Weight loss and braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pink77blondie

Weight loss and braces

#1 Post by pink77blondie »

Did anyone lose weight when they got their braces :?: :?: :shock:

bracesat35

#2 Post by bracesat35 »

Hi pinkblondie, I had 12 metal brackets (6 upper, 6 lower) yesterday. I forgot how difficult it is to eat when your teeth are all slightly sore! Plus cleaning them is a pain, so I didn't eat very much yesterday. I woke up in the middle of the night because I was hungry, but I was too tired to deal with figuring out what to eat and worrying about cleaning my teeth so I didn't bother. This morning my stomach of course was concave. I am a thin person already and I just know I am going to have trouble keeping weight on while I have these braces. It's just more convenient to eat less!

pink77blondie

#3 Post by pink77blondie »

thanks for answering ... I will be getting mine soon and I am kinda hoping I do lose some weight cause it definatly wouldn't hurt me!

platinum

#4 Post by platinum »

I ate before braces just fast food, burgers, pizza, mexican food.
Now I can't eat them anymore. Just bananas, porridge, ice cream, smoothies and soups. I could expect some weight loss, because I am not eating fattening burgers anymore....
My weight is ok, but there some kilos, which came after I got to USA :D

ngbraces

#5 Post by ngbraces »

Hi pink77blondie,

I lost 4 lbs the first week after I had braces on. I ate less due to the discomfort while eating :thumbsup: In the following weeks, the discomfort reduced then my eating was back to normal, "recovered" more than completely! :shock: I thought I was eating to recover but in fact I got 4lbs back and gained 5 lbs more! :yikes: :ThumbsDown: It took me some time to lose the "extra". :D :lol: :lol:
Welcome to brace journey! :-1
Last edited by ngbraces on Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Full Metal Mouth

ema27

different...

#6 Post by ema27 »

Im actually the opposite! ever since getting upper braces i have not stopped eating! the ist day was a little tender but now i can eat everything i ate before (except apples but i never did like them that much!)

i must have a strange obession or something!!!i cant stop eating !!!
Good luck in getting braced it isnt that bad!!

ghostmyimag3

#7 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

To date i have lost 10 lbs Since November 8th 2006. I eat my normal meals, i just cut the snacking out and soda's well i have one diet soda a day and that is at lunch. I am now wearing size 6 jeans woohoo!
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

lionfish

#8 Post by lionfish »

I lost about 2-3kgs (around 5-7lbs) in the first few weeks. Most of it went back on again afterwards.

SDFD TSchott

#9 Post by SDFD TSchott »

to date I have also lost 10 pounds, I went from 155 to 145 but then again for the past 3 days I haven't been feeling all well myself so I think that might of contributed to some of the weight loss!

I Must gain that weight back soon, doctor says I'm underweight for my height and age!

SDFD TSchott

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

platinum

#10 Post by platinum »

One lady i see sometimes at work told me taht i have lost weight. Well, having braces for four days should not make that kind of difference...
I think it is my retainer which prevents me to bite down, so my face looks longer.

Gennel

#11 Post by Gennel »

If you love food as much as I do you will find a way to eat :-)
When I got my extractions I lost 11 lbs in two weeks. Then after Igot braced I gained it back. I could not chew and my teeth were sore for awhile but you will start eating again soon!

Gennel

Lucifina

#12 Post by Lucifina »

I was sooo hoping to lose weight because of braces but braces themselves did not do anything to prevent eating :( I have had no pain at all from my braces. I read all this hype that they would hurt going on and the it would be sore or that you could not eat this or that but none of that is true :roll: For me anyway. No pain and no diet restrictions. Now in June I am getting my jaw broken so then I know I most certainly I will not be able to eat! Finally :mrgreen:
~Luci~ Image
It will all be worth it in the end!
UpdatedSiteImage

Julie08

Weight Loss

#13 Post by Julie08 »

I wish - but not one ounce in six months. :cry:

ghostmyimag3

#14 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

I am in the ideal range for my height even with the weight loss. I was eating alot of junk while at work and I wasn't even hungry i think i ate from stress or something. I'd be working on a machine and just feel like eating.
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

Lillers

#15 Post by Lillers »

I'll *weigh in* (OK, go ahead and groan) on this issue by saying that braces in and of themselves didn't slow me down at all. I love good food!

However, I'm pretty sure I lost a bit of weight (maybe 5 pounds) after my jaw surgery and have kept it off thanks to the wretched, brutal elastics :twisted: I now have to wear. Because of the whole oral hygiene routine I have to go through before putting on fresh elastics, I'm just less apt to snack.

I don't actually own a scale (evil, self-esteem destroying things, IMHO), so I can't confirm my weight loss 100%, but my clothes are definitely looser than they used to be.
Braced March 2005 (lower); November 2005 (upper); all ceramic. Goal = correcting overbite.

Lower jaw surgery was successfully performed December 18, 2006.