NervousNewbie's story

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

NervousNewbie

NervousNewbie's story

#1 Post by NervousNewbie »

Hello everyone!

I am due to be braced on 9/23/2010 so I thought I would go ahead and start up my thread. From what I understand, I will have my braces and spacers placed in the same day, and then I will go back on 9/30/2010 to have the spacers removed and the molar bands placed. I think I've purchased everything I need, and I'm ready, but anxious also, both in a good and bad way. I plan to use this thread to track my progress by posting pics of before braces, after braces, and then one picture every time I have an adjustment. I'm hoping this will help me see improvements and maybe even be encouraging to others as well!

Others who also have recently been braced, or will be braced soon, please feel free to show me your thread so I can watch your progress as well!

Braced September 23, 2010
Debraced February 20, 2014
Estimated Treatment Time: 24 months
Actual Treatment Time: 41 months

My Journey

SonyaM

#2 Post by SonyaM »

Congratulations! I love following everyone else's stories, and having a place to share/cry/vent/laugh at myself. :) Welcome!

BracketRacket

#3 Post by BracketRacket »

Sounds like we're on the same timeline -- my braces (well top, at least) go on on Monday, so just a few days ahead of you. I have spacers now, though, so the bands will be placed at the same time.

For me, it's been a long road just to get to this point, so I can't wait to get "started"! My story thread link is in my sig if you'd like to read more about that saga! :lol:

NervousNewbie

#4 Post by NervousNewbie »

This is what I've got for now... it's off of my cell phone. Once I get the brackets I will take "real" pictures! Sorry about the lighting... it's a nasty yellow light fixture in our 1960's bathroom. :-P

My Journey

mikesmile

#5 Post by mikesmile »

Hi Newbie :)

Congratulations on reaching this point in your journey! It's very exciting (and maybe a little nerve racking) at the beginning, isn't it? It's fascinating and a lot of fun chronicling your progress, I'll say that. You're right on taking lots of pictures. Plus, we all like checking them out, too. :wink:

Your BIG DAY is almost here! 8) I wish you lots of luck with the whole thing. Let me tell you...it's not bad at all...and it will be over before you know it! .....and then you'll be one of us! :P

As you've probably read about, there's a little adjusting you'll go through with the braces in the beginning. It's a shock at first to look in the mirror. I couldn't stop running my tongue and top lip over them for a while...and eating is a blast (not!). You'll get used to the new sensations and routine, though after a few weeks. Lots of Luck!

Mike.

Second Time In Braces - Estimate 12- 14 Months

jensceana73

#6 Post by jensceana73 »

Good Luck this week!!!! You'll do great. Just remember to enjoy some of those favorite foods of yours before brace day....cause it might be awhile before your teeth see them again!!! :-((
If God wanted me to have straight teeth, he would have made my parents rich..or so I was told....

Click Image to view my SAGA

NervousNewbie

#7 Post by NervousNewbie »

Everyone here has been SO encouraging... I don't have anyone to talk to "in real life" so you all have truly been a lifesaver for me. <3

My Journey

Nugget3

#8 Post by Nugget3 »

Hi, Nervous Newbie,
I know you're probably "on edge" and excited at the same time knowing you get braced tomorrow. Don't worry, you'll be just fine. I remember the day before I got braced....I ate whatever I wanted that day that I knew I wasn't going to have for a while. I think I ate the stickiest stuff I could find and then drank sodas and chewed gum. It's been the hardest for me to give up the chewing gum. Don't forget to have plenty of dental wax around and soft foods like puddings, mashed potatoes, applesause. You'll be eating regular foods soon and admiring how quickly your teeth are moving into position. Take care. Nugget3

catgyrl

#9 Post by catgyrl »

Hi NervousNewbie!

ONE MORE DAY!! Happy early B-day to you!

Your mouth looks just like mine when it's closed - you have a very nice "cupid's bow". Mine is more noticeable now with the braces, for some reason.

They will take some getting used to, but after that you will hardly know they're there. As for the not chewing gum part... I would never encourage people to go against their orthodontist's orders, but many of us have found that chewing sugarfree gum actually helps to relieve the soreness that accompanies adjustments (or any other time your teeth are sore). I liken it to a teething ring for babies. haha If you don't want to chew gum, you can try wetting a washcloth, rolling it up and biting down on that. Same principle...

Good luck tomorrow!
-Cathy

peacefrog

NervousNewbie

#10 Post by peacefrog »

Hi NervousNewbie,
You're day is almost here. I still have about two weeks to go but the closer it gets the more nervous, scared, exited-oh I am not quite sure what emotion it is exactly. Good Luck tomorrow, I'm sure you'll do great.

BraceFace2o1o

#11 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

:jump: Tomorrow is the day! :D
Good luck for tomorrow
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

SonyaM

#12 Post by SonyaM »

Good luck! Tomorrow is an exciting day for you and your smile! YAY!

NervousNewbie

#13 Post by NervousNewbie »

Thanks everyone!

Part of me is happy that I'm doing it - I am improving myself and I'm proud that I'm being brave enough to go through it...

The other part of me is incredibly nauseated and feels like I'm just going to die. That's probably the part of me that suffers from major anxiety...

My Journey

hypocrite opportunist

#14 Post by hypocrite opportunist »

Good luck! Prepare for the first week to suck, but it really does get a little better and more "normal" each day. :)
Female, Age 31

[/url]

[/url]

NervousNewbie

#15 Post by NervousNewbie »

I am going to TRY to not make the typical, "What have I done?" post, because, I come to figure, I'm GOING to feel that way and I'm already EXPECTING it so there isn't a point to POST about it when everyone is just going to say that it'll get better, hahaha...

But I make no promises! If I get desperate enough I might have a teensy little pity party. But I'll seriously try not to...

My Journey