Damon 3 Wearers, Please Check In!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

crystalrnc

Damon 3 Wearers, Please Check In!

#1 Post by crystalrnc »

Hello everyone :D

I will be getting Damon 3's on 2.8.06, and am desperately seeking to "speak" with individuals who have them. I would like to know what to expect and comfort level. Also are they really as small as they claim? I've never seen anyone in person w/them on, and the only pics I see are of "mouths", but I'm interested in the true size in comparison to the face. If anyone can help me, I would so greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much, and this seems to be a great group! :D
Soon to be Braced with Damon 3's on 2.8.06. Yippee! ^_^

zzblonde

#2 Post by zzblonde »

Hey crystal. I will be getting Damon 3's on this Wednesday so I'll let you know how it goes. From what I've heard and read they are suppose to be more comfortable than the metal b/c of the smaller size...but who knows.

lucyloo6201

I have Damon 3's.

#3 Post by lucyloo6201 »

I've been wearing them for a year now. I have to be truthful - when I first got them on, they hurt like a SOB the very next day..... BUT, it only lasted a few days. From what I have read here, they are a lot more comfortable than regular metal braces. That is also what my ortho told me.

As for actual size, they are smaller than regular braces, but they are metal, so people will see them. I have been told however, that people hardly notice them. Dont know if its true or not.

Good luck - and the adjustments are a piece of cake - in and out of the office in 5 minutes.
Damon 3 brackets, upper and lower.
Braced 1/19/05.
Expected Treatment lenght: 2 years.
1 upper bicuspid extraction to occur 2/10/05.

gemini

#4 Post by gemini »

I'll be getting Damon 3s today. =)
I'll let you know what I find out...

johnnys_angel

#5 Post by johnnys_angel »

Damon's hurt something BAD the day after I got them, but after that it was fine. I have heard from both my ortho and people here that they are smaller, more comfortable, and less pain in the long run as opposed to 'normal' braces. I really liked them and,truthfully, miss my braces now :oops: :lol:
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

crystalrnc

#6 Post by crystalrnc »

zzblonde wrote:Hey crystal. I will be getting Damon 3's on this Wednesday so I'll let you know how it goes. From what I've heard and read they are suppose to be more comfortable than the metal b/c of the smaller size...but who knows.
Yes, please do! Good luck at your appointment as well. Do you think you may post a pic? (hint...hint) :lol:

crystalrnc

Re: I have Damon 3's.

#7 Post by crystalrnc »

lucyloo6201 wrote:I've been wearing them for a year now. I have to be truthful - when I first got them on, they hurt like a SOB the very next day..... BUT, it only lasted a few days. From what I have read here, they are a lot more comfortable than regular metal braces. That is also what my ortho told me.

As for actual size, they are smaller than regular braces, but they are metal, so people will see them. I have been told however, that people hardly notice them. Dont know if its true or not.

Good luck - and the adjustments are a piece of cake - in and out of the office in 5 minutes.
Good to know. Thanks

When you see yourself in the mirror,or pictures, do YOU feel like all you see is braces?

crystalrnc

#8 Post by crystalrnc »

Does anyone have pics they wouldn't mind posting? I know, I'm just so anxious :oops: I'm 26 y/o and FINALLY getting braces :D

BTW, to sweeten the pot I have crowding, 4 wisdom teeth & 1 baby tooth, (possibly 2 addt'l teeth to "reduce my profile", so says the ortho) that will be extracted. FUN FUN FUN :-*

jennielee81

#9 Post by jennielee81 »

I've had Damon III's for 9 months now. They're smaller than the regular type, but they stick out from your tooth farther. No big deal.

The doors on mine slide open without any trouble at all. Some people here have had a little sticking, but none for me and I think the vast majority of wears don't have that problem either.

The adjustments are SO QUICK. The lack of ligatures is fabulous...NO STAINS!

Here's a picture of my bottom brackets at 22 weeks ( am now at about 36 weeks). I have Damons on all of my bottoms and on the top pre-molars and molars:

Here's a close up:

"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Destor

Re: Damon 3 Wearers, Please Check In!

#10 Post by Destor »

crystalrnc wrote:Hello everyone :D

I will be getting Damon 3's on 2.8.06, and am desperately seeking to "speak" with individuals who have them. I would like to know what to expect and comfort level. Also are they really as small as they claim? I've never seen anyone in person w/them on, and the only pics I see are of "mouths", but I'm interested in the true size in comparison to the face. If anyone can help me, I would so greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much, and this seems to be a great group! :D
Heya crystal,
as the above posters have already said, the brackets are a bit smaller than the typical variety. And half-ceramic which helps hide them, they're also very smooth. I've had almost no trouble with the lips and gums except right at the beginning, and a hook or two poking into the cheeks. Other than that they've been great for this month and a half or so :thumbsup: good luck with yours!
Braced November 29, 2005. Damon 3's on top and bottom

Yeatsmom

Damon 3s good news and bad news

#11 Post by Yeatsmom »

Glad to hear from Jennielee81 that Damons stick out from the tooth farther. I have been convinced of that, but had never had anyone confirm it. They are a bit less noticeable, although as far as I'm concerned, anything stuck to one's teeth is bound to be noticed. I wonder, though, if food gets trapped more easily because the 'fence line' is positioned farther from the ground; seems that way to me. And it's more difficult to get your tongue over them and under the ledge below your teeth to dig out bits of food.

The only reason I keep going is because my boyfriend, who became my husband last Saturday evening, has been super about all of it, and would think I was a quitter if I gave up now--especially as the wedding pics are all tin grin smiles. Oh, well. And it didn't hurt any when I mentioned that I would have the world's most beautiful smile in another 21 months, and he said I had the world's most beautiful smile now!

Best to all,

Yeatsmom

Yeatsmom

Damon 3s good news and bad news

#12 Post by Yeatsmom »

Glad to hear from Jennielee81 that Damons stick out from the tooth farther. I have been convinced of that, but had never had anyone confirm it. They are a bit less noticeable, although as far as I'm concerned, anything stuck to one's teeth is bound to be noticed. I wonder, though, if food gets trapped more easily because the 'fence line' is positioned farther from the ground; seems that way to me. And it's more difficult to get your tongue over them and under the ledge below your teeth to dig out bits of food.

The only reason I keep going is because my boyfriend, who became my husband last Saturday evening, has been super about all of it, and would think I was a quitter if I gave up now--especially as the wedding pics are all tin grin smiles. Oh, well. And it didn't hurt any when I mentioned that I would have the world's most beautiful smile in another 21 months, and he said I had the world's most beautiful smile now!

Best to all,

Yeatsmom

Attagirl2

#13 Post by Attagirl2 »

Hi, I have been in Damon 3's for 14 months now. I am one who had trouble with the doors sticking because I make a lot of tartar. At my last exam, he use a "plyer" like tool and the doors just popped open. Also, my orthodontist and two of his staff are now wearing Damon 3's. As for pain, I had discomfort for the first few days - took ibuprophen. There was some discomfort after the adjustments but not as bad as the initial placing. Pain / discomfort all depends on the person's pain threash hold and how much has to be moved.

I will be in elastics next month, so that will be a new challenge to me. Good luck with your journey. I think you will be happy with the decision you have made.
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

zzblonde

#14 Post by zzblonde »

crystalrnc wrote:Does anyone have pics they wouldn't mind posting? I know, I'm just so anxious :oops: I'm 26 y/o and FINALLY getting braces :D

BTW, to sweeten the pot I have crowding, 4 wisdom teeth & 1 baby tooth, (possibly 2 addt'l teeth to "reduce my profile", so says the ortho) that will be extracted. FUN FUN FUN :-*
Anxious doesn't begin to discribe what I'm feeling now...my nerves are on overdrive. Just to let you know you're not the only 26 y/o out here...I can't remember when I started saving $$ for this day. So close... :?

zzblonde

#15 Post by zzblonde »

crystalrnc wrote:Does anyone have pics they wouldn't mind posting? I know, I'm just so anxious :oops: I'm 26 y/o and FINALLY getting braces :D

Anxious doesn't begin to discribe what I'm feeling now...my nerves are on overdrive. Just to let you know you're not the only 26 y/o out here...I can't remember when I started saving $$ for this day. So close... :?