Palatal Expanders

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

CanberraRaiders

#31 Post by CanberraRaiders »

felicia wrote:That's exactly how my treatment was too...I had to wear my expander for 2 more months after the braces were put on. It will be such a relief to have the expander removed...all that extra space left in your mouth...no more worries about food getting stuck in it...your hygiene routine so much easier and shorter...
Ahh I see I guess its a similar story for all of us expander people. Your telling me! I cannot wait for the day it is removed!

Does it hurt when they remove the molar bands? I've been wondering how the hell they're going to get them off? My ortho said he will remove the expander & the bands and just put regular brackets on them.

DrBlur

#32 Post by DrBlur »

CanberraRaiders wrote:
DrBlur wrote:
CanberraRaiders wrote:Thanks for the information felicia! I think i remember seeing those at the chemist so I will grab some tomorrow.

It has been 5 days & 10 painfull turns of the key. For those of you who had a key turning expander, how long did it take for you to notice any expansion?
When I get my braces on in 3 weeks I'm getting a turn-key expander as well...does it hurt with every turn?
I turned mine twice a day for 16 days straight. The first 3-4 days it was just a dull ache & a constant headache that lasted about 3 weeks. then from about day 5 till my last day of turns, the pressure of the turns was just ridiculous. Turning it twice a day was not fun at all. I'm not trying to scare you or anything but that was just my experience. May aswell tell the truth.

In saying all of that, I didn't take any sort of pain relieving medicine so maybe that would've helped ease the discomfort.

Lets hope your cross bit isn't bad and you only have to turn once a day for 2 weeks or something.
Yeah my crossbite is fairly mild...my ortho had told me it'll probably be one turn per day on the expander...but still, it seems like it's gonna hurt. Thanks for you insight! :D
32 years old, total time in braces=30 months

-Braces and palate expander on 4/15/10
-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

CanberraRaiders

#33 Post by CanberraRaiders »

DrBlur wrote: Yeah my crossbite is fairly mild...my ortho had told me it'll probably be one turn per day on the expander...but still, it seems like it's gonna hurt. Thanks for you insight! :D
I guess it's more of an imense pressure in your head right after the turn more than a pain. It subsides after a minute or so after the turn. Take some pain relievers for the headaches & you should be fine. One turn per day shouldn't be too bad. Your a lucky one :D. & just remember you'll only have to turn for a few weeks at most. Goodluck!

DrBlur

#34 Post by DrBlur »

^well I am worried when you mention headaches...frequent headaches are something I suffer from now (due mainly to problems with my jaw/bite, which is why I'm getting the braces/expander) but to suffer a bit more so that eventually I will have no problems, it'll be worth it

-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

felicia

#35 Post by felicia »

I was afraid too about how they will remove my expander...it was no big deal. The ortho assistant just grabbed the outside part of the molar band with some kind of pliers, she cranked it a little bit until it became loose, then she did the same thing with my other molar band...and out it was. It did not hurt, but there was some pressure until that glue that was holding the band became loose. Then, she put in new molar bands and I was out the door.

DrBlur

#36 Post by DrBlur »

felicia wrote:I was afraid too about how they will remove my expander...it was no big deal. The ortho assistant just grabbed the outside part of the molar band with some kind of pliers, she cranked it a little bit until it became loose, then she did the same thing with my other molar band...and out it was. It did not hurt, but there was some pressure until that glue that was holding the band became loose. Then, she put in new molar bands and I was out the door.
Good to know, thanks for sharing! How long is typical to wear the expander? My orthodontist hasn't told me yet

-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

Chicagogal

#37 Post by Chicagogal »

DrBlur wrote:
felicia wrote:I was afraid too about how they will remove my expander...it was no big deal. The ortho assistant just grabbed the outside part of the molar band with some kind of pliers, she cranked it a little bit until it became loose, then she did the same thing with my other molar band...and out it was. It did not hurt, but there was some pressure until that glue that was holding the band became loose. Then, she put in new molar bands and I was out the door.
Good to know, thanks for sharing! How long is typical to wear the expander? My orthodontist hasn't told me yet
I was surprised you were turning so often, then i saw in another post that you had surgical help so they can probably speed it up.

I just got mine yesterday (ugh, way worse than I remember from 19 years ago) and for the first month i'm turning it every third night and we'll go from there, anticipated 2.5 months of total expansion.
Update: 4-2013 Back in Brackets :(
lower braces: 3/2/10
hyrax palate expander: 3/29/10
upper braces: est. 6/2010 (8/6/10 actual)
bone plate surgery: 1/2011 actual
bone plate removal: 7/2011 actual
Debracing: 10-25-11 ACTUAL!!! advanced hawley retainer
Rebracing: 4-3-13...front teeth rotated #2s lifted.

DrBlur

#38 Post by DrBlur »

I found out from the surgeon yesterday that once I have my operation, it'll be turned every day until it's the desired width, then it will be stopped so my palate can heal

-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

CanberraRaiders

#39 Post by CanberraRaiders »

Ahh good to hear. My ortho said I'll just be getting regular brackets once the expander is removed.

I must say ever since the braces have gone on I have completely forgotten the expander is even there. Its funny how your mind works. Nevertheless can't wait for the day for it to come out.

Chicagogal

#40 Post by Chicagogal »

Ok, I'm SURE i'm just being a huge baby, but this expander is so much worse than i rememberd from almost 20 years ago, even though i think it's the exact same one.

I just don't remember the plastic going this far back toward my throat. i know (well, HOPE) the speaking will get easier, but eating is hell. I have no desire for food of any kind because it goes straight up into the gap between the expander & the roof of my mouth. then, if loosened with beverage, straight down the back of my throat causing massive gagging. ugh. am i doomed to a liquid diet for the next 2 months?! it has been two weeks and I can't seem to remember why i ever enjoyed the taste of food.
Update: 4-2013 Back in Brackets :(
lower braces: 3/2/10
hyrax palate expander: 3/29/10
upper braces: est. 6/2010 (8/6/10 actual)
bone plate surgery: 1/2011 actual
bone plate removal: 7/2011 actual
Debracing: 10-25-11 ACTUAL!!! advanced hawley retainer
Rebracing: 4-3-13...front teeth rotated #2s lifted.

CanberraRaiders

#41 Post by CanberraRaiders »

The expander obviously did the job for me (excuse the sesame camera phone after shot):

Before:

CanberraRaiders

#42 Post by CanberraRaiders »

Whoops! here's the after:

CanberraRaiders

#43 Post by CanberraRaiders »

Chicagogal wrote:Ok, I'm SURE i'm just being a huge baby, but this expander is so much worse than i rememberd from almost 20 years ago, even though i think it's the exact same one.

I just don't remember the plastic going this far back toward my throat. i know (well, HOPE) the speaking will get easier, but eating is hell. I have no desire for food of any kind because it goes straight up into the gap between the expander & the roof of my mouth. then, if loosened with beverage, straight down the back of my throat causing massive gagging. ugh. am i doomed to a liquid diet for the next 2 months?! it has been two weeks and I can't seem to remember why i ever enjoyed the taste of food.
I feel your pain!!!! believe me it gets better as each day passes. Your brain will teach itself how to eat with the expander. Eventually stuff won't get stuck anywhere near as much. Hang in there! by the time you get braces on, you'll somewhat forget about the expander.

DrBlur

#44 Post by DrBlur »

Well when I got my molar bands on last week, the orthodontist told me it'll likely be 3 turns a day for as long as it takes after my surgery until it's to his liking...bring on the pain!

-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

suzyscientist

#45 Post by suzyscientist »

OMG Canberra that looks amazing. How long did that take?

DrBlur - how long does your ortho expect you to turn the expander? Like months?

I'm getting really confused about this expander business. I may or may not need one - ortho is trying to widen my upper bite with just orthodontics (which keep breaking - I'm going for my 4th repair job tomorrow!) but the surgeon said to remember that I might need surgery on my upper jaw to widen it.

He said that the surgery would be done early on, and that it would leave me with approx 6mm gap between my upper front teeth that braces would fix. But he also said I would need this expander thing that you turn a key everyday.

So, my question is, are these two separate treatments (and I've gotten confused - easily done) or do I need extra-super-duper-uber-ultra upper palate expansion with *both* surgery and the key-turny-expander-thing?

I could ask my ortho tomorrow when I go in for repairs (I feel like a rusty old car) but they always say "it depends what the surgeon says when you next go to joint clinic" - that's in May and I'm impatient.

Sorry for the total mickey mouse question :)

Suzy