jorx's story::new appointment: nance still in :(

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dojo

#16 Post by dojo »

Welcome to the braced group .. so nice to hear you didn't let fear keep you away from maybe the best thing you did for yourself in a long time. The good thing as I see it is that you have beautiful teeth (those big and nice incisors will look awesome once aligned). You have no idea how well your mouth will look and of course .. you'll also feel better with a healthy bite.

Best of luck with your journey and we're waiting for pics with the braces on :)
Orthodontics patient from 2007 to 2010.
Orthodontic Braces

jorx

#17 Post by jorx »

thank you everybody! you are so nice... I hope it will get better, maybe I am complaining too much: nobody had promised me it would be pain-free!

jorx

#18 Post by jorx »

Oh, I forgot explaining the def. plan:

-Approx. 24 months of treatment.
-Full braces (ceramic) + TPA + Lingual arch
-Inter-arch Elastics (later)

She put me the bands, the lingual arch and the TPA for first, and two weeks later the braces came on. She said that it was to avoid too much discomfort.

Initially I was supposed to get only upper braces for several months in order to open my bite, but the ortho decided, the B-day, to put me the lowers too bc. they are more crowded, and I may need extractions (hopefully not!) there and the treatment could become longer...so she prefered to start right away with them.

Now my lowers hit my upper front teeth, wich is somewhat annoying, but my main concern now it this horrible TPA... :(
Last edited by jorx on Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

jorx

1st adjustment: Nance button!

#19 Post by jorx »

I have just come back from my first adjustment!

She has changed my arch by a slightly thicker one, and the TPA by a Nance button, not only for the discomfort but especially bc she has said that the nance will provide more support in moving a 1st molar that is 'blocked' inside the line of teeth...

By the moment the nance seems more comfortable than the TPA, but I am experiencing some speech problems that had dissapeared with the TPA. I hope in 2 days I will adapt to it and talk normally! Eating is definetly easier with the nance! :D

She has said that my lowers do not move as fast as they should bc my deep bite pervents them to move freely. However, I have noticed some movement already!

I hope in few day I will have some pics and post them!

jorx

bonding

#20 Post by jorx »

Thanks!

Everything was going ok, the nance is definetly more comfortable than the TPA, at least for me! My tongue is not sore anymore, and food does not get trapped on it... I continue to hear a slight lisp, but everybody tells me that they do not notice it!

But my upper teeth started hitting my lower front brackets, which was a little bit annoying. Finally, on friday, one bracket popped off! I called my ortho, and went to her office. She has put me some red bonding material on my back molars to prevent teeth hit lower brackets and to fasten the opening of my deep deep bite.

This seems ok, but now the feeling is strange, my teeth do not touch, and chewing is almost impossible! How am I supposed to eat? Any advice?

jorx

new appointment: elastics in!

#21 Post by jorx »

Hi everybody,

Things seem to go faster than expected, and yesterday I had an appointment in which my ortho put me some elastics. I'm happy bc that means progress, but my teeth are aching now! I had already adjusted to the nance button and even to eating with the molar buildups (the most difficult part so far) and now a different thing came in!

The elastics feel really strange in my mouth, I can't open it wide and when I yawn they would pop off...After a while my teeth started aching, both bc of the elastics and -I guess- the new wire she put on me.

By the moment I have two elastics, one on each side, from the upper canines to the lower premolars. She is planning to put me more of them later on, I'm not sure I could open the mouth with more elastics in it! I am a little bit worried bc she has mentioned about an elastic to correct my midline that would cross, from left to right in front of my teeth...it seems strange, I had never heard about it. Does anybody have one? And...who cares about the midline besides orthos?!?

jorx

#22 Post by jorx »

Thank you!

Definetly the elastics are making things move! I am already used to them, and now I wear them all the time (at the begining I would take them out often bc of the pain). When I change them my mouth feels 'tight' but it is OK. My bite is opening quite fast, and probably my cross-bite will start moving soon, to. I guess my ortho wants to put more elastics in my mouth for the cross bite issue, I hope it won't be a weird configuration!

jorx

new appointment

#23 Post by jorx »

I had a new appointment on friday: everything seems to be fine. I got my wires changed (now I have really thick wires) and a powerchain on my lowers. It feels tight, but nothing I can't deal with.

My ortho seems to be happy with my progress -I've done a good job in wearing the elastics-. She mentioned the possibility of getting my nance and lingual bar out on the next appointment, or within two appointments. That'd be great! She was planning to add more elastics to work on my crossbite, but by the moment she has decided to stay with the two elastics I've been wearing.

Although I am in pain, and back to the soft food diet, I am happy bc things seem to work!

KateinCO

YAY!

#24 Post by KateinCO »

Hello Jorx -

Glad to hear you are making such great progress!! I hope you will post some update pictures when you have a chance. I am in the same boat as you - my teeth looked straight to everyone, but I had a lot of lower arch crowding, a crossbite and a malocclusion. I have had my braces on for two months and just got elastics in this week. They are really strange ... I was reading your comments about getting them and it all sounded very familiar. I am glad it gets easier. :)

Hope you continue to see good progress ... and that the journey is comfortable!!

Cheers,
Kate

[/url]

jorx

#25 Post by jorx »

Thank you Karen!

As soon as I get a camera I will try to post some new pics. I hope you'll notice the difference!

As for the elastics: you'll get used to them! Actually, even if it sounds strange, I feel weird when I am not wearing them, as if there was something lacking in my mouth.

I've seen yours, and seem pretty similar to mines, although mines go from the upper incisors to the lower premolars, and yours seem to be the other way round. Anyway, I'm sure you'll get used to them pretty soon, just wear them as directed. At the beggining I would take them off pretty often and that made the whole adjustment process longer. Now I wear them always, sometimes I even eat with them on.

platinum

#26 Post by platinum »

I just saw your teeth :)

We have similar problems. I had crossbite, which was fixed when i was a kid with elastic (i did not have braces). I quitted the treatment then and now I am trying to get rid of rest of the problems.

I started wearing elatics about 3 weeks ago.
Actually, even if it sounds strange, I feel weird when I am not wearing them, as if there was something lacking in my mouth.
I agree!
I am a little bit worried bc she has mentioned about an elastic to correct my midline that would cross, from left to right in front of my teeth...it seems strange, I had never heard about it.
My midline is corrected with class two elastics (from lower first molar to upper canine). I wear right side 24/7 and left side only 12 hours. Little bit weird.

good luck!

jorx

more (weird) elastics...and some good news!

#27 Post by jorx »

Hey,

I had another appointment today. New wires and...yes, more elastics! I have one crossing in the front of my mouth for my midline. It looks kind of weird, and I am not looking forward to wear it in public! I have also two elastics -instead of one- on my right side, because of my 'unilateral posterior crossbite'. :P I now have four elastics in my mouth, which makes the whole operation of putting them in kind of complicated...

Everything feels tight now, let's see tomorrow! I got some advil just in case...

I really hate this front elastic, the others are not that bad, but this one is just awful. The few people I've met keep staring into my mouth bc it looks really weird. :x Perhaps I won't make it to wearing it in public. And I am not sure if anybody besides my ortho really cares about my midline (not even me!)

The good news are that my deep bite is almost opened, my lowers keep alinging and that...she told me that I would get my nance removed on my next appointment!! I am really looking forward to that!

jorx

#28 Post by jorx »

New appointment, not so good!

-I got my wires changed, now my teeth hurt like hell and I am back to the soft food diet

-She had told me that she would remove my nance button at this appointment, but apparently she wants it to be there yet for 'a while' (what the hell does that mean?!?)

-I got a new elastics configuration, now I have cross bite elastics that go from outside the lower molar to inside the upper molar on one side and still the old class II on the other side. I told her that I had been breaking lots of elastics and she gave my a new pack of 'stronger' elastics that I guess add up to my overall pain from the adjustment... The midline elastic is still in place. I have been wearing it around 14-16 hours a day and apparently it is still working...