that next month I will get my new archwire too, Leslie022! Thanks for your post!

Do you really see progress on my pics sswf? You are right, I think I'm getting used to the feeling of having braces and I can't notice small or constant movement. The other day a colleague of mine told me that she could really see changes on my face already. I was stunned, but some other people noticed it too. So I'm feeling better! Thanks for your post, I think you are absolutely right.

Patience, patience...we will get there!!

Full metalmouth!

M1k3y

#26 Post by M1k3y »

So how is your progress now?
Braced 5-27-06 - 18 months with braces
Case 1 - minor crookedness
Envision Composite Brackets
M1k3y's introduction with photos
M1k3y's journey with photos

Debranded 3-20-08

Joanna20

#27 Post by Joanna20 »

I am wondering too! Have your gaps closed?
Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

Jesslzz

#28 Post by Jesslzz »

Updating...finally!!

I can't believe how much time has passed! Already 4 months since the last time I updated my journal...wow!

I have been very, very busy moving and starting with a new life in the city. For the first two months I didn't have internet connection at my place, so it was really difficult for me to update my journal. Later I got busy with work and my art course. I'm here, finally!

I will post a short comment about every adjustment and progress pic. There has been a lot of progress, even though I sometimes felt that it was some kind of back and forth movement, especially because my gaps are still here...But I'm slowly getting to the point they will start to close :)

I never stopped taking photos of my teeth but you will notice some of the pics have a yellow tint. My teeth aren't that yellow :P , is just that I tried to take pics with my new digital camera on my bathroom, and the lighting conditions there aren't very good. Unfortunately I noticed it too late :shock: I decided to continue to take pics with my cell phone as before...(less editing :wink:)

Jesslzz

#29 Post by Jesslzz »

April 2006

I don't remember this adjustment very well because it was quite fast, my ortho only replaced my ligs, I asked him about my front teeth, and I was out there 15 minutes later. I was concerned about my left front tooth being so uneven that it was already starting to bother me, as you can see in this picture.

Sorry...tinted pic. See that tooth? uughhh

I was getting annoyed by that tooth, so he showed me how my two front teeth got that weird shape because of the way they were positioned. He told me not to worry, that he would deal with it soon. I was wondering if he would file that tooth or do something with the bracket at the end of the treatment.

After a while I also started to get worried about my lowers, my two lower front teeth were separating badly from each other...I remember thinking that I should ask about it next consultation...On May

At least my upper arch was improving... :D

Jesslzz

#30 Post by Jesslzz »

May 2006
The wonders of bracket repositioning

Next adjustment came with a surprise: bracket repositioning. The bracket on my front tooth was placed lower that the rest, and I went back to the first archwire. I wish I would take several pics of my teeth that night, because changes started to happen right away! Next morning my tooth had completely moved, and two days later was up, up, up.

Can you see the bracket? It is still a little lower than the rest.

I asked about my lowers and my ortho told me that it was normal, he merely replaced my ligs there. I tried to do my best and not to worry, but it was hard, because I started to get obsessed about that diastema. Anyway, it was great to see my two front teeth get in almost the same line...and so fast! Great feeling, I was so amazed looking how the system was working.