GRILLZ braces saga

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

GRILLZ

GRILLZ braces saga

#1 Post by GRILLZ »

One week from tomorrow at 8 am i will go to be braced, so i thought this would be a good time to start my braces story. i'm starting to get pretty nervous....i'm 53 years 'young' and my dentist has been after me for the past year, at least, to get an orthodontic consult. i've had major pain in my teeth for years, and i thought it was because i grinded my teeth, so i got a nite guard....which i've worn religiously every evening. but it turns out i have an open bite, class III maloclussion and only one side of my teeth touch (the right side) so i've been favoring the left side...and now both sides hurt so much to chew!

i've had to really change my eating habits, no crispy veggies, whole wheat is difficult to eat...the list goes on and i've already had to have a number of crowns and root canals.....my dentist refused to give me anymore crowns until i'd sough an orthodontic solution.....so i reluctantly did....

but this board has given me so much encouragement and information....i'm starting to get excited about the braces, even though i am also somewhat fearful....

i was very concerned that i would need jaw surgery and i had made up my mind if that were required that i could not go through with it.....when the ortho told me that surgery was not required i was soooo happy. i was ready to sign on the dotted line immediately, i was so happy. i wish i had been more informed to ask more questions....but i know i'm getting all metal braces and that he estimates the treatment to take around 18 months. i didn't ask about spacers, bands or anything else. i guess i'll find out....soon enough.

i went to the store today and started getting soft foods, sugar free ice cream, low sugar yogurt, mashed potatoes, frozen mac & cheese. i'm diabetic and i want to be careful not to get my sugar up too high....so i've started the search for the sugar free/low sugar alternatives. to my disappointment, the low sugar danon smoothie that used to be available in a 4 pk seems to have been discontinued.....so i'm having to find alternatives....

i hope to be able to eat my whole wheat and fruits and veggies soon, as these items help keep my sugar down.....

i've placed several orders from dentakit.com....i just ordered again to make sure i have lots of silicon wax on hand....got my waterpik....my electric toothbrush is on it's way.....i should be almost set!!

i hope i'll be able to talk w/ my braces on. my job requires a fair amount of speaking.....to the public....hope that will go ok!

Kirsten2011

Re: GRILLZ braces saga

#2 Post by Kirsten2011 »

Hey there, good luck with getting your braces! I will (Hopefully) be getting mine soon - i have an appt later this month with my Orthodontist (second consultation as the first one cost WAY TOO much money!!). If its any consolation, you will be able to speak just fine with your braces. I had braces many years ago and so know all about the routine it involves ;-)
My job currently also has me dealing with the public on a daily basis and as long as one as a positive attitude, all should be ok. Besides, in this way you really get to see the stereotypes out there :-)

petal

#3 Post by petal »

I am so happy for you! Please know that you will have a lot of support on this board. Braces are certainly something to get used to....I have had mine for just over 2 months and now I don't constantly think about them like I did in the beginning! You should be proud of taking this step for yourself!! I can't wait to continue to read your story....I hope that you stay positive and make the most of the experience! Best wishes!

Kittywalker3

#4 Post by Kittywalker3 »

I do a lot of public speaking and meetings and after less than a month it does not bother me about the braces. Most people won't say anything and those that do are supportive. The only thing that bugs me is my voice mail message. I still have a lisp and lots of "s" sounds in my name and title. Small price to pay.

As you look for soft foods that are good for you let me recommend Indian - they can be made with less spice. I never did like the sweet yogurts in the dairy section but the savory yogurts like raita and paneer are wonderful. Also very easy to eat.
Kitty

GRILLZ

#5 Post by GRILLZ »

thanks for the suggestion of the savory yogarts like paneer. what a great idea! i'm not real fond of sweet yogarts and they get boring really fast.

i wondering whether i should take a day or so off after getting the braces. i guess i can play it by ear and see how i feel. i work in an office by myself for the most part, though the public does come in now and then. i do talk a lot on the phone at times, and i wonder how this is going to work for me.....i guess it will have to...somehow.

starting to get pretty nervous....wondering how it will be to sleep once the braces are on....is it hard to sleep because your metal braces are pressing into your check? i would think so....i'm a side sleeper and i can image the check of the side i sleep on might be pretty sore.

can you wear wax or silicon wax while you are sleeping if you are having pain? or is there some kind of problem w/ chocking on or swallowing the wax in your sleep?

i'll be so glad once monday (d day) has come and gone! i have to work on sunday (new board orientation and board meeting) and that will be a pretty stressful day. will be glad when that is over! and then the next day....braces at 8 am!!

GRILLZ

#6 Post by GRILLZ »

my pre braces smile. i didn't put on lipstick as i thought this would make my yellow teeth even more yellow. it was hard to take a picture of myself w the camera, but i managed somehow!
before teeth 0031.jpg
here's another one....i tried to get a side view but it didnt really work
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GRILLZ

#7 Post by GRILLZ »

just got back from working out...and i indulged in 40 grams of tex mex trail mix (kroger) i love that stuff, it's krunchy and spicy, but not so crunchy that i can't eat it w/ my messed up teeth if i'm careful....i'm going to miss not eating that. i have a weakness for salty crunchy much more than a sweet tooth. i really have a sour salty tooth, i guess.

i sort of get a panicked feeling every once in a while, like what in the heck am i doing.....but i try not to think too much about it.....

petal

#8 Post by petal »

I will be watching for your post on how your braces application goes. Know that there is a bit of a learning curve as you figure out how to care for your teeth with braces, you will have more good days than bad, when you look back at the process you will be so thankful and will feel like the time just flew by, most importantly know that you can do this! I am sending you many happy thoughts and best wishes for an amazing brace day!!

JennyLaughs

#9 Post by JennyLaughs »

Congrats on making the decision to do something wonderful for yourself! I got my braces (upper) on Monday, so we'll be close treatment time-wise. I really hope these help your chewing situation sooner rather than later. I felt really good the day I got mine on, it wasn't until the next day that my teeth started to feel a bit sore. I hope it goes as smoothly for you as it did for me!

GRILLZ

#10 Post by GRILLZ »

thanks jenny! yes, we'll be one week apart! have you posted a braces story yet? i don't see it.....??

GRILLZ

#11 Post by GRILLZ »

i've been sneezing all day at work! yuck....just what i wanted... a cold to coincide w/ being braced....i hope i'll be able to breath through my nose when they are bracing me.....i'll be sure to load up on the afrin.....i want to be able to breath...that is the one thing that would definitely freak me out....

oh my electric toothbrush arrived today! can't wait to try it...first time using one.....in 53 years i've never tried one. guess its time :-}

MarciLouWho

#12 Post by MarciLouWho »

GRILLZ wrote:i've been sneezing all day at work! yuck....just what i wanted... a cold to coincide w/ being braced....i hope i'll be able to breath through my nose when they are bracing me.....i'll be sure to load up on the afrin.....i want to be able to breath...that is the one thing that would definitely freak me out....

oh my electric toothbrush arrived today! can't wait to try it...first time using one.....in 53 years i've never tried one. guess its time :-}
Oh no! I hope you don't catch cold! Jenny's right - you'll feel fine the day you get them on (for the most part) but Day 2 is a little ouchie.

I love my Sonicare. But I do still sometimes use the manual toothbrush when my teeth are extra sensitive. :)

Good luck on your braces adventure! I look forward to reading your story.
Marci

Teeth sentenced to 24 months confinement: 12/3/10
Spacers: 12/16/10
Brace Date: 12/30/10
1st Adj: 2/14/11
2nd Adj: 2nd Banding Date: 4/20/11
3rd Adj: 6/24/11 - power chains upper and lower w/elastics 24/7
4th Adj: 8/3/11
Read about my Most Excellent Adventure here http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=38086!

~KMG~

#13 Post by ~KMG~ »

Best of luck to you!!!! Today was the first day that I could't use my electric toothbrush. OUCH!! It hurt pretty bad, so I switched to the manual. My ortho called to check on me tonight and she assured me that the sensitivity will get better. I was certainly glad to hear that, because I officially have a love affair going with my Oral-B. I didn't realize what I had been missing out on after all these years, as mine just arrived on Christmas Eve.

34 year old first-timer- 24 month sentence
1/3/11- braced (Innovation-C's on uppers and lowers)
5/2/11- impacted canine exposed- 1st time
6/9/11- impacted canine re-exposed and chain re-attached
3/1/12- impacted canine re-exposed and chain re-attached- 3rd time's a charm!

GRILLZ

#14 Post by GRILLZ »

i think i'm now in love w/ my oral b electric toothbrush as well. i can't say i've ever enjoyed brushing my teeth, i actually enjoyed it with the oral b :-} . after my first tentative time, i tried it again with the whitening head and i swear my very yellow teeth look a little less yellow. and my mouth feels wonderfully clean! it's fun to look at the little timer and see how long i brush my teeth. i usually go for around 3 1/2 minutes. i'm alittle awkward as i round the front corners of my mouth, but soon i'll be a pro, i'm sure. :dance:

GRILLZ

#15 Post by GRILLZ »

feeling kinda low w/ this cold of mine.....didn't sleep well last night....darn to get this now right before braces.... :FeelSick: