Animal Elastic Sizes? - Very Confused

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

braceurself91

Animal Elastic Sizes? - Very Confused

#1 Post by braceurself91 »

Hey fellow metal mouths,

I just started "zebra" elastics today. I am so confused on how the animals are associated with the size of elastic.

Can someone please explain to me what animals are for which sizes? It would be so helpful. Is zebra the smallest size since I just started with it?

I probably should have asked my ortho these questions but it slipped my mind.

Thanks!!

ItsFreyja

Re: Animal Elastic Sizes? - Very Confused

#2 Post by ItsFreyja »

Actually, the animal names are pretty arbitrary, so don't try too hard to figure it out. :)

If you're super curious, all the elastic sizes and weights are listed with their animal names on page 125 of the Ormco catalog:
https://ormco.com/pdf-downloads/product ... 121013.pdf

braceurself91

#3 Post by braceurself91 »

Good to know!

Thanks ItsFreyja!! :)

EWUgal15

#4 Post by EWUgal15 »

My elastics are named after people...

I'm currently wearing Bill elastics. It only gets weird when one of your co-workers notices...and then remembers that you have a mutual co-worker named Bill.

Tyrantblade

#5 Post by Tyrantblade »

Its just a theme to be kid friendly, and actually Zebras arent the smallest and are one of the heavier weights

I also started with Zebras on day one
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

Felina Grimm

#6 Post by Felina Grimm »

The sizes are given names because they're easy to memorize, so you know which ones you need to use on which areas of your mouth.
Sentence: 24 months, months served: 35 months
Traditional Full-Metal Brackets
Top: 9/9/2014
Bottom: 10/15/2014
Debonded: 8/7/2017