Archwire - like a needle into my cheek!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ssfw

#16 Post by ssfw »

I would call your orhto's office today. Three more days of wire poking in your cheek is a long time - is it irritating your cheek?

After I had my braces on for 1 week, the archwire was sticking out a bit on my left side. The wire didn't poke me but I felt it when my tongue made contact with it. I wasn't majorly concerned but called my ortho's office the next morning and was told this is common because the archwire I have is very light and the movement is caused by the movement of my teeth. My concern was that maybe the wire from the other band got unattached from the bracket - unfortunately I couldn't see it because it is a metal bracket on the band and the archwire is metal. My ortho's office said it would be best that I come in so that they can take a look to see if it did get unattached or if the excess wire was just from the movement of my teeth. As it turns out, it was just excess wire from the movement of my teeth so the assistant clipped it and to try to avoid this from happening again, she placed a stopper in the archwire - towards the back tooth and it's been great since then.

My orthodontist has told me to never hesitate to call if I'm having a problem with my expander or braces. He told me that they don't want their patients in any avoidable pain or discomfort. Everyone is so nice at my ortho's office. I too have apologized for having to make a couple additional appts. for unexpected things - they have told me that there is no need to apologize.

My ortho's office always has an assistant on call so if there is ever an after-hours emergency, someone would be available to help me. I'm also fortunate that my ortho's office is about 10 minutes away. The assistant even told me that it's best to call to schedule an appt. for unexpected things during office hours rather than wait until after-hours - it will save the assistant a trip to the office. I think I would be too scared to cut the wire myself because I would be afraid that I might do something to effect the entire archwire.

Regarding getting my teeth cleaned and getting the wire removed then put back in - you just need to schedule your appt. to get the wire removed, get your teeth cleaned and get the wire placed again ahead of time so that it works well for your schedule and your ortho's office schedule. You will get use to it and if you think about it you only have to do this a few times because that's how often you get your teeth cleaned. I was told that removing the archwire is easier for the hygienist to do a better cleaning and just not have to work around the archwire.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

fins

#17 Post by fins »

IntentionallyBlank- In my case I could count on the wire poking out the back exactly one week after my adjustments. I just made an appointment and had the wire clipped each time. It only took a minute and the office didn't seem to mind.

There's enough discomfort to deal with, why not alleviate at least SOME of it.
fins

blackcat20

#18 Post by blackcat20 »

Ive hit the 5 week mark today, and just becuase I have to give a presentation in a couple of hours, my archwire has gone homicidal and is poking into my cheek. No time to get it fixed cos Im at uni so Ive globbed on a huge chunk of wax until I can get it clipped....