Kim's First Steps at 22-BRACES OFF!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

swiss1

#121 Post by swiss1 »

Hi Belimkry!

Sorry to join you so late into your journey, I joined this site not long ago and there is so much stuff here :shock: - am taking ages just reading everything!

Like so many others have said before me, I've been really inspired by your journey - not just your awesome attitude in spite of all those rude ortho assistants :evil: , but also (and again lots of people have also mentioned this), my case is very similar to yours. I have the exact same tooth that is pushed back (same side) - in my case I'm fairly sure it's due to me sucking my thumb when I was little, as it is also the side where I have crossbite....any other previous thumbsuckers out there? With so many of us with that pushed back incisor, there must be a common factor somewhere!!

Anyway, your progress is really encouraging :-* , which gives me hope that when i start treatment (I hope in the next 2-3 months), I will get movement too - that would be so cool. Hope you're settling back into canadian life - keep the progress reports coming! :-1

belmikry

#122 Post by belmikry »

kiwi: oh I agree! here's to hoping that they will be polite, if not- I will definately have a sit down this time- I hate being the complainer- but honestly, sometimes it does need to be done.

swiss1: welcome to the forum! :) i'm starting to wonder how common this problem is, since someone i work with has it too! :) :lol: but I wasn't a thumbsucker, I know for a fact because my sister was and they watched me to make sure I didn't develop the nasty "habit" ;) ... I was told alot of it coems from grinding in your sleep- something I definately did/DO :oops: here's to blue cement lifters stopping that! :lol:
and it's not too late- i'm not even half way there! ;) I love hearing from other members- hopefully I can help you out with any problems you face- let me know if you need anything ;) :)...

bracedagain: thanks for the encouragement! I will try really hard to tell them whats on my mind next time- it's difficult when I'm used to being the complaint-taker [customer service :P] and then being placed in the other seat :roll:
Braces off- 12 months 1 week in braces- estimate 18-21 months!
First time in braces- Damon 3's- 01-30-06 - 02-09-2007 hawley clear retainer on top, permenant retainer on bottom

cmm1280

#123 Post by cmm1280 »

Congrats on taking the plunge BelMikry! It's funny - I think we have the same thoughts - I didn't think my teeth were that bad....that is UNTIL I saw the up close pictures of my teeth. That was the decision maker for me. My braces will be going on Oct 20th and I can't wait.

Wishing you the best! :D
Carla

belmikry

#124 Post by belmikry »

Fourth adjustment recap

...eventfull day! :)

first off, may I say I finally got hooked up with a fantastic assistant- her name was Mary- and even though she was still working on another patient when I came to sit down, she looked up- got up and shook my hand and introduced herself- this made my day. :D finally an assistant who hasn't ignored me, acted rude or assumed I was 12 :P....

she kept talking to me the whole time, was super polite and honestly was listening to my concerns and gabbing nature- I hope I can request her next time :lol:

so at first, she clipped the excess wire on my right top side [thank GOD!] and said that maybe the doc could take out my last lifter- since apparently he doesn't use them, also being that my other one is non existant-

the doc came over- noticed my top wire's torque was misaligned and place a new wire on instead! I though I wasn't due for one until next appt- but I'm not complaining! [well- I probably will later when i try to eat- lol] so now I have a hugggge torque stainless steel wire- which I could honestly feel it's mammoth size when he tried to get the sucker in [ieee o_o]... and he left the bottoms alone- since the were doing fine as per schedule.

I got my first elastic today! o_o.... ouch is all I'm going to say :P...

basically I was asking about my bite- since I've noticed my right top side moving ever so off alignment to make way for the incisor and canine to shift over... he basically ssat down and told me all of the options, and since my teeth do not need extractions or my wisdoms, he said surgery isn't the best option- so elastics it is! apparently I will never have a perfect alignment, but ironically he said its my bottom teeth out of whack, not my top! :O ... :shock:
I always thought it was my top! :lol:
so I'm not too worried- we can try as much as we can with elastics, and he said there is no reason to 'keep me around forever' just to try and fix 2 mm - I agreed :P

Now- ever since my first adjustment- all I ever hear about is how fast my teeth has moved- today was no exception... he started discussing elastics as a final option for tweeking [yes- that lovely word! tweeking!]
.. I even got bold enough to ask how much longer for my treatment!!! :o
apparently depending on "how far I want to go" he says at maximum another six months!!! yahooo! [confetti thrown]

this means i'm a month OVER my treatment time! here here for being "over the hump!" :lol:

so alas- I know have a hook attached directly to my wire in between my right incisor and canine, which the elastic is connected to, and below is attached to a hook which was originally placed on my bottom molar [the second from the back- loooooong stretch!] and he said the more I wear it, the better my alignment will get [ignore that i'm eating a plate of grilled zucchinni with parmesan right now so i took it out!] but I will wear it at night and when I'm not eating- promise! :) he said he understands not wearing it at work, although I probably still will some days :P ...

so alas- great day! I even finally got my quote for the financial aspect- when I left my original ortho, I was rembursed 2500 from my original full payment of 5000- and my new ortho said that 2000 from that [Canadian to boot!] was more than enough for the rest of my treatment! :)

so- great day- lol... now I just need to go to work... :roll:

ps: pictures are coming! promise! :) I will be in CO on tuesday- so I will be able to get pics up then with my friends camera ;)

ps: I added a new ticker- one for my approx braces off day! :lol: this time, I put my turtle in a winter landscape, since it will be in winter when I see my teeth! :) yippiiiee! :)
First time in braces- Damon 3's- 01-30-06 - 02-09-2007 hawley clear retainer on top, permenant retainer on bottom

nandini

congratulations

#125 Post by nandini »

Wow! Only 6 months left and you just started 6 months ago? That's wonderful! I thought it took at least 18 months (that's what they've given me 18 - 20 months). If I stay on schedule I'll have them off in 20 months for my 40th - which would be a wonderful birthday gift :-)

Post those pics soon - I love all your progress reports and your great attitude !!!

belmikry

#126 Post by belmikry »

thanks for commenting nandini :)

wsell, in 3 days it will be 7 months- but yes, I was originally given the time of 18-21 months- so I guess that means I have dropped my time by 6-8 months of treatment! :) [estatic] but in all seriousness, I will keep them on as long as I need to make sure I get the proper treatment necessary- no getting impatient- at least I'll try ;)

that imte can always be delayed for whatever reasons- so I'm trying to not get tooo excited- but I am excited that I can at least see the horizon now, before I was much too afraid to ask! :wink:

and congrats on such a wonderful gift to give yourself for your 40th! :)

mine was a 21st birthday present to myself in a sense- so glad to have done it! :)

belmikry

#127 Post by belmikry »

thanks kiwi~ :)

yeah- he seemed very ho=hum about how much i use them, but did mention "the more i use it, the quicker it'll come!" so alas- I promise to wear it as much as possible- although I have to shout out orders at work- hopefully it doesn't hurt too much :( ....

really, even when you're eating? my little brochure on elastics 101 says to "never wear them eating" I wonder if its a specific for type 3's then? i'm curious now :)

jennandtonic

#128 Post by jennandtonic »

What a great appointment! And I would say the news and treatment you got at this appointment definitely makes up for your bad experiences before, wouldn't you? :lol:

That's amazing, only approximately six more months! That must be a great feeling, belmikry. And we will look forward to those pictures.

florencegal

#129 Post by florencegal »

congrats belmikry on such a great appointment jam-packed full of good news! Wow - you'll really be done in 6 months? That's fantastic - even though you've been sooo positive about your treatment all the way through, no doubt you'll be glad nevertheless to go naked! Feeling your joy right now :-*

At my first consultation with the ortho she was also very honest that she didn't think I'd get the two arches perfectly aligned - I really appreciated her being straight with me and didn't think it was too much of a big deal. After all, what's a little 1 or 2mm misalignment when the rest of your smile is perfect?!

Can't wait to see the progress pics - you keep us all on the edge of our seats!

belmikry

#130 Post by belmikry »

man- anyone have hints on elastics and numbing the pain [sigh]

apparently I woke up in the middle of the night and took mine off! [ :shock: ] without even realizing it- because it sure wasn't in my mouth in the morning- and it was definately on my bathroom sink :P...

I'm so glad I didn't get my bottom wire changed- because today is a pretty sore day on my tops- especially my incisor and canine- where the elastic was :( ... hopefully I wont have to talk too much at work today [sigh] ....

I got my friend to take some pictures- hopefully she'll send them to me tomorrow :)

todddutton

#131 Post by todddutton »

Kim.

I found that when I had the rubber bands at first, the teeth where the bands were attached hurt quite a bit. I would usually drink something cold. That would release some of the pressure. But the pain only lasted a couple of days. I will say the pain comes back time to time.

I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures. Good luck with your rubber bands.

Best, TD

hannah164

#132 Post by hannah164 »

Belmikry!

I totally feel your pain with the rubber bands! I just got mine yesterday! I have one on the right side running across 3 teeth on the top and 2 on the bottom! Its so hard to open my mouth with it! It hurts so bad! I took mine off at 7am when I went to the bathroom although I don't remember doing it! :lol: I've found it really hard to talk with it and I love to talk! I have to go volunteer at the hospital tonight and I'm kind of worried about wearing it!

Congratulations on the great news that you only have less than 6 months to go! Totally jealous! I don't think my ortho even plans to guess when I'll finally be done! :roll: Can't wait to see some pics!

Good luck and hope we both adjust to our elastics soon!

~hAnnah

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05

belmikry

#133 Post by belmikry »

thanks Todd and Hannah- I can't believe I took them out without knowing! :shock: I feel so bad! o_0...

it's somewhat better today- i', just so glad I didn't change my bottom wire too :( .. ouch...

I think something nice and soft tonight for supper ^_^' ....

swiss1

#134 Post by swiss1 »

That's fantastic news Kim! Let the countdown begin!! +\+

belmikry

#135 Post by belmikry »

ok- finally was able to take pictures! :D

so this is officially my 7 month comparison shots! [again, so sorry for the massive 3 month delay :P ] ...

JAN 30th 2006

TODAY: August 30/2006

not bad huh? :D

Image Image

Image Image

may I say I am throughoutly impressed by my movement- although I find the pictures misleading! :P ... I can feel the imperfections in my mouth, but when I look at the pictures- I don't see them :roll:

Image Image

note the right side- alignment still off- but getting better in comparison to the pic on the right- from May 2006.... below is the Jan 2006 initials

...you may also the pics of the new elastic!

pic of may 2006- the gap is closing- almost :) also, notice the other hooks on my last bracket- I wonder if i'll have to use those too one day? o_0... no wonder my mouth gets sore there :P

I've also noticed less of an inwards 'bend' on the top right side wire- it's hard to tell in these pics, but maybe that means my overbite is working it's way out :)
Last edited by belmikry on Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.