January Braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

chrisd

#31 Post by chrisd »

january 27th here. nervously excited
http://community.webshots.com/user/cruelcanbekind
3m clarity on top changed to supertorque metal
3m victory metals bottom
estimated treatment time 16-20 months

MyTinGrin

#32 Post by MyTinGrin »

got mines January 11th. able to chew again since yesterday :lol:

MsTiaLia

Braced on Jan. 18th

#33 Post by MsTiaLia »

sydsmom wrote:zzblonde, you and I have the same braced date!
Hi sydsmom, zzblonde, and jrbecca!!! It seems that we all got braced on the same day! My teeth are still kind of tender. I could see movement as soon as day 2! I can't wait to get my bottom done next month. It will be pretty cool to see all of my teeth come together! How are you guys coming along?

MsTiaLia

MsTiaLia

Braced on Jan. 18th

#34 Post by MsTiaLia »

Oops, never mind...I would delete this...if I knew how :oops:

Sorry
Last edited by MsTiaLia on Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

3n1believer

23 Jan

#35 Post by 3n1believer »

I got braced this past Saturday 21st. So far I've went from "What did I do", to "kinda cool", to my current "exactly how much longer???"
Hard to get used to!
Last edited by 3n1believer on Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ceramic uppers and lowers
My 30th birthday present to myself was braces!

Elle

#36 Post by Elle »

Got my braces today!

Good luck to everyone who have yet to get theirs. It was not as painful as I had expected.

I got metal braces on top only and am currently trying to figure out what to eat for dinner tonight. Thanks to this site, I've gotten plenty of good suggestions! :D

missing_tooth

#37 Post by missing_tooth »

Congradulations!!!

I would like to recommend an easy on braces food. I ate fish and mash potatoes. The fish is flaky and well mashpotatoes, both are easy on the mouth and braces.

- Missing Tooth -

MsTiaLia

Ditto

#38 Post by MsTiaLia »

Yeah,
Missing_Tooth is right. When I got my spacers I was having difficulty biting down, so I went to Red Lobster and ordered the Fish & Chips. Of course the fries weren't EVEN about to happen, so I got mashed potatoes and applesauce. It was great! I'm on day 5 of braces and I'm reaching the point where I don't want to SEE another potato! I have had potatoes, in some form, everyday! I'm glad it is a food I like!

Have fun!

Aurelia

#39 Post by Aurelia »

Well done to all the January 'Bracers' so far :D

Mine are going on this Wednesday after work!! Just the top first (metal brackets)and then the bottom one later. I am so dreading it and its kinda like I have 2 voices in my head at the mo, the first is saying go for it, it will be so worth it, its what you have always wanted etc but the second is saying OH MY GOD!! I am going to look awful, I wont look like me anymore, how am I going to live a normal life and this is for a year!!

Yikes..... :shock:

Well, I know I have to go through with it or I'll never be able to smile with confidence so I am going to try my hardest to be brave like all you guys have.

ssfw

#40 Post by ssfw »

Hi Aurelia,

It's difficult to say "don't be nervous" about getting your braces this week. I understand why you are nervous - you will look different and feel a bit different. But, after it's done you will feel relieved and hopefully feel very little discomfort. Be good to yourself and treat yourself to something after each ortho appt. - that's what I do - it makes it more fun, whether it's getting a favorite coffee, going to the movies, getting something special for dinner, etc. I think the part that makes people the most nervous is the visibility of the braces. I think if all braces were not visible, people would make the decision to get braces alot faster. Yes, you will get the questions of why, how long do you have to wear them and people wanting to see the braces. Soon after, all of this will stop and the braces will be a part of you. I will be getting my braces placed in about 3 months so I will be getting a bit nervous around that time too. But, just keep in mind the sooner you begin ortho treatment, the sooner you will be done. Whether you will have to wear them for 18 months or 4 years, the time will go by pretty quickly - don't you usually hear people say where has this year gone?" I'm proud of myself for beginning the year off with beginning orthodontic treatment.

Good luck and keep us posted.

ssfw
Aurelia wrote:Well done to all the January 'Bracers' so far :D

Mine are going on this Wednesday after work!! Just the top first (metal brackets)and then the bottom one later. I am so dreading it and its kinda like I have 2 voices in my head at the mo, the first is saying go for it, it will be so worth it, its what you have always wanted etc but the second is saying OH MY GOD!! I am going to look awful, I wont look like me anymore, how am I going to live a normal life and this is for a year!!

Yikes..... :shock:

Well, I know I have to go through with it or I'll never be able to smile with confidence so I am going to try my hardest to be brave like all you guys have.
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

MsTiaLia

#41 Post by MsTiaLia »

Hi Aurelia,
The night before I got my braces put on, I didn't get ANY sleep! I was SOOOO nervous. Then my appointment was at 8am so I was really sleep AND nervous. The hardest part was them putting the bands on. And it was probably more difficult for me than it will be for you. I had one tooth that I had a recent filling in and it was still really sensitive, so when they tried to put a band on it, it really hurt! And they did that one first, so of course my nerves were shot from that point on! Outside of that one tooth, there was no pain involved. The voices in my head were very talkative though. I just kept thinking, "Oh my Gosh! Is it REALLY too late for me to change my mind??? I am going to have all of this STUFF in my mouth for 2 years!!!" But all of those thoughts were gone when I woke up the next morning and saw that my teeth had already started moving! That excitement SO outweighs all of my concerns! And the braces actually don't look bad at all. I kind of like the way my smile looks with the pink ligatures :lol:

So relax as much as you can. It will be over before you know it!

genxsis

#42 Post by genxsis »

Count me in! Molar bands were in on the 17th, braces will be in Jan. 31st.

Aurelia

#43 Post by Aurelia »

awww thanks guys for your advice, it really helps. I know its going to be so worth it in the end I just hate the whole dentist thing, which is mainly the reason why I have ended up getting braces at 33 instead of 12!!! But I am shocked at myself so far that I have even been to the dentist and contemplated this, just goes to show how much I really dont like my smile.
I've got this far...may as well go the rest eh...
I will post some before and after pics up soon.

Thanks again.

:D

ssfw

#44 Post by ssfw »

Hi Aurelia,

I hope you chose an orthodontist that you like. The 2 orthodontists in the office I go to are great. Their staff are wonderful too. I think this is why I have such a positive attitude towards my ortho treatment. I think this really helps (me) and doesn't make the entire ortho experience dreadful, but everyone's different, some don't care about personality.

Good luck and keep us posted.

ssfw
Aurelia wrote:awww thanks guys for your advice, it really helps. I know its going to be so worth it in the end I just hate the whole dentist thing, which is mainly the reason why I have ended up getting braces at 33 instead of 12!!! But I am shocked at myself so far that I have even been to the dentist and contemplated this, just goes to show how much I really dont like my smile.
I've got this far...may as well go the rest eh...
I will post some before and after pics up soon.

Thanks again.

:D
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

gypsydoodlebug

#45 Post by gypsydoodlebug »

Jan. 12 here, with two build-ups on my left side. I can't eat much at all and have lost 7 lbs. overall. Just learned I can eat Sloppy Joes tonight, so I'm fully (and ate some protein!) for the first time tonight. I'm getting used to them and don't want to put a bullet in my brain so much anymore :roll: although I still have rubbing on my top right side and have a prominent lisp.

When my two-and-a-half year old first saw them, I told her they would make Mommy beautiful. She said, "Mommy, you ARE beautiful!"

And that's all that matters, right!?

I was nervous, too. My ortho gave me a script for Xanax, made me take one before I came in and had me bring the bottle in case I freaked out during. But I had nitrous, too, so I did ok. I have a MAJOR fear of dentists!! :shock:
Braced January 12, 2006:
Ceramic Uppers
Metal Lowers
24-30 mos.