Brown stains around brackets

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Miss Moppet

Brown stains around brackets

#1 Post by Miss Moppet »

Hello - i've had my braces on for about 6 weeks now. I have been keeping them and my teeth really clean as i was worried about decacification (the white spots you can get on your teeth around brackets). However i have now noticed brown stains on my teeth around my brackets - it looks like the stains i used to have on the inside of my bottom teeth before i had a good scale and polish and i think it was the result of too many cups of tea over the years :-) So my question is, how can i remove the stains with my braces on?- at this rate i will have brown teeth when my braces come off - will the ortho give them a proper clean when i go in for my adjustment in 4 weeks before he changes the wire? Will s normal dentist be able to de-stain them whilst the brace is still on? Should i be using smokers toothpaste or something? How do i get behind the wires to remove these stains?

jadestar

#2 Post by jadestar »

Good question..I'm starting to notice the same thing. I drink a lot of tea! I was thinking that it was the glue from the bracket that's becoming stained..usually after a good brushing it's gone but I've only had these brace for 2 months. I'm wondering if it will get worse as time goes by and what can I do besides giving up tea :?

Laura1985

#3 Post by Laura1985 »

Not sure if this will help completely, but I use an electronic toothbrush that has a super small tip as one of the attachments. Probably a centimeter long and a couple millimeters wide. It's perfect for getting behind the wire in those spaces I can't get my regular toothbrush to reach as easily as I want.
Upper: Damon3mx on 6/1/2009
Lower: 7/27/09
4 extractions done in May
Canine exposure eventually

starzz

#4 Post by starzz »

I'm a coffee drinker and the glue around some brackets has stained. It gets worse the longer I have braces. The staining on the glue does not go away with dental cleaning by hygienist (might get a bit lighter). I mostly use a straw now for coffee.
Braced for 2 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 5 days (the 2nd time ‘round)
Hawley on top, Essix on bottom

Miss Moppet

#5 Post by Miss Moppet »

An update on this one - i had to go to my Orthodontist as my wire came away from my back tooth and so i asked about the staining. He said it was the glue from when the brackets were fixed on and he would clean it all off at the next adjustment & it wld not be a permanent stain and said my teeth were being well looked after etc and no sign of cavities etc (which is what i was worried about) . So hopefully thats all ok then! Oh and also i got my next wire on early as my teeth are moving well. Teeth feel tight again and i'm going through tender teeth when chewing again but happy to be 4 weeks ahead in my treatment :-)

jxds

#6 Post by jxds »

I get stains as well but not in the glue, on the teeth -somehow it seems that smoking, cofee and wine stain teeth more with braces than before. I've had a couple of cleanings and everthing goes awa, so don't panic! :D
braced 07/02/08, braces off january 2010
sentence: 18 months, upper and lower damons + elastics
Bonded+essix retainers
My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=28298

starzz

#7 Post by starzz »

Yeah I get way worse coffee stains on the teeth too, since I got braces. However those clean up completely with professional cleanings. The excess glue stains, not so much. My self ligating ceramic braces do not stain, but the glue around them does :(
Braced for 2 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 5 days (the 2nd time ‘round)
Hawley on top, Essix on bottom

cocomacd

Re: Brown stains around brackets

#8 Post by cocomacd »

I think the tech who prepared my teeth for the bracket placement glued practically my whole tooth. Is that normal?! I don't want it to all stain!! :roll: :shock: :cry:
Journey Begins December 6, 2016
First time, Self ligating brackets
Age 38

Sentence: 12-18 months

sandiego88

#9 Post by sandiego88 »

No, I only have glue under the bracket. My ortho scrapped all excess glue off. Ask them to scrap it off.

sirwired

#10 Post by sirwired »

I developed heavy staining around my brackets soon after bracing; turned out to be the Cetyl Pyrindium Chloride in the ACT fluoride rinse I was using. The staining was removed, I stopped using the stuff, and was fine thereafter.

sameerali

#11 Post by sameerali »

Hi,

So i am assuming that several coffee in a day is not an issue while you are wearing braces.. Am i right? as i am too addicted of coffee and can't leave it :(

T1braces

#12 Post by T1braces »

I have metal braces and the light reflects differently with all the metal. I have slight staining and I'm having a deep cleanse on Monday (brackets been on for 9 weeks). Tea and coffee to tend to stain all teeth with braces or not. I use a non-alcohol fluoride mouth wash. I have heard some can discolour teeth. I'm sure when the braces finally come off and after a thorough clean and polish all will be great

jaime

#13 Post by jaime »

sameerali wrote:Hi,

So i am assuming that several coffee in a day is not an issue while you are wearing braces.. Am i right? as i am too addicted of coffee and can't leave it :(
Sameerali, I drank black coffee almost every single day while I had braces and did not have a problem at all. I had the ortho scrape off any excess glue and I avoided Cetyl Pyrindium Chloride mouthwashes (after learning the hard way), and I was totally fine. Drink your coffee in peace! :mrgreen:
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

sameerali

#14 Post by sameerali »

Thanks Jaime.. Could you please tell me why you are not using Chloride mouthwashes ? are there any disadvantages?

jaime

#15 Post by jaime »

sameerali wrote:Thanks Jaime.. Could you please tell me why you are not using Chloride mouthwashes ? are there any disadvantages?
Yup, because they have a tendency to stain your teeth to a dingy brown colour. It's difficult to remove it at home, but it can be removed by a routine cleaning at the dentist.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)