Question about elastics *update and more advice needed*

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kirjax

#31 Post by kirjax »

thank u. Yes that's exactly what I'm looking for!! Just to see what a
"perfect" bite should look like. And I think that gave me some reassurance. Thanks!

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

KatK

#32 Post by KatK »

My ortho said I must wear them ALL THE TIME... even when eating!! He told me that removing them for just TWENTY MINUTES will cause my teeth to stop moving. The constant starting and stopping of teeth is unhealthy and unproductive (as per him). Don't take them off for 2 hours at a time - this "break" will just prolog the misery. Leave them in and deal with it! :)

I don't mean to be harsh - but you HAVE to do it. :-)
~ Pendulum on December 1st
~ Damon lowers March 27
~ PENDULUM OFF MAY 22nd!
~ Palatal Bar installed May 22nd..
~ Damon clear uppers May 22 too!

platinum

#33 Post by platinum »

I wear elastics all the time. It is quite easy for me, because during the day I have an elastic only on my right side. I can eat easily etc. During the night I have them on both sides. I have class II elastics, and they are trying to fix my midline and overjet/bite.

I havent got too much pain from elastics. It is just the archwire, which is asseemingly pushing my lower laterals down. They are the only teeth that are sore.

kirjax

#34 Post by kirjax »

you weren't harsh. I know I need to be more consisitant but with the elastics I have when they're all in I can't open my mouth. It's like it's wired shut. So it's harder then u think. I can't even drink unless it's from a straw! But I'm doing better. I leave them in most of the time. I only take the fronts out when I need to eat then put them back in and I don't even feel them anymore except when I wake up in the morning and my mouth is all stiff so I have to take them out to brush and stretch my jaw! But overall the initial PAIN is gone. The annoyance of having them is just left over :wink:

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

loulou123

#35 Post by loulou123 »

Glad its getting easier :D as im banded shut i can understand what your saying, tho id love to be able to open enough for a straw!

Hope it continues to get better.

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/

Invisalignee

#36 Post by Invisalignee »

Ugh, took me a few days to learn how to put them on without going completely crazy lol.

I was told to eat with them, I was like no way! Well, I was right, they snap every single time I eat, so I am cheating by not putting them on when I eat. It's a waste anyway.

But other than that, just keep them on however they instruct you, you can never guess what an inconsistent regime will do to your teeth and how long the delay might be...
* Expand the gums > DONE! :)

* Invisalign treatment > DONE! :)

* Braces correction > UNDERGOING :|

* 3 Implants > NEXT YEAR! :(

Spidey

#37 Post by Spidey »

How much of an overjet should there be in a finished smile? Surrently my top front teeth lightly touch the lower brackets...

Spidey

#38 Post by Spidey »

No matter how often I see the diagram or read the definitions, I STILL confuse overbite with overjet!! (Must be the ADD)

Thanks Maryaten

Spanner

#39 Post by Spanner »

In my treatment plan it says that my overjet is 1mm but should be between 2-3mm. I'm not sure if that is the norm of if he meant that just for my specific case.