Molds or no Molds

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

iBorg

Molds or no Molds

#1 Post by iBorg »

Curious question. Did your ortho take molds of your mouth prior to treatment? Mine took pictures, left, right, inside, outside, up and down. Three sets of X-rays. No molds. Is this common or not?

Might this be an added experience before my lowers are mounted?

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

niknikc

#2 Post by niknikc »

Hmm... I've read where some have got them at the same time as pics, but them some have got them the day of being braced. I had my molds done when they did my pics and xrays. I wonder if it just depends on ortho?
"Blessed are the peacekeepers for they shall be called the children of God." Matthew 5:9

Top Braces: 9-26-06
Bottom Braces: 11-29-06

juf_84

#3 Post by juf_84 »

I got everything done on different days- I had to be x-rayed before having the consult, I had my pics taken at the consult, and the molds taken the day I got braces.

I guess every ortho's different!
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

iBorg

#4 Post by iBorg »

I got my uppers without molds. Wonder if this was a slip up? During the consult, I said let's do it. Maybe they sensed my fear and decided let's just put the spacers in and be done with it, maybe it was too close to luch or maybe the X-rays told the story. I'm curious as to what purpose the molds serve.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Lisa65

#5 Post by Lisa65 »

I had impressions, but maybe that was because my ortho knew I would have to have a Nance TPA, which has to be made to fit.

lionfish

#6 Post by lionfish »

I had two sets of moulds done: one at my initial consult, then another because I was getting linguals (don't ask me why they were done twice).

cmm1280

#7 Post by cmm1280 »

At my first consult, I had Xrays and pics taken. My ortho took molds the day my spacers went in. They explained to me that the molds are for scientific research for "before and after" comparisons.

**Braced 22 months and 3 weeks. Estimated 24 months treatment time.

bip

#8 Post by bip »

Mine did everything the same day - xrays, pics and molds. I liked it - made me feel like i was on the fast-track or something!

Ronsie

#9 Post by Ronsie »

I had molds prior to spacers and braces. When the ortho put the braces on, I noticed she had marked measurements on my model to find the center line of each tooth (my teeth are very crooked) and she used this to properly place the braces. I've just had a second adjustment today (after 1.5 months) and she pulled out my model to measure progress. I made her promise to give it to me the model when I'm done!

gunter8888

#10 Post by gunter8888 »

I had molds done twice. My first consult I had the x-ray that rotates around your head and he looked around a bit. Then I went back a week later for a "records appointment" and they took pics from every angle imaginable, along with upper and lower molds.

Then it took me 6 months to get my act together and begin treatment. My treatment started with an upper removable expander so they re-took the molds to have it made.

While I am no fan of having the molding stuff in my mouth I would sure love to play with some of that stuff. I'd stick it to everything! It would be great for practical jokes. Yeah, I'm a big kid.
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

Delag

#11 Post by Delag »

My OD loves molds. I had my first set when the did my records, the second set before they made my bite splint, and the third a couple of weeks into my splint treatment. I wouldnt' be surprised to see some stuff before I get my hardware installed on Monday. I believe he does so many because he always checks the TMJ. I forgot to say that everytime I get the molds I also have to hop in the articulator (I think that is what it is called) when you have to hold two points in your ears and another rests on your forehead and bite down on some waxy stuff. This is used to make a mount for the molds and it simulates the exact way you bite. (If I blew that explanation I am sorry)

Jillianleab

#12 Post by Jillianleab »

I never had molds done. I got pics from all different angles and x-rays, that was it.
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

Gennel

#13 Post by Gennel »

I did not get molds either but they took TONS of panoramic x-rays.
I've been braced for 4 months and they just did the mold impression for my bottom teeth only because I need an expander and the lab needs an exact mold of my teeth to measure how wide & long to make the expander.

I asked why no impressions are done before braces or the day of getting braces and the ortho assistant said that molds are good for before and after visual. That Xrays gave the ortho a much better idea of what treatment to give...

Gennel

Tin Indian

#14 Post by Tin Indian »

I had molds done, then xrays and pictures took, financials taken care of and braced all in the same day, all in 2 1/4 hours.
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08

rsprouse

#15 Post by rsprouse »

What information is gathered depends on the difficulty of your case and the ortho's experience and technique. The standard operating procedure taught in school is to take a Pano, Ceph, and FMX, upper and lower impressions, intraoral and extraoral pictures (posterior, bicuspid area, anteriors, bite, arch, profile, straight on, etc) and potentially a bite or CR registration. Some people take more info and some less. It is used to properly diagnose and plan your treatment among other things.

Regards,
Rory