How to talk & eat with expander?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ghotieyes

#16 Post by ghotieyes »

Ok, just as a follow-up to my own topic, my speech has been getting better. It's been 9 days since I got my expander put it and I've noticed that my enunciation has improved and it's feeling a little more natural. My mouth has also toughened up to *most* of all the equipment on my teeth so it's not quite as painful to talk, especially later in the day. I still don't sound normal yet though, if that's possible...

Plus my teeth aren't nearly as tender as they were on the first 3 days, so I've learned to deal with all the food that gets stuck in my equipment. After I eat, I can feel some food still stuck in the expander so I'll suck really hard to get it out, and a few times it shot right out and into the back of my throat to give me a little surprise. I got stuck trying to bite into a strawberry yesterday, and it looked like my teeth were bleeding afterwards because of all the bits stuck in my braces, so I think I'll just cut everything up for now.