Has anyone finished on time???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Unlikejoey

#16 Post by Unlikejoey »

My original estimation was 5 months but my dentist thinks i'll be done in 4 now :)

jiggawatt

#17 Post by jiggawatt »

I'm hoping I'll be out earlies than the estimated 20-30 months. But I'm very patient -- and if I have to stick it out for 30 months, so be it. The way I look at is, I've suffered through have crooked teeth all these years -- what's another 2+ years -- and at least time will bring me a wonderful smile that I'm proud of!!

jiggawatt

#18 Post by jiggawatt »

I'm hoping I'll be out earlier than the estimated 20-30 months. But I'm very patient -- and if I have to stick it out for 30 months, so be it. The way I look at is, I've suffered through having crooked teeth all these years -- what's another 2+ years -- and at least this time waiting will bring me a wonderful smile that I'm proud of!!

jiggawatt

#19 Post by jiggawatt »

I'm hoping I'll be out earlier than the estimated 20-30 months. But I'm very patient -- and if I have to stick it out for 30 months, so be it. The way I look at is, I've suffered through having crooked teeth all these years -- what's another 2+ years -- and at least this time waiting will bring me a wonderful smile that I'm proud of!!

Lola

#20 Post by Lola »

I was given a 12-18 month estimate. To be on the safe side I made an 18 month ticker. Look at it now! The snail won..

Lola

#21 Post by Lola »

Just to clarify.. still braced :?

jambo532

super impatient

#22 Post by jambo532 »

So I have had mine for a month now and have seen lots of movement. My ortho actually gave me a really rough estimate he said between 18-24+ months. He says that with adult you can never tell. So I am hoping that since I have lots of movement I will be more on the 18 month side of things.
www.allbraced.blogspot.com

UGH!NOTAGAIN

#23 Post by UGH!NOTAGAIN »

my estimate was 12 mos...but im hoping sooner than that!..ive already seen alot of movement and my first adjustment is coming up on the 24th. with wisdom teeth extractions on the 29th =((( not so excited about that part...but i hope when my ortho sees my teeth he'll give me good news!...

im being wayyy too optimistic..i want them off in 6 :-} :-} :-}

MrMetalMouth1029

#24 Post by MrMetalMouth1029 »

I was initially estimated to get my braces taken off after 18-24 months. Then it turned to 18, but I got them taken off just short of 17. Life is good :)
Braced (upper and lower): 10/29/08
Debraced: 3/17/10
Now sportin' a permanent bottom retainer
Alternate clear retainers every 12 hours

Kitagirl

#25 Post by Kitagirl »

Some of it, I think, just depends on how well your teeth move and also how often you go for adjustments. I go every three weeks and don't miss an appointment so we'll see!
Age 35
Extractions May 2009
Ceramic uppers May 2009
Metal lowers approx November 2009
http://archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=34506

http://www.cakesbysuzy.com
http://cakesbysuzy.blogspot.com

Jendz

Difficulty closing gaps

#26 Post by Jendz »

I saw the topic of estimated vs. actual time in braces and it reminded me that I wanted to ask for some advice from those of you that see orthodontists.

I have had my braces on for almost 2 and 1/2 years, estimated at 15-18 months, ceramic top and metal bottom. This is how my treatment plan reads "Has a Class II malocclusion with anterior overbite and overject and crowding."

My dentist told me that I was a mild case and there wasn't a need to refer me to an orthodontist, of course, I believed him and didn't question him. But now I am getting really nervous!

I had 3 extractions in April of 2008, the lower right central incisor and both the upper left and right bicuspids. The bottom gap has completely closed but my other two gaps are really not budging. He has used all three sizes of elastics, he has added additional posts on my archwires, different sized springs, he has tried open and closed powerchains and the gaps won't close. On my right side with one of the treatments he tried it actually ended up moving my other molars the other way, he made a comment that it didn't make sense that he could move those molars but not the one we are trying to close.

The dentist is now talking about adding bond and he said "it will look ok". So yesterday he decided that I would be in finishing wires for 90-days and then he would get molds for my retainers, he also made a comment about a retainer that could help close the gaps.

Has anyone else had this sort of difficulty with closing their gaps?
Has anyone had the bond used to close gaps, if so how did turn out?

Any advice would help me so much.

Thank you!!

(my little ticker guy shows I should have had my braces off already!!)

Jen
Almost 2 1/2 years in full braces, ceramic on top, metal on the bottom. Had 3 teeth pulled, 1 gap closed-2 more to close with springs and bands. Estimated brace removal day about 90 days! (Looking at June 2010)

Becca

#27 Post by Becca »

I was estimated at 18-24 months. February 14 was the two-year mark of me having braces so I didn't finish on time, lol. I've just stopped expecting to be done any time soon to keep my hopes down. I'm super ready to get these things off!!

Takako

#28 Post by Takako »

I was estimated at 24 months (2 years as my ortho told me). I asked her in march how we were doing because it felt like nothing had happened for the past two or three months and she said I was right where I was supposed to be, and about half way through. SO! That made me feel better. I'm over a year in now, about 13 months. She said I was right in noting that the next months are the boring, frustrating ones, and to just stick it out!

As far as gap woes, let me tell you mine! In about september or october my ortho decided my teeth were straight enough to close my gaps. It is now April as we all know, and I still have a very slight gap on my lower right side. Closing the gaps is a VERY SLOW, very frustrating process, especially when you finally close them, and the ortho takes off the power chain, and within FIVE HOURS (not exaggerating here) MONTHS OF WORK opens back up. Literally. By the time I fell asleep that night my gaps on the right had opened back up several millimeters from being completely closed. That was december, and one stubborn gap still hasn't closed all the way.

fooforever

#29 Post by fooforever »

My ortho said it would be 18 months, its now been 21 and at my last appointment he still wouldn't commit to any sort of time scale!