Spacers and Pain

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

amy

Spacers and Pain

#1 Post by amy »

I had eight spacers put in my top and bottom teeth about 5 days ago. I had already had spacers put in on the top for an expander which was placed and then removed. However, once the expander was removed, spacers were reinserted.

After five days, most of the pain is gone, though my teeth are a little sensitive. However, one tooth, my far back top molar, is really sensitive. It hurts to even touch. I'm a little worried since my expander didn't work and was pushing on my teeth for about a week before being removed. Also, about two weeks ago I had some cavities filled and I'm unsure if this tooth was among them.

Is this something I should contact my dentist about? Should I just hold out and hope the pain goes away? Anyone else deal with a similar problem?

Kitagirl

#2 Post by Kitagirl »

I would say if it doesn't go away in a week or so you should ask. There have been times I thought I had a bad problem, a tooth would hurt really bad....but if you are sure its all cleaned out good and flossed (if possible, I guess not with a spacer though)...if the pain is just from the spacer or being moved it should start to fade after about a week.
Age 35
Extractions May 2009
Ceramic uppers May 2009
Metal lowers approx November 2009
http://archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=34506

http://www.cakesbysuzy.com
http://cakesbysuzy.blogspot.com

amy

#3 Post by amy »

After a couple of days the pain did go away. Apparently, my bite has shifted and my back molars are hitting strangely. While eating I chomped down too hard and aggravated the tooth. What freaked me out was how the spacer felt like it had shifted.

I now have to make sure I don't clamp my teeth shut, but I'm hoping my bite will be fully corrected by the end of this process.

Jendz

#4 Post by Jendz »

Hi Amy,

I sympathize with you so much, spacers were awful for me and I only had 4- you are dealing with twice the pain, ouch!! I found that warm salt water rinses, Advil, and Amosan (made by Oral B) were helpful to get through the spacer process. Also soft, crunch-free foods are the most inviting during this time when your teeth are in this state of distress.

How exciting that you will have your braces on soon, once they pop those spacers out and put the molar bands on it such a sense of relief (at least it was for me) that I think you will find the rest of the process not so bad. The salt water rinses, Advil and soft foods will also help you during your first few weeks in braces. This website and message board has been invaluable to me for my research and learning during my braces journey, hopefully you will find it as a great resource for you too. I am happy to share any other information with you also, I don't have all the answers but I am glad to help. :D

Congratulations on starting your journey in braces!!

Jen
Almost 2 1/2 years in full braces, ceramic on top, metal on the bottom. Had 3 teeth pulled, 1 gap closed-2 more to close with springs and bands. Estimated brace removal day about 90 days! (Looking at June 2010)