Little Extras

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

EmbraceMe

Little Extras

#1 Post by EmbraceMe »

I am noticing that my ortho office does little extra niceties, such as sending personalized little notes to you through the mail after each visit. Depending on which assistant I saw that day, they follow up by writing a little note to you and throwing in personal things about your visit or general conversation to show you they are listening and care. I find this to be rare and so very nice.

We also have free reign of all the little dental doodads that you may need at your disposal: a drawer full of mouth rinse, toothbrushes, wax, floss, coupons, etc.

Plus I NEVER have to wait! I go, check in by putting my finger on some reader thing, and it signals I have arrived. Almost immediately they come and get you! Wonderful!

What if anything does your ortho office provide that makes you feel they are going above and beyond just treating you?

allisun

#2 Post by allisun »

Wow, that sounds soooo nice! So far, my office doesn't do anything like that. They are really good about explaining everything to me very thoroughly, which I appreciate.

Choppers

Re: Little Extras

#3 Post by Choppers »

That is really nice! I don't get that at my orthodontist! The best thing I have gotten is a goody bag filled with dental wax, toothbrush, etc... but that's standard.

gunter8888

#4 Post by gunter8888 »

I get more elastics anytime I run out! :? Does that count? Hehehe
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

SandraJones

#5 Post by SandraJones »

I don't know if this is common, but my orthodontist (the orthodontist herself, not an assistant) CALLED ME in the evening the day my braces were installed to make sure everything was OK. I was really impressed with that.
Nov 1960: born
1973 ?: palate expander
1973-1977: braces
Aug 1981: Le Fort I, posterior impaction to correct anterior open bite and class II malocclusion
Aug 2007: braces again to correct various alignment issues and class II malocclusion

theprettyone

#6 Post by theprettyone »

I don't have my braces (linguals) on yet but my ortho has called me from his home on the weekends a few times to go over things I needed clarified. He also visited one of his patients in the hospital to adjust her braces because she was on bedrest and couldn't get to him! I get a really good vibe from him and his staff. He lets you follow him along the whole process and doesn't make you sit in the waiting room. I was encouraged to watch as my molds were made and sanded down. His office is very inviting and quaint and he's very down to earth, not holier than thou like I thought he might be being in a very exclusive area of NYC.

SnowSara

#7 Post by SnowSara »

I, too, like how "quaint" and down to earth my office is, yet very cutting edge. I get emails reminding me of appointments and an online webpage where I can track my billing and past appointments. I feel like I am so special while I am there! My ortho is kind and softspoken, yet confident and cunning. His assistants are smart and fun to talk to, his very sweet wife works there too, and helps patients with billing and questions. I think I will miss them when I am done with treatment! I will have to be sure to stay in touch ;)

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

verticaltrailmix

#8 Post by verticaltrailmix »

Wow, a finger reader? goodness, I feel like a hick! :crazy: Our ortho's around here JUST got running water! :roll: haha j/k

We are a pretty tiny town though, so my ortho office is EXTREMELY personable. My ortho called me the day after he put my braces on to make sure I was okay. He sounded so sincere on the phone! He said he felt really bad that he "hurt" me a litlte while slenderizing. They're just super duper sweet, and will do anything to accomidate. They've given me their home numbers and everything. And have gone FAR beyond the call of duty, and even helped my family and I out with some Lupus-related problems recently. I just love how REAL and down-to-earth they are. :BigGrin: Shoot, I just plain love em. :BigGrin: lol They even manage to stay up to date with my personal life... always asking about the boyfriends etc... aaaah... good to know there ARE some good people left in the world :dance: :thumbsup:

SandraJones

#9 Post by SandraJones »

Hey prettyone, your orthodontist reminds me of my plastic surgeon ... he's one of the top docs in Chicago and is in a high rent area of the downtown, has very tony clientele (I'm firmly middle class), and yet the guy is as nice as could be and explains everything.

Btw, I love saying I have a plastic surgeon, even though to date I have only had him do minor in office procedures (e.g., mole removals, Botox). No facelifts yet but I won't hesitate to go to him for that when I feel it's time. :-)
Nov 1960: born
1973 ?: palate expander
1973-1977: braces
Aug 1981: Le Fort I, posterior impaction to correct anterior open bite and class II malocclusion
Aug 2007: braces again to correct various alignment issues and class II malocclusion

Miss Smiley

#10 Post by Miss Smiley »

Hahaha the most I get from mine is a good chuckle with all of the girls when I go in. They all come around to see what's going on in my mouth. I have the doctor's cell phone number which I have never used. We have those thumbprint scanner things too so we don't have to go to the front desk. I guess I call them a lot because now when I call in with a problem, they already know it's me. Oh and the office has a BIG wax case dispenser with colored/flavored waxes and orthosil. I've learned just to take wax from there and not feel bad because I go through it so fast. I usually end up eating it not losing it.
Last edited by Miss Smiley on Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

theprettyone

#11 Post by theprettyone »

SandraJones wrote:Hey prettyone, your orthodontist reminds me of my plastic surgeon ... he's one of the top docs in Chicago and is in a high rent area of the downtown, has very tony clientele (I'm firmly middle class), and yet the guy is as nice as could be and explains everything.

Btw, I love saying I have a plastic surgeon, even though to date I have only had him do minor in office procedures (e.g., mole removals, Botox). No facelifts yet but I won't hesitate to go to him for that when I feel it's time. :-)
Haha, I know what you mean. I usually say my "Cosmetic Dentist" when referring to him to friends, instead of my Orthodontist. I feel like I am 16 when I call him my orthodontist :lol:

EmbraceMe

#12 Post by EmbraceMe »

Sounds to me like we have some pretty awesome orthodontists and staff! I love reading your stories and it is so nice knowing that you can tell who truly loves what they do and how they make their patients feel!

Sparrow76

#13 Post by Sparrow76 »

You guys are lucky! Sometimes I feel like the "treatment coordinator" at my ortho's job is to reduce contact between me and my ortho! It's a struggle to get a direct answer from the ortho when I have a question over the phone -- is that normal?

verticaltrailmix

#14 Post by verticaltrailmix »

yikes :? I would go nuts if I couldn't get a straight answer about ortho stuff from the guy DOING it! :shock: "I" don't think it's normal... :?

wired after 50

#15 Post by wired after 50 »

My ortho is good but I do not get the personal attention some of you are getting. The treatment room looks like an assembly line with all the assistants tooling around changing wires and figuring what size bands go around a gold crown, etc. Then they yell ready to bond, check,etc and he comes over and does his thing. It works like a well oiled machine.

If I ask for wax or floss threaders they always give them to me. I have been extremely happy with the results to date so I would not change. But I do wish he would spend a little more time just kind of giving me an idea what is next. When I ask he does go into detail.