Braces off in two weeks...top teeth sticking out

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Bikerchick85

Re: Braces off in two weeks...top teeth sticking out

#16 Post by Bikerchick85 »

Just my two cents... I wouldn't get debanded if I was not satisfied. That being said, I also wouldn't accept the result you have now even though it is a great improvement! :) If it were me, I would NOT do extractions. You have a skeletal problem that extractions won't fix. I would go through the surgery. Just my opinion that that's what will give you your best, most functional and most lasting end result. Hope that helps! And good luck! I'd go ahead and do it if you aren't preggers already ;)

MY STORY.. http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=43860

*4 Premolar Extractions-Nov. 29th, 2012*
*Upper Ceramic Braces-Dec. 11, 2012*
*Lower Metal Braces-Feb. 11th, 2013*
*Est. Sentence-24 months*

fosterp

#17 Post by fosterp »

It would look like that may be the best you can do without surgery or extractions.

You could maybe ask if IPR is an option on your top teeth. That is where they shave off a little bit between teeth in order to give room to retract further.

If you are really unhappy with the appearance it might be worth going the whole 9 yards and going for the surgery. Braces can only do so much.

Just make sure whatever you do, try to get on the same page as far as expectations are concerned to how your treatment will end up so you don't get to the end of whatever road you choose and be unhappy again.

Tobilei

#18 Post by Tobilei »

If you were to get debanded and have a baby (or two) over the next few years, then have the surgery, would you need to get braces a 3rd time? I'd ask in the meantime if there's anything else that can be done without extracting teeth if you don't want to and just see what your options are.

oimysizex

#19 Post by oimysizex »

Hello AltoRose, there is only so much braces can do and they look great and very straight and i think you have a good result with them alone. Obviously surgery would give you the BEST results but as you do not want to go through this i think your teeth have improved massively!!!!!

good luck :)

Been in braces foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

Anna5

#20 Post by Anna5 »

Hello!

Wow, what a huge improvement your teeth have made, congratulations!!! And yes, they are not perfect but probably the best you can get without surgery or extractions.
I think I would be happy with this results if I were you, considering your situation. But if you are not happy, definitely talk about it with your ortho. Maybe you can be in braces for a bit longer?
Or else, if you are really not happy, go for the surgery if you are not pregant yet. If you can get surgery soon so that I won't delay your conception too much. But otherwise,I would say, leave it for now. Your teeth have improved a lot, they definitely don't look bad. I even think they look fine! I would say, go and start a family. See how things are going and maybe have the surgery in a couple of years if you are still not satisfied then? Good luck! Please keep us updated!

AltoRose

#21 Post by AltoRose »

UPDATE

So I did get debraced this morning, on time and everything. My top teeth moved in just a teeny bit more since I first posted two weeks ago....no, they're not perfect but they're not panic-inducing, either. :D Overall, I just decided that I'd gotten what I wanted out of the braces. My crooked/crowded teeth are straight, I can bite into things again, and I can FLOSS like a normal person. (Huzzah!) Anything else at this point, such as jaw surgery, would have been purely cosmetic and I just don't want to go through all that unless I absolutely have to.

So here's the final result. There's still a minor open bite and the top teeth still do stick out a little, but I can live with it. They look WORLDS better than they did last year at this time. For 11 months of treatment and no surgery, I'm pretty happy.

(Incidentally, they gave me an Essix retainer and I HATE it. I can't bite down completely because of all the plastic so I'm walking around today looking like Napoleon Dynamite, lol. Can't wait to go back in a few weeks and switch to my Hawley!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Second go-round with braces! Age: 32

dobiegil

#22 Post by dobiegil »

Congratulations with your decision and debanding. Your teeth look great.

Robin

illay

#23 Post by illay »

i think they are actually not stick out but it looks stick out for you because the gum line of your front teeth is higher and you look at it in the point of view where there is still braces attached.

SunshineRay

#24 Post by SunshineRay »

Congrats!

djspeece

#25 Post by djspeece »

You look great and what a wondeful smile! Congratulations.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Anna5

#26 Post by Anna5 »

Congratulations on achieving all your goals!!! I am very happy for you and I think your teeth look beautiful!

Marie45

#27 Post by Marie45 »

Congratulations! I think your teeth look fabulous and you have a beautiful smile now! Enjoy... :jump:

Kipepeo

#28 Post by Kipepeo »

They do look pretty, and you have a very genuine smile. Congrats!!!

busy bee

#29 Post by busy bee »

Yay, congratulations! They look great!

Winkos

#30 Post by Winkos »

I think your teeth and smile look great. I respect that you took a conservative approach without surgery and extractions. I got braces for functional reasons, and not really for cosmetic reasons. I would be very happy to have my smile turn out as nice as yours.