Bad news..im getting them off..UPDATED PICS

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kerry

#16 Post by Kerry »

Shouldnt he have extracted teeth prior if he knew there wouldnt be room
Imagewisdom teeth removed under GA nov07 * Braced 8/2/08 * 2 premolars removed Apr08 * Adjustment 4 rebonding, 4 molar bands & new wire 4/7/08 * 31Jul wire change * 28 Aug last wire fitted and lower powerchain put on. 29th May moulds and x rays. 31st July Surgery date :-)

newmetal

#17 Post by newmetal »

That's what puzzles me more...i had 4 extractions??Surely that was enough to make space.

Newmetal

Clo

#18 Post by Clo »

I looked at the second picture and I think your arch is nicely rounded from your
right central up to your right premolar. I do not see this nice archform on your
left (left central to left premolar). My humble opinion is that when that left part
would be rounded nicer, then some space would be gained to set the left incisor
more even and the lateral more in the arch. Also your left canine needs torque to
be more upright. It is slanting inwards too much. My canines were also like this.
My ortho made some torque in the archwire and almost immediately there was
improvement. After only some weeks, they were more vertical. So, a bit more
rounded left part, and a more vertical canine and everything will be more aligned.
Although I do admit your laterals have this rounded front and here your ortho
is right a bit I think that this is also the reason why they look not aligned. But he
must be able to do better. Of course when he would make changes in the upper
arch, he will need to do the same in the lower arch to again have a good occlusion.

breal87

#19 Post by breal87 »

I agree with retainerjoe maybe you should go see another orthodontist for a FREE consultation and see what his opinions are?

Test

newmetal

#20 Post by newmetal »

[quote]I looked at the second picture and I think your arch is nicely rounded from your
right central up to your right premolar. I do not see this nice archform on your
left (left central to left premolar). My humble opinion is that when that left part
more even and the lateral more in the arch. Also your left canine needs torque to
be more upright. It is slanting inwards too much. My canines were also like this.
rounded left part, and a more vertical canine and everything will be more aligned.
is right a bit I think that this is also the reason why they look not aligned. But he
arch, he will need to do the same in the lower arch to again have a good occlusion.[quote]

Thanks for that insight Clo, it was really helpful and gave me hope that there is something that could be done. I am with you in the belief that with torque and rounding they will look much better...the thing is, he kept repeating there was no room for movement and he couldn't do anything to correct my 'issues'. But, i feel that rounding etc would not need that much more room. The lateral looks as though it has enough room to be rounded to mirror right lateral and the cainine surely can be pulled further down the gumline to look vertical. At the appt the other day it felt as though i was banging my head against a brick wall...the thing is i can't turn around and say i believe there is something that can be done because it's his proffession. I felt it was cheeky of him to even broach the subject of removing the braces with my upper arch in this state, ive lost any faith in the ortho as i had thought he was good at his job prior to this bombshell. Also, regarding him removing the bottom brace? My bottom arch is straight, but in him removing the bottom brace before the top, does this mean he won't be able to do much more with the top arch?

He's put an elastic on the left canine, attached to the first molar... i don't know if this is to try and make the canine more vertical because i don't have an elastic on the right side.

Thanks everyone else for the comments...i am going to look into booking an appt with another ortho to see if hed be able to do anything else. The thing is it will cost again and after paying of the £2500 for this ortho it seems stupid to go an possibly waste more money on another one.

Many Thanks
Newmetal
Last edited by newmetal on Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

newmetal

#21 Post by newmetal »

newmetal wrote:
I looked at the second picture and I think your arch is nicely rounded from your
arch, he will need to do the same in the lower arch to again have a good occlusion.

Thanks for that insight Clo, it was really helpful and gave me hope that there is something that could be done. I am with you in the belief that with torque and rounding they will look much better...the thing is, he kept repeating there was no room for movement and he couldn't do anything to correct my 'issues'. But, i feel that rounding etc would not need that much more room. The lateral looks as though it has enough room to be rounded to mirror right lateral and the cainine surely can be pulled further down the gumline to look vertical. At the appt the other day it felt as though i was banging my head against a brick wall...the thing is i can't turn around and say i believe there is something that can be done because it's his proffession. I felt it was cheeky of him to even broach the subject of removing the braces with my upper arch in this state, ive lost any faith in the ortho as i had thought he was good at his job prior to this bombshell. Also, regarding him removing the bottom brace? My bottom arch is straight, but in him removing the bottom brace before the top, does this mean he won't be able to do much more with the top arch?

He's put an elastic on the left canine, attached to the first molar... i don't know if this is to try and make the canine more vertical because i don't have an elastic on the right side.

Thanks everyone else for the comments...i am going to look into booking an appt with another ortho to see if hed be able to do anything else. The thing is it will cost again and after paying of the £2500 for this ortho it seems stupid to go an possibly waste more money on another one.

Many Thanks
Newmetal

Miss Smiley

#22 Post by Miss Smiley »

Well if you were to need an elastic to pull something down, I don't know why he would deband the bottoms. I would think that the upper elastic would need to attach to a bottom anchoring point.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

iBorg

#23 Post by iBorg »

I believe the problem is that after pulling teeth, your teeth were allowed to wander forward instead of being restrained. You need to have your molars moved backward to create space. While there may not be room given the current opening, space could either be created by moving your front teeth forward (coil springs should do this) which would effect your overjet or pulled backwards (micro screws or headgear should do this).

Either way, I agree with you. Your result may be an improvement from where you started but the result is less than optimal. You are not ready to be debraced.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

cosmicgirl

#24 Post by cosmicgirl »

newmetal - your post made me want to cry! Coming all this way but still not achieving your goal. :cry:
However, "Don't panic Mr Mainwaring!" (as Jones would say in Dad's Army - perhaps you're too young to remember this telly prog!)
Elastics can exert quite a force very quickly, so who knows, the next week could see the improvement you want... I certainly hope so.

My right lateral was also pushed back and it straightened almost at once. However, now my cross bite is being attended to, the canine is being pushed behind. I didn't need any extractions, having had 5 taken out yonks ago in my teens for my first brace (my teeth drifted after the wisdom teeth appeared hence being braced again). But, at the back of my mind, I've been wondering if I'll be a bit short of space for everything to be aligned...

But, there must be something that can be done, in this day and age. There are a lot of good suggestions above. Be brave and ask your ortho if he could try some of these things first.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you get the smile you deserve.

breal87

#25 Post by breal87 »

yikes newmetal i did not realize you were in the UK where consults are not free!! BUMMER

but i agree with smiley, why would they be debanding the bottom first if you are using elastics? The elastics need to attach to both top and bottom! I would be speculating....

Test

newmetal

#26 Post by newmetal »

newmetal - your post made me want to cry! Coming all this way but still not achieving your goal. :cry:
However, "Don't panic Mr Mainwaring!" (as Jones would say in Dad's Army - perhaps you're too young to remember this telly prog!)
Elastics can exert quite a force very quickly, so who knows, the next week could see the improvement you want... I certainly hope so.

My right lateral was also pushed back and it straightened almost at once. However, now my cross bite is being attended to, the canine is being pushed behind. I didn't need any extractions, having had 5 taken out yonks ago in my teens for my first brace (my teeth drifted after the wisdom teeth appeared hence being braced again). But, at the back of my mind, I've been wondering if I'll be a bit short of space for everything to be aligned...

But, there must be something that can be done, in this day and age. There are a lot of good suggestions above. Be brave and ask your ortho if he could try some of these things first.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you get the smile you deserve.
Thanks for the support cosmicgirl. I'm hoping to that something improves/can be done with my arches. Although, it sounds like in planning to remove the bottom brace on my next appt, he is planning on finishing up and just humouring me in keeping the top arch on for 6 weeks longer. The thing is, im quite a passive guy so i don't like confrontation but when drawing his attention to the the lateral and canine he was quite assertive in saying there was no room to move the canine in further or rotate the lateral and i didn't feel i could push it further...he even went on to say the left lateral looking different to the right could just be down to it's tooth shape but thats bull, it's just because it has not been rotated fully or brought into the gumline like the right lateral. In your honest opinion would you stop my ortho taking off the bottom brace on my next appt?

Just want to apologise to everyone for this ranting cos from being an experienced member of the board i know it can get annoying. It's just down to the unexpected bombshell i recieved the other day, and im now worried that my teeth will never be straight. Thanks for all your comments, i am taking them all on board.

Considering the second opinion from another ortho..What if that ortho says he could do something? I'm apprehensive about doing this due to the fact i could'nt waste anymore money on my teeth in my opinion, i wouldn't even be able to raise the deposit.

Also, one of my worries is if i do ask these further questions and my ortho says there really isn't anything he can do, what do i say then and where do i go from there?

Once again,thanks to you all.

Newmetal

berries

#27 Post by berries »

newmetal, I'm so sorry you're having this trouble.

I may be skipping forward to the steps of last resort, but a while back I stumbled upon this site:

http://www.orthodontic-outrage.com/index.html

Even though its focus is on extractions, I wonder if the people involved in this organization might be able to assist you in some way, because it seems that they would have a lot of information and experience regarding avenues of redress.

I hope you can work this out with your ortho, of course, and I hope that you will get the good results you deserve!

iBorg

#28 Post by iBorg »

newmetal:
Your outrage is justified. I think your coming here to confirm your opinion is also wise. If you were to ask someone nit as attuned to the process they may not understand either your emotions or the possibilities. The question of what to do next is the issue. I think you need to put down a series of questions and ask for options. Are you on NHS? If so, can they help at all? There is absolutely no way I'd agree to have the bottoms off until a treatment plan is put in place to address your issues. For 2500 pounds, you deserve to be satisfied. This ending the procedure where you are now reeks of taking a short cut based upon you having paid your contract allowance and now are nothing more than a liability.

I wish you well. You deserve much better.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

cosmicgirl

#29 Post by cosmicgirl »

Hi Newmetal!
Just had a flash of inspiration - so rare these days... But, have you thought that in the worst case scenario, you could have a veneer put on your lateral? More expense I know... but an option.

When I plucked up courage to even SEE a dentist about straightening my teeth, my first thought was VENEERS!!! Instant results and less expensive than braces! But he advised me to go the proper route which I knew deep down was the right one. However, he was open to putting veneers on after treatment if I wanted.

So, there is a light at the end of the tunnel! But, please try to talk this through with the ortho. I know it can be uncomfortable - you don't want to criticise his work, but then again, if you approach it in a calm manner, and armed with all the suggestions here, I'm certain you'll make good progress and get it through to him, in the nicest way!
Good luck!

beth1966

#30 Post by beth1966 »

Hi - sorry you are not pleased with your results, I think your teeth look awesome!

I do have another question for you - I don't have braces yet but met with the ortho last night who i plan to use. He uses Invu brackets and I think i read on another thread that those are what you have.

I haven't been able to see many pictures of them but did see them on a model in his office.

Just wondering if you are pleased with them? Did you find them somewhat comfortable? Any info you have would be great.

Thanks! Hope you are able to resolve your situation.