I can't floss!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ghostmyimag3

I can't floss!

#1 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

Some of my teeth are so tight i can't even get the threader through them. I also have some that are so sore, i can't stand the floss there yet. I take my waterpik and spray there, how long did it take you to floss? I just got braces Wednesday.
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

Danielle

#2 Post by Danielle »

That's how I was for the first couple of weeks. Tooth by tooth it will get much, much easier. Now (three months later) I have no problems flossing, there is more than enough space and it doesn't hurt anymore. The first couple of weeks are the roughest... keep trying to get the floss in there (I think the best is the Crest Glide Threader Floss) and soon you will notice a difference.

tracy729

#3 Post by tracy729 »

It took a couple of days to be able to get the floss in between the teeth that were braced.

Good luck

MrsF

#4 Post by MrsF »

I found it really made a difference on what kind of floss I was using. I could barely stand getting the regular waxed floss in. But when I used Oral-B Satin Floss, it was a world of difference!

Jillianleab

#5 Post by Jillianleab »

It took me a few days to be able to floss normally, and in the first few weeks after getting braced sometimes it would hurt too much between some teeth, so I'd skip them. It will get better, hang in there! :)
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

onny

#6 Post by onny »

Like KK mentioned, don't be concerned if you cant floss the first days, i stopped it as well for 3 days. And now I use SuperFloss, which are great! Its much easier than i heard from other braces wearer, takes only slighly more time and is as efficient as before. Some of my teeth are as close as yours btw, so its impossible to floss between some, or very very hard. Those teeth with the biggest space between I daily use a interdental brush too. (I floss just every 2nd day, should I increase that to daily? not really eh.. ? Ortho suggested 2-3 times a week.)
Sep03/2007 6th adjustment.
Nov08/2006 was B-day!
36 month top and bottom metal. All 8 molars banded now. Bioprogressive technic and HG some day.
My Braces Journey Blog.

Lisa65

#7 Post by Lisa65 »

I use the Crest Glide floss which will go into even the smallest gaps. But my teeth were too tender after bracing to floss at all for a couple of days. I just left it until they felt more comfortable.

maf

#8 Post by maf »

It took me quite a few weeks to get used to flossing with braces - it was extremely awkward to start with.

Now I can easily floss without the threading tool; the only difficulty being the days when there's movement of the teeth and some areas are too sore.

I usually use Oral-B mint-waxed floss. I never was able to use dental tape or wider floss before these second set of braces, but since my teeth have spread out there's more space between.

Don't give up; it gets easier to floss over time and with practice :)

joney

#9 Post by joney »

I was braced on Friday and can only floss between a few teeth, the floss would literally tear if I tried to place it between some of my teeth. However my teeth are so crowded that I have always had this problem and I look forward to the day that I will be able to floss easilly between my teeth. In the meantime I just do the best I can with the little brushes, what more can you do really?

Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

ghostmyimag3

#10 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

Yeah they tore several strands trying to floss between my molar brackets and yet still its impossible. I have 3 areas in my mouth that are measuring a 5 on that perio test. That is why i'm very concerned. I tried the satin tape on a few teeth with success, its mainly my front bottom teeth and my two front teeth that are not accessible at this time at all. The others are just way to sore still. Its really scary to think of what is trapped in between your teeth. I have many fillings, and i dont want more :)

Delag

#11 Post by Delag »

Some of my teeth are so tight i can't even get the threader through them¨¨(quote)

Just to make sure....you use the threader to get the floss under the wire, then you grab the ends of the floss and use like normal. At first I thought I had to put the whole threader through my teeth and couldn't figure it out how it would ever fit :oops:

ghostmyimag3

#12 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

Thats what i've started doing that way if the tooth is way too sore i dont have to pull it out at the gum.

cowlypso

#13 Post by cowlypso »

Just to make sure....you use the threader to get the floss under the wire, then you grab the ends of the floss and use like normal. At first I thought I had to put the whole threader through my teeth and couldn't figure it out how it would ever fit :oops:
Haha... I've been sitting here reading about the oral care and threaders and such, wondering what on earth they look like, and how the heck they're supposed to go between my teeth. I have enough trouble getting normal skinny floss between my teeth with my tight contacts. I just couldn't imagine how this thing called a threader worked, other than it must be like a needle and thread that you had to jam all the way through between your teeth! I'm really glad that got cleared up before I got my braces and made a fool of myself (although hopefully the ortho would have at least explained some of this stuff...).

Delag

#14 Post by Delag »

:lol: Ha Ha Ha - Guess I have been doing it wrong after all :lol: I have to say pulling it though looks more pain inducing than my way.

Joel-

#15 Post by Joel- »

I just flossed for the first time in several days ... I don't even have a full set of brackets, only 8 on my upper teeth, but it is still such a chore to floss.

I guess I'll try to floss every 2nd day but it's too much work to do every day :)