Slime, slime, slime. What the heck???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kat

Slime, slime, slime. What the heck???

#1 Post by Kat »

Anyone have this happen as well?
I keep a real clean mouth BUT when I use my Listerine mouthwash and my Crest whitening tooth paste I get this really stretchy icky slime like clear stuff all in my mouth after about 10-15 minutes.
Is it just the crest products?
Anyone?

babykitten75

#2 Post by babykitten75 »

HIKat

I think I have noticed the same slimy white stuff that you're talking about. I noticed it after using Listerine. It's as if the stuff is the skin inside my mouth shedding off because I could take a kleenex and wipe if off the inside my cheeks and lips. I stopped using Listerine and it doesn't happen half as much
3 teeth extracted: Thursday, July 20, 2006
2 teeth extracted: Thursday, July 27, 2006
5 spacers put in: Tuesday, August 8, 2006
Spacers out, full braces in: Tuesday, August 15, 2006
Brace Treatment Time: 22 - 26 months.
(It has now been 26 months. I hope they will be OFF soon!)

trublu22

#3 Post by trublu22 »

Hi Everyone! I'm new to the board, I've been braced for almost a month (it'll be 1mo on 10/11).

I have the same problem and it is driving me nuts. I've tried rinsing, then brushing and brushing then rinsing but nothing changes. I happens most when I use Crest Pro Health rinse. I've tried using Listerine once since I've been braced and haven't had this issue, maybe I should switch up.

Ugh, this make the whole brushing routine even longer because I have to check every morning before I leave for work.

Why does this even happen? Anyone else experience it?

rmwolf83

#4 Post by rmwolf83 »

I can't use my Crest ProHealth mouthwash anymore. It leaves this funky blue residue all over my braces and it's a pain to get off. It's like stringy and gunky at the same time. I haven't found anything to replace it yet...I've just been using my fluoride rinse for the time being.

~Rachel~

Debanding: 12/18/07!!! Yay!!!!!

Front Teeth Bracketed 7/25/2006
Back Teeth Banded 7/18/2006
Inspire Ice Uppers/front 8 w/ metal lowers
Treatment time: 19 - 26 mos.

trublu22

#5 Post by trublu22 »

I can't use my Crest ProHealth mouthwash anymore. It leaves this funky blue residue all over my braces and it's a pain to get off. It's like stringy and gunky at the same time. I haven't found anything to replace it yet...I've just been using my fluoride rinse for the time being.

~Rachel~
that's another reason to stop using the Crest Pro Health. If I rinse before brushing, no problem because I can brush that blue off my brackets. But, lately, I've rinsed after brushing, so then I've gotta brush all over again. Its is truly a pain.

Lisa65

#6 Post by Lisa65 »

Does either that Crest Pro rinse or the whitening toothpaste you describe - contain hydrogen peroxide?

If so, then it's that. When HP comes into contact with mouth tissue it reacts and produces oxygen bubbles, The resulting foamy stuff has a slimy feel to it. I'm not familiar with the chemistry so I can't tell you why it feels slimy.

I sometimes use dilute HP as a mouthwash (it helps to remove staining from teeth due to its mild bleaching properties) and I get the slime effect too. So I use that first, rinse with water and then brush my teeth and use a regular mouthwash.

Listerine can be a little harsh for some people as it contains a lot of alcohol. It's great for germ killing but can "burn" your mouth. I can't use mouthwashes containing alcohol and instead opted for an alcohol free variety.

trublu22

#7 Post by trublu22 »

Does either that Crest Pro rinse or the whitening toothpaste you describe - contain hydrogen peroxide?

If so, then it's that. When HP comes into contact with mouth tissue it reacts and produces oxygen bubbles, The resulting foamy stuff has a slimy feel to it. I'm not familiar with the chemistry so I can't tell you why it feels slimy.

^^ that's something i never knew. i'll check to see if hydrogen peroxide is in the Crest Pro rinse.

schoolglue

#8 Post by schoolglue »

I've never noticed any slime in my mouth after using Listerine. I try to add a little water to it so it doesn't burn as badly. Maybe Colgate + Listerine get along better than the Crest + Listerine?

xtrememkovr

#9 Post by xtrememkovr »

I had that stringy blue stuff, too, after using crest products. Hmmmm. I thought I was the only one but there was another post in regards to that somewhere around here...

Anyways - I use Listerine - and I have had no cases of that blue stringy stuff. I switch up toothpastes - so maybe I'll have an experiment and see what products are causing it. So far so good with the Listerine.
X.

KriegeR

#10 Post by KriegeR »

I always used to get the same problem when I was using Listerine. I'd use the Listerine before setting off for work and there would be no problem. However just 30 minutes later I would have loads of this stuff shedding off my mouth. It hasn't happened since I changed to Oral B Fluoride rinse, so I assume that it's something in the Listerine, or Listerine is a bit too powerful.

RabbleRouser

#11 Post by RabbleRouser »

Was it the "whitening expressions " crest? I had the same problem with this brand of tooth paste when used with the pro-health rinse . DDS said it was epitheleal tissue sloughing off. When I switched to Biotene mouthwash and a less caustic toothpaste, the problem diappeared.

rsprouse

#12 Post by rsprouse »

^^ that's something i never knew. i'll check to see if hydrogen peroxide is in the Crest Pro rinse.
Crest Pro Health rinse does not contain any peroxide. The active ingredient is CPC. It basically attacks plaque and causes the cell membrane to breakdown and the plaque cells burst. The "clumps" that people are seeing on their teeth are accumulations of plaque getting caught on brackets. It is broken down so the plaque can no longer attack your teeth. So the "chunks" and "stringyness" may look bad but it is the rinse doing a good job at removing plaque that was left after brushing and/or flossing. As always, YMMV.

Regards,
Rory

Lisa65

#13 Post by Lisa65 »

We don't have Crest Pro rinse in te UK as far as I'm aware, but I use a generic mouthwash containing CPC and don't get the blue stuff.

I guess, going back to the original question, we are talking about a few different types of "slime" here.

1) hydrogen peroxide bubble slime
2) plaque slime caused by clumping of CPC containing mouthwash
3) epithilial slime caused by over-strong alcohol-based mouthwashes.

The cure depends on the cause I guess! :lol:

rmwolf83

#14 Post by rmwolf83 »

Crest Pro Health rinse does not contain any peroxide. The active ingredient is CPC. It basically attacks plaque and causes the cell membrane to breakdown and the plaque cells burst. The "clumps" that people are seeing on their teeth are accumulations of plaque getting caught on brackets. It is broken down so the plaque can no longer attack your teeth. So the "chunks" and "stringyness" may look bad but it is the rinse doing a good job at removing plaque that was left after brushing and/or flossing. As always, YMMV.

Regards,
Rory
That's really cool....I think I'll just put up with the stringiness! So, should I brush, floss, rinse with the Pro Health, then brush again? Any thoughts from anyone? Also, is it possible to overdo it with the fluoride rinses and toothpastes? My dentist gave me Prevident to use, but my teeth just don't feel clean after I use it. So I prefer to use my toothpaste of choice and then, since I need some sort of fluoride due to my decalcification, I use the Phos Flor rinse that my previous dentist recommended. Is one better than the other? It looks like the Phos Flor rinse has more fluoride in it than the Prevident. That doesn't make sense to me..... the rinse is OTC and the paste is an Rx. Any way, I usually use the rinse at night and the paste in the morning. Is that bad?

~Rachel~

Debanding: 12/18/07!!! Yay!!!!!

Front Teeth Bracketed 7/25/2006
Back Teeth Banded 7/18/2006
Inspire Ice Uppers/front 8 w/ metal lowers
Treatment time: 19 - 26 mos.

rsprouse

#15 Post by rsprouse »

That's really cool....I think I'll just put up with the stringiness! So, should I brush, floss, rinse with the Pro Health, then brush again? Any thoughts from anyone? Also, is it possible to overdo it with the fluoride rinses and toothpastes? My dentist gave me Prevident to use, but my teeth just don't feel clean after I use it. So I prefer to use my toothpaste of choice and then, since I need some sort of fluoride due to my decalcification, I use the Phos Flor rinse that my previous dentist recommended. Is one better than the other? It looks like the Phos Flor rinse has more fluoride in it than the Prevident. That doesn't make sense to me..... the rinse is OTC and the paste is an Rx. Any way, I usually use the rinse at night and the paste in the morning. Is that bad?

~Rachel~
Hi Rachel,

Once your teeth are developed you cannot overdue the fluoride intake as far as your teeth are concerned. There are other concerns for your GI tract so you should keep it in moderation. Prevident is 5000 ppm fluoride ion in a gel form, where as Phos Flur is sodium fluoride (4.4% I think?). It is just a different delivery system to get the fluoride to your teeth. Prevident probably doesn't make you feel clean as it doesn't really do much in the minty fresh taste department. It is doing a good job, it just doesn't feel like it. I personally Oral Health rinse in the AM before heading out the door and I Act right before bed. I also brush 4-5 times per day on average. Just my regime, YMMV. I would stick to the regime recommended by the Doc treating you.

Good Luck,
Rory