Hawley and essix retainers Pro's/Con's

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kell

#16 Post by Kell »

Shelby, what else did she have to say about them and how do they look? Do you think you would like the Hawley better than the Essix based on seeing it? I don't know anyone who has either so I can't compare.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

Shelby014

#17 Post by Shelby014 »

OMG she looked so pretty, she was so happy she couldn't stop smiling, and that teeny weeny little wire everyone is so worried about people seeing, you can barely see it, its practically invisible :D. She had pink white and black camoflauge(sp?)on top, and purple with silver streaks on the bottom(both adorable), so she was showing everybody :D. She said that she got both essix and hawley retainers, and she doesn't like the essix!! She said that her teeth couldn't touch together so it felt uncomfortable, and she said that she lisped really bad in that one. I already know my choice of retainer, i'm def. going for the hawley because i just haven't heard enough good reports or essix retainers, they look so fragile, and relapse is more common. Besides you get to pick cute colors for the hawley, so its more personalized you know? Well i'm like soooo happy!!
O.o*Shelby*o.O

braced on:9-29-05
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/ ... /event.png[/img]
[/url]

Kell

#18 Post by Kell »

Thanks for the information. My top braces are supposed to come off in 4 months so I want to think about it before the time comes. I am supposed to get an essix for my top teeth but I think that is just because that is what my ortho gives to adults. I am going to ask for a Hawley because I think I would like the wire better than something completely covering my teeth. That was one of the many reasons I did not even consider invisalign. If I have to wear the thing 24/7 for a year I want to be comfortable. I will go with what he recommends but you never know until you ask. I'm supposed to get a fixed retainer on the lower teeth. I think I will like that okay.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

Evelyn

#19 Post by Evelyn »

Here's another pic of the Hawley being worn:

I don't know about anything first hand, but I'll bet getting my braces off ina couple months and I'm supposed to have a bonded retainer on the bottom and a Hawley on the top

I'm really happy with that combination, and he said that in a couple years we could switch to essix if I really wanted to, but he wanted to go with hawleys first because your able to tweak them and they also keep your bite right whereas essix sometimes don't. I like the customization too, that's somethiing I'm excited about although I'll probably just go with clear with sparkles. I'm so excited, I absolutely cannot wait until retainer day...I don't care how bad everyone says they are, I'm plain sick of braces and ready to move on!

Eve
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

Kell

#20 Post by Kell »

Ooooooo, thanks for posting the picture Eve. I am now positive I want a Hawley for my top teeth if my ortho agrees to it. I'm pretty sure he will, I just haven't asked yet.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

Samantha08

#21 Post by Samantha08 »

I will get the Hawley retainer because I already have a bite plate, which looks just like the Hawley but without the wire in the front. I'm already used to it, its actually comfortable after awhile. I feel weird when I dont sleep in it anymore, lol! Plus, I can talk without a lisp now! That took a little while, but its okay! lol! :) I like my little retainer, and I only have to wear it at night. But I had to wear it constantly for about four months. Its not a big deal, so Im hoping Hawley retainers will be just like that and I'll be able to adjust really quickly.
Estimated Time: 15-18 months

glowstix

#22 Post by glowstix »

Diona wrote:I am getting my braces off in a couple of weeks (woohoo!!! :D ) and I will be getting both essix and hawley retainers. Essix for the day and hawleys for nighttime. While I am really excited about getting my braces off, I am very nervous about not being able to talk properly (especially at work! :? ). But as this is the second time round for me, I will be wearing my braces 24/7 for as long as it takes!

Does anyone know if it is easier to talk in essix's or hawley's? Or is it pretty much the same?
be careful with this. i had both hawleys and essix and they are not the same thing. i think the essix is far superior in terms of retention as it is an exact replica of the teeth as the braces came off. the hawleys on the other hand are an "approximation" of the perfect teeth in my opinion; i.e. less retention.

i say this because when i wore the essix, my teeth were held in one position, then at night when i put on the hawleys', my teeth felt different as if both retainers were moving the teeth. i believed that this was preventing my teeth from "settling" in one final position so i eventually chose the essix. i still have the hawleys for emergency though.

i think the only problems with the essix is that my bite is a bit off and that this type of retainer apparently doesn't last as long as the hawleys. i still prefer the essix.

momof2grlz

#23 Post by momof2grlz »

Shelby014 wrote: Does anyone know where you can find retainers designs for hawley's? I was just wondering if certain orthos let you pick from a bunch of designs or if your selection is limited. Shelby
Check out myretainer.com. It's Harris Orthodontic Labs website and they have great info on hawley designs and a video on how retainers are made.

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

S_Ranger

#24 Post by S_Ranger »

Oh boy, the essix retainer isn't that great. If you're real self concious about your teeth like I am then don't go down this path. From personal experience the essix worked well for the first month. After that it seemed to loose it's retaining power and my teeth began to get gaps and started relapsing. I didn't get any speech problem but spit did go into this and it made my teeth look like there was bubbles on it. It sounds gross but I always sucked the spit out because it really did effect the appearance of your teeth. It's really awkward taking it out when chow comes. I just go to the bathtroom, put it in a napkin, then just put it in my pocket. In the end I'd go with the hawley. I depended on the retainer to make my teeth look presentable because with it off, they look completely different.

Jennifer

#25 Post by Jennifer »

I am 47 and will be getting a Hawley retainer for my top on June 7th. I also have a permanent retainer on my bottom teeth.

flotsam

grrrr...essix

#26 Post by flotsam »

I just got my retainers this morning, and while I like the Hawley (bottom), I hate the Essix (top). Hate hate hate, from the first minute. It feels like I'm wearing a sports mouth guard and looks weird and I don't like that my teeth don't touch. I get the feeling it was recommended more for looks than anything else. Has anyone asked for a new retainer for such "frivolous" reasons, or should I just "accidentally" lose it in the trash compactor after dinner tonight? :-) I only have to wear the Essix 24/7 for ten days, but I don't look forward to it at night forever, either. Grrr....

Hello Kitty

#27 Post by Hello Kitty »

I have the Hawley for the top. I just got it today. It's the worst, I tell you! Please tell me I will get used to it. I feel like I'm gagging, and I sound like the little sister (with the headgear) from South Park! I'm afraid to wear it to bed tonight, fearing I'll feel like I can't breathe! Help!
:( :( :(
Braced~ 06/30/04
Removed~05/23/06

jzaboo

#28 Post by jzaboo »

The tech at my ortho is 40 or so, she had to be rebraced at 35 because she had been advised (like most people were back in the day) to wear the retainer for a year, then get rid of it. She said she had a Hawley initially, but went to an Essix and prefers it. I know when I had Essix-like bleaching teeth molds done, I was supposed to sleep in them, but always took them out in the middle of the night. I think it's just like braces, really. There are personal preferences, and there are some more suitable for your individual situation. I thought I would hate the thought of a permanent retainer, but with all these nightmarish stories, it doesn't sound too bad!

TeenQueen

#29 Post by TeenQueen »

So far I have not had any relapses with the Essix retainer, but I would have been satisfied if my Ortho recommended the Hawley for the top, I just went with what he told me would work best. In fact I am a teeth grinder and the Essix actually helps with grinding, ( I did ask about whether or not I would grind holes in the retainer and he did say there could be a slight chance of that, I guess I will worry about that when the time comes). I guess it comes down to what the Ortho thinks will be the most effective, in terms of looks, I personally think both look great, I like how the Hawley looks with the thin wire and I like how the Essix looks, I have had both, ( I had a hawley when I had braces the first time, this is my second round).