Is this brushing routine ok... (imflamed gums)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

skittley80

Is this brushing routine ok... (imflamed gums)

#1 Post by skittley80 »

Hey all, I had an adjustment and my ortho said my gums are imflamed and I need to brush more. (Yes I was slacking on the care on my teeth) So I was wondering if my routine i'm doing now is ok and also if my gums will get healtier if i keep doing this.

Morning when wake up
Brush with regular tooth paste
Brush gums with listerine
Use a flouride mouthwash

Night
Brush with flouride toothpaste
Brush gums with listerine
Use listerine mouthwash
Floss (in the areas I can)
Use waterpik

I don't really brush during the day, is this ok?? And I don't brush all that rigoursly in the morning since I hadn't had anything to eat since my night brush (i don't eat breakfast).. So is this ok, or should I brush more? I really want to get my gums healthy before my next adjustment. It is not fun when the ortho is disappointed in our oral care :(

Thanks for any tips or advice

--Braced..upper and lower on 7/17/06
--Orthognathic surgery (upper and lower jaw)..possibly summer of '07

mindwaves

#2 Post by mindwaves »

Sounds ok to me as long as you thoroughly rinse your mouth with water after lunch.

rsprouse

#3 Post by rsprouse »

If you have inflammation then you need to clean more thoroughly and more frequently. There is no set number that works for everyone. My wife can brush and floss in virtually one minute and she does an amazing job of cleaning. She has never had any dental work other than prophy's. I am shocked when I clean her teeth at how clean they are. I on the other hand am constantly brushing in order to maintain my oral health. Of course having braces makes it more cumbersome and it takes longer, but it is what I need to do. My point is that the amount of care will vary from person to person. Do what you need to maintain your oral health. If your current regime keeps you plaque free then go with it. If not then you need some treatment adjuncts.

Good Luck,
Rory

rsprouse

#4 Post by rsprouse »

Personally I'd advise against the Listerine since any alcohol-containing rinse is likely to be tougher on already inflamed tissues.
Not entirely true, certain alcohol containing mouth rinses (especially Listerine) are clinically proven to reduce bacteria associated with plaque. Theoretically fewer bacteria means less plaque, which means less inflammation. In a practical matter, excessive use of Listerine will tend to dry out the oral cavity leaving the gingiva sore and puffy.

If you want a bactericidal rinse that won't dry the mouth check out Crest Pro Health Rinse (or anything containing CPC). I have seen mixed reviews on this site, but have seen and heard much better results from my own patients. As always, YMMV.

Regards,
Rory