Blocks on my teeth?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nix

Blocks on my teeth?

#1 Post by nix »

Hi everyone!

I am new here, so I'll introduce myself first! I have had my ceramic braces on for 5 weeks now and doing OK - although I wish I'd found this forum earlier! Am scared now of having the ceramics taken off - can anyone reassure me that it's not that bad???

Anyway, my story is that I have always hated my teeth, had some ortho work done when I was 14ish, it moved my teeth a bit but nothing really got followed up. Anyway, here I am at 26 having braces of my own volition - I am getting married in November and although my treatment won't be complete by then, my o/dontist is taking the brackets off for the wedding (for £500 thanks v much :wink: )

OK - I have an overbite, and so far my front teeth have not moved forward far enoguh to fit my bottom brackets in. In an effort to accelerate things so I get some improvement by November (my wedding), my o/dontist has put these 'blocks' on my upper and lower molars - just one on each side top and bottom. This is making chewing food a nightmare, as I have no cutting surfaces and only one point of contact each side. But I am coping. The o'dontist said these would be removed - but my question is HOW????!! I kind of always assumed brackets would be removed using some kind of solvent to dissolve the glue - tuens out not! So how will he get these blocks off the top of my teeth without pulling my teeth clean out????

Nix xx

jzaboo

#2 Post by jzaboo »

I'm not quite sure what the blocks are, unless it's spacers, but those are little bitty things wedged between your teeth. I wish I could be more help.

Perhaps by November, you won't think having the braces on is that big a deal, and won't even need to take them off.

I'm not going to say, "good luck on your journey" like everyone does, because I absolutely hate the life/journey metaphor-so overused, and so lame. But good luck with your braces and your marriage!

jzaboo

Epyx

#3 Post by Epyx »

Jzaboo, I respect that you don't like the "journey" metaphor - I guess it is bordering on a cliche. But I'm not really happy to have someone describe it as "lame", esp. on a support board where people have otherwise been so warm and supportive.

The braces process is long and full of ups and downs. It's a transitional period, a learning phase and a rite of passage. Even just in those dimensions, the descriptive term "journey" fits and resonates for many of us.

Dark_angel

#4 Post by Dark_angel »

What your describing seems to be molar buildups on your back molars to prevent you biting down all of the way and knocking off a lower bracket.
Im not entirely sure how they remove these but they will come off, some peoples on this board have even fallen out/ off so they cant be that hard to remove.

As for getting the brackets taken off for the wedding, are you sure thats what you want to do? Someone on these boards did that and afterwards they said that they wish they'd just left them on, not only for the extra money but because of the pain when they were put back on as well as the time.
Maybe an alternative is to have the wires removed leaving you with just the cerami brackets which are only visible close up, and on any close up shots the braces can be photo edited out.

November is ages away and im sure your teeth will have straightned out loads by then, welcome to the boards.

jzaboo

#5 Post by jzaboo »

Hey, far be it from me to keep someone from resonating!
As y'all go through your journey, remember, this is a speed bump, not a roadblock. And, if you take a detour because the partner in your journey parks his car in another garage, don't skid into a bar ditch! Get a tune-up, take the road less traveled, maybe pick up a hitchhiker, and go slow enough to read the billboards, until you reach your final destination. Hopefully you'll not wind up in the lower parking garage.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend the other day, but I'd just read a thread that had "journey" literally 3 times in the same paragraph, and I just saw it coming, tried to head it off at the pass, so to speak. You know, hire the road crew, put up the "slow" signs... Ok, here I go again, I'll step on the brakes. Dang. :)

ebruce25

#6 Post by ebruce25 »

I know after having my braces put on my orthodontist cemented white blocks behind my two front teeth, I think he called them "tooth turbos"? Because I have an overbite, it prevents my back teeth from touching all the way - also making chewing a nightmare. My front bottom teeth constantly slam against the "turbos".

Lisa65

#7 Post by Lisa65 »

ebruce they are called bite turbos, and I think i am going to have to have those too! :( they don't sound like much fun

Joanna20

#8 Post by Joanna20 »

Hey, I don't think you should worry at all. I don't know many people who had problems removing their braces.
If you pressure your brackets they will fall out! You could do it at home... (don't!).
So no worries!

Good luck
Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February