SapphireJen's Story: See extraction gaps disappear (Pics)!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

JoviFan

#16 Post by JoviFan »

8shanell8 wrote:Hi Jen, I just read about your brace story! Glad to see that your gaps are closing so well! I'm now actually in the same senario as you were while you were debating on whether to take out 4 teeth.

My ortho said he could straighten my teeth if i go down the non-extraction route but my profile won't be very flat. So he left me to make the decision myself.

If i go for the non-extraction method and decide to take out the teeth later on he'll have to charge extra for the extra length of time taken (about 6mths too), but he din't mention how much more to pay.

Did yours charge you additional fees when you decided to take teeth out?

Did you take all 4 teeth out at one go? How long did you allow it to recover before putting your braces back on?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions! :oops:
Mine never mentioned anything about extra charges just cuz I was getting extractions! My initial amount was what it is, wither it takes 18 months or 2+ years, or so that's my understanding :) I think since I waited so long to decide on extractions tho, I may have delayed my own treatment... :(
Uppers Braced 1/29/07; 2 Upper bicuspid extractions 9/14/07; Lowers braced 9/25/07

SapphireJen

#17 Post by SapphireJen »

Hi 8shanell8,

My ortho didn't charge any additional fees when I decided to take my teeth out. It was only the cost of the extractions that I had to pay (done by a dentist, not my ortho)

I took all 4 teeth out at once! The ortho actually recommended 2 a time due to having your whole mouth numb, but I didn't mind and just wanted it over and done with. I had them out and then half hour afterwards when back to the ortho to put my archwire back in.

No problems with the question. Please ask away as I know how you are feeling - it is such a difficult decision. I'm sure you will make the right decision for you.

JoviFan Sorry I didn't see your post earlier, thanks for your message. Hope your extractions went well and best luck for a speedy closure of gaps! :)

Jen XXOO

SapphireJen

October Update - My gaps are nearly closed!!

#18 Post by SapphireJen »

Hi,

I have been a bit lax with my pics and measurements, but here are the results since my last update!

Measurements this month

Top Left: 1mm
Top Right: 2.5 mm <this gap is very stubborn>
Bottom Left: 1 mm
Bottom Right: 1 mm

I had an adjustment todayand got new elastics. My ortho think my debanding date will be around Mar '08. This is due to a couple of things:

- My midline is slightly off. Does anyone know how this gets corrected and how long it takes?
- A couple of my lower incisors are rotated. The wire is too thick at the moment to 'detail' them, but after gap closure, he will swap to a thinner wire to straighten them out

I know I am on the home stretch now, hopefully the next five months will fly :D

Jen XXOO

Miss Smiley

#19 Post by Miss Smiley »

Jen, your gaps closed so fast! There is hope for me too!!!!
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

JoviFan

Re: October Update - My gaps are nearly closed!!

#20 Post by JoviFan »

SapphireJen wrote:Hi,

I have been a bit lax with my pics and measurements, but here are the results since my last update!

Measurements this month

Top Left: 1mm
Top Right: 2.5 mm <this gap is very stubborn>
Bottom Left: 1 mm
Bottom Right: 1 mm

I had an adjustment todayand got new elastics. My ortho think my debanding date will be around Mar '08. This is due to a couple of things:

- My midline is slightly off. Does anyone know how this gets corrected and how long it takes?
- A couple of my lower incisors are rotated. The wire is too thick at the moment to 'detail' them, but after gap closure, he will swap to a thinner wire to straighten them out

I know I am on the home stretch now, hopefully the next five months will fly :D

Jen XXOO
ok -have to ask - how do you measure your gaps??? Best I've come up with is a piece of paper with a printed mm scale... LOL and I have hubby check them periodically.
Uppers Braced 1/29/07; 2 Upper bicuspid extractions 9/14/07; Lowers braced 9/25/07

SapphireJen

#21 Post by SapphireJen »

ok -have to ask - how do you measure your gaps??? Best I've come up with is a piece of paper with a printed mm scale... LOL and I have hubby check them periodically.
Jovifan - Well, I know this is not the most reliable method in the world, but really its just my husband and a ruler :)
I'm not too fussed about accuracy - as long as I know my teeth are moving, it doesn't matter if the measurements are slightly off...hehe

8shanell8

#22 Post by 8shanell8 »

OMG, look at those gaps close! That's so quick! Nice! I hope mine closes that quickly as well!

nerdgirl

#23 Post by nerdgirl »

That's so cool to be able to track your progress like that! BYW, you're teeth look amazing! :thumbsup: How'd you keep them sooo white? Hope I see such great results!! :HugeGrin:

Cleobabe

#24 Post by Cleobabe »

Your teeth look so good Jen! Those gaps are slowly but surely closing. Congratulations :D

SapphireJen

#25 Post by SapphireJen »

Hi all,

Well sorry it has been a year since I posted last.

I am happy to say my journey has come to an end.

The last year was really hard as the tooth movement slowed right down, and the ortho spent about six months, just finishing my teeth.

But now being brace free, I can say that it was all well worth it.

Here are some pics of the results....

Before Pics:

After Pics:

Thanks for all your support in this journey. If anyone else is going through times of angst and frustration, I've been there!! Hang in there and you will be so glad that you did.

J XXOO

flesh-was-sweet

#26 Post by flesh-was-sweet »

WOW SapphireJen - what fantastic teeth!!

You must be SO happy!!

jxds

#27 Post by jxds »

WOW, awesome teeth!

Flaka

#28 Post by Flaka »

Your teeth are beautiful. It gives hope the ones who are waiting (me) :)
Congrats!

newguy

#29 Post by newguy »

gorgeous teeth. much props to you.
Dec. 22, 2007 - Upper and lower premolars extracted.
Dec. 22, 2007 - Uppers braced with ceramics.
Jan. 26, 2008 - Lowers partially braced with metal. Front four will be braced with ceramics (TBD).
March 22, 2008 - Lowers fully braced. Front four with ceramics.