Pain in getting braces removed?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mtbrncofn

#16 Post by mtbrncofn »

I guess I'm in the minority here. I had SS and they hurt like hell to get taken off. I was sure my teeth were going to come with them.

Also didn't help that I had a hack taking them off, IMO. She was brutal. She was really careless. She had one half of the top off and was having a hard time getting the other side off, so they were left hanging. Every time she wrenched more to get the other side off, the wire from the off side would poke further and further into my gums.

It got so bad, tears were coming out of my eyes. I finally had to grab here arm and stop her.

My gums were ripped up for over 6 weeks. I had my teeth cleaned about 6 weeks after and my hygienist asked me why I had sores on my gums. It sucked.

When I get this second round off, if it's the same lady doing it, I hope I can find a way to respectfully ask for someone else.
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

EyeHartEwe

#17 Post by EyeHartEwe »

I was most terrified to get the back bands off because it appeared to me that the gums had grown OVER the metal a bit, but they came off so easily that I was surprised how little I felt it! I didn't even know it was them she was working on until I felt her slide it up! :)

As for the rest, they didn't hurt at all, just a slight popping senstation. The only tooth that I can say was sore was my canine but I did have two surgeries on it and that one has been sore no matter what they've done to it. I would cringe in pain even if the poor girl put an elastic on it. :(
The "worst" part was them getting the glue off and that was only when I had one assistant who was way too rough and I was sure she was trying to see how much force it took to push the teeth out of my head. :roll:

But it really wasn't bad at all, I was dreading the worst the entire time! :)

bunnyfluff

#18 Post by bunnyfluff »

I still have my braces, but i've had brackets put on three times/taken off twice (once for my Senior pictures two years ago and once because the ortho decided...he wanted to?). I have to say, it's NOT pleasant getting them off, but I didn't find it painful...just uncomfy.

I think the best part is the fact that once they're off for good, you don't have to get that nasty glue anymore! Getting brackets on THREE times was probably the worst part in my braced journey. The glue is just so gross tasting :shock:

colleen

#19 Post by colleen »

I have to agree that getting the ceramic brackets off was pretty horrific. I had to bite down on a wax plate to keep them from ripping my teeth off in the process! The other part that I hated was that they kept spraying really cold water on my VERY cold sensitive front teeth. I would have used Sensodyne for awhile if I'd have known in advance! The metal brackets were a cinch.

fins

#20 Post by fins »

Oh Colleen - I had to bite down on the wax thing as well, I truly thought my tooth was coming out, it took a long time to get one bracket off. I guess they used a TON of heavy duty cement, I hever lost a bracket or band the entire time I was braced. Nothing ever got loose either..but those ceramics on the front were horrific to remove.

jennielee81

#21 Post by jennielee81 »

Mine didn't hurt at all. Not the Damon's coming off or the Opals.

When they got to the ceramics (Opals), the tool slid between the tooth and bracket and broke the bond without any pain or pressure.

The sound was a little disturbing! :shock:

I didn't even mind the grinding off of the cement as this was the END!!!

I was also previously very afraid of the pain/discomfort of debonding. My ortho's assistant did an amazing job! :D
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

MATEO'S

#22 Post by MATEO'S »

Im getting mine off in a month :D , but after reading this im scared :shock: but mostly excited, i have`clarity and none of mine came off in the 14months i had them on and i ate everything popcorn nuts etc so i hope they come off easliy then.

colleen

#23 Post by colleen »

Totally worth it!

LynnHowell

#24 Post by LynnHowell »

It didn't hurt when mine were removed. I used Sensodyne toothpaste a few days leading up to the removal. I'm not sure if that helped any, but it may have.

I think by the time you're ready for debanding, you've been through so much that it's like a walk in the park. PLUS--you're almost free!
Upper Ceramic: 8/13/04
Lower Metal: 01/13/05
Removed: 4/19/07 (finally!)

Retainers:
Upper Clear Hawley
Lower fixed & Essix
Lower fixed removed 7/06/07 (due to a small space). Lower Fuschia Hawley 7/18/07
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
www.lynnhowell.com

Betty Bat

#25 Post by Betty Bat »

I had a little bit of trouble when my uppers came off on April 19. I had no problem with the metal (back) brackets - the assistant took those off. The ortho took off my sapphire (clear) brackets. I did bite on a wax block, as some of the other posters have mentioned. The bracket on my left front tooth just didn't want to come off - he was pushing fairly hard and eventually, I started making some whiny noises. It was more an issue of pressure than pain. So, he said that he could grind the last bracket off while he was doing the polishing. Which he did, with no other problems. And, I went to my regular dentist for a cleaning a week later, the assistant there commented on what a nice job the ortho did in cleaning everything up.

After my uppers came off, I didn't wear anything up top for 3 glorious days. Then I got my retainer. I did notice that my front tooth was a little sensitive for about 4 or 5 days after the brackets came off. But, I've had a similar sensitivity more than once - my Damon doors stuck and sometimes it took both the assistant and the ortho pushing on my mouth to get them all closed!

It's not a bad pain - it just feels like someone is pushing on your face.

Serenity

#26 Post by Serenity »

I felt pressure that's all. When they removed the bands around the molars there was this awful smell (I know gross) I have good oral hygiene but I guess some bacteria still was around those areas with the bands.

When they scraped the cement/glue whatever off I was told that if my teeth felt extremely cold at any time to raise my hand. It didn't bother me I just thought of pleasant things and not what was going on at the time.

bracedintx

#27 Post by bracedintx »

I just had 6 brackets repositioned the other week. I have metal brackets. The ones on the molars were fine but when the assistant tried to remove the ones off the top #2s it was incredibly painful and they weren't coming off. I burst into tears and she had to wait...so after we laughed about it she had to go back and finish. She said it was so painful because the teeth are still moving. When they deband a) the teeth are a bit more settled, b) they leave the wire on so there is more support. Like others have said, I told her that I didn't want to get them off if they were all going to hurt like that! :paperbag:
self-ligating metal brackets all around

momof2grlz

#28 Post by momof2grlz »

I had a combination of 3M Clarity ceramics and metal that were removed today. YEA!! None of mine hurt at all being removed and none of the ceramic brackets broke. YIPPEE. Grinding off the adhesive was a little unnerving, but it didn't hurt. All in all the removal process was much easier than I anticipated.

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

mtbrncofn

#29 Post by mtbrncofn »

Congrats!! How exciting for you!
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

catbutt

#30 Post by catbutt »

I just got my braces off today!!

None of the metal or ceramic brakets hurt coming off. None of the ceramic brakets broke either. A couple of the molar bands really didn't want to come off. It did hurt some when the assistant was trying to get them off. A few really stubborn ones the orthodontist was able to get off easy without pain. But there was one they were about to get the molar band splitters out, and the ortho finally got it off. That didn't hurt so much as there was alot of pressure. It seemed like the assistant was twisting/pulling at the wrong angles which made it hurt.

But that's all over and everything feels fine now!!