Foods You Miss

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jennandtonic

Foods You Miss

#1 Post by jennandtonic »

I've been being a good girl and haven't had anything on the 'no no' list, even though I'm sorely tempted. And some of it I miss...a lot!

Corn on the cob used to be one of my favorite foods. Chips, I loooved chips! Pretzels were high on the list as well. Not to mention raw carrots, raw celery, hard candies, pizza crusts...

I'm planning a reaallly good meal for when I get these things off.

What are some of the foods you miss?

jcdamon3

#2 Post by jcdamon3 »

Corn on the cob, Apples (biting right into it without cutting it up), Munching on carrots and nuts without having to be real careful.

But Corn on the Cob, mostly, since I eat almost everything else.

Popcorn and pretzels you can actually suck on and sort of get the flavor out. I am still trying to avoid pretzels and cornchips but when I am feeling brave and confident I go ahead and eat them.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

calypsojunky

mmmm...

#3 Post by calypsojunky »

Chomping down on one of those werthers original hardcandies.
MMmmmm....
sourpatch kids.
definitely corn on the cob, scarfing down a slice of pizza instead of biting gingerly into it.

juf_84

#4 Post by juf_84 »

I still eat chips although I take it slowly and let them soften in my mouth first.

I really miss nuts, fantales, popcorn, jellybeans and well-done steak. I also miss crunching ice- which I actually did over the weekend, after sitting there with my drink saying "don't crunch the ice, don't crunch the ice". I didn't break anything!

As for corn on the cob... well I always cut it off with a knife before! I'm terrible at eating corn on the cob!

I am still indulging in soft drink every so often (I was told it was a once a week treat) but I don't miss it.
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

Lisa65

#5 Post by Lisa65 »

Apples. I love them and used to eat 3 or 4 a day. I've tried cutting them up but the pleasure just isn't there so I've more or less given them up.
There's nothing like crunching into a crispy juicy apple :cry:

juf_84

#6 Post by juf_84 »

Actually, I really miss fruit as well! I've had one apple since getting braced :-( a :banana: banana :banana: would be perfect but at $14 a kilo at the moment a bit out of my price range :cry:
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

florencegal

#7 Post by florencegal »

I'm not braced quite yet but I know one thing I'll miss hugely will be biting into a great big crusty baguette/ciabatta sandwich with parma ham, rocket and other assorted goodies. Man, that can be tough on the teeth even without braces - but so worth it :wink:

But to look on the bright side, bring on the Innocent smoothies, fun soups, yoghurt (no bits :FeelSick: ) and pleeeeeenty of ice cream! Oh, and the excuse to only eat the finest tenderest fillet steak money can buy cooked rare - YUM! :HugeGrin:

p.s. Do bananas truly cost $14/kilo round your way juf_84?? I don't know what the exchange rate is exactly but that sounds extortionate! Thought the UK was pricey.... I feel your pain and banana cravings right now, they should be handed out for free anyway they're so good for you!

x

Samantha08

#8 Post by Samantha08 »

LOL I still eat whatever I want to, and the ortho says my teeth look fabulous haha! :twisted: Seriously though, if you are careful you should be able to eat whatever you want. I usually cut my corn off the cob though, thats a tough one! But I havent broken a bracket or anything in 13 3/4 months, so I guess it's alright.
Estimated Time: 15-18 months

sweetchicken2009

#9 Post by sweetchicken2009 »

I miss popcorn A LOT! I live in a dorm so it constantly smells like it and its horrible. I'm just sitting there dreaming about it.

alexa

#10 Post by alexa »

I eat everything I want to off of the no-no list. The only thing I miss is biting directly into apples....
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

lionfish

#11 Post by lionfish »

Reading all this is making me hungry!

juf_84

#12 Post by juf_84 »

florencgal, yes, they really are $14 a kilo! We had a cyclone up north earlier this year or late last year (not quite sure when) and that destroyed most of our crops. Hopefully they will start to come back down in price soon. Normally we pay about $1.50! I just can't believe it happened when I really "need" bananas- they are the perfect brace food!

Mmmm this thread is making me hungry too! Sweetchicken, like you, so many people in my college have popcorn all the time and the smell drives me mad!
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

NervousNelly

Foods I miss the most

#13 Post by NervousNelly »

I have only had my braces for three weeks today. I really miss bagles and raw carrots. I don't eat meat so that's not a problem. The sensitivity is pretty much gone so I can eat salad again and my Japanese hibachi vegys. Also, I'm still an oreo dunker! YUM! :D

jennielee81

#14 Post by jennielee81 »

Peanut M&Ms
Hershey's with almonds
Toffee

( I sense a theme) :roll:
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

tokidoki

#15 Post by tokidoki »

Corn on the Cob (unbearable heebie jeebies from getting corn all over the front of my teeth)

Really moist white bread

Trail mix on the go is do-able, but "enjoying" it hours after the fact is crasty.