Really miss chewing gum & Diet Coke!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ricardo2

Really miss chewing gum & Diet Coke!!

#1 Post by ricardo2 »

HI Everyone,

I just wanted to ask whether chewing gum and drinking Diet Coke is really not a good idea with braces? :roll:

I used to chew sugar-free gum all the time before my braces, plus I would have a Diet Coke if I ever went out, but my ortho has said no, plus all the leaflets say the same. I know the gum would get caught up in the braces and risk breaking them, but why are drinks such an issue? Especially sugar-free ones?

I miss the chewing gum.... and although I drink water anyway everyday, it's not very exciting if I go out!

Does anyone else miss these sort of things and does everyone on this board just drink water??? :shock: Surely not!!

Thanks

LUCY xxx

alexa

#2 Post by alexa »

I don't chew gum, as that really will get caught up in everything...

...but....

...I drink Diet Pepsi everyday. I couldn't stop...I'm an addict. :shock:

It's probably not good for you, but my ortho did tell me that if I was going to drink carbonated beverages despite what I'm told, I should use a straw, so it doesn't get on the teeth as much.

Alexa
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

BrandiJeane

#3 Post by BrandiJeane »

I dont chew gum anymore as much as I miss it.

BUT....... Im still drinking my Mt Dew and coffee. I just cant bring myself to stop! :wink:
Brandi- 20

Started my braces journey 5/05!

Evelyn

#4 Post by Evelyn »

psssst....little secret of mine, I've chewed gum all three years I've had braces and I've been fine! Never broken anything! I've also drank soda as well...I try to keep that to a minimum but sometimes you just really need a coke.

If you're worried about the gum sticking to the brackets, (which I've never had happen, think about it, the brackets are wet as are your teeth and gums, so the gum wouldn't stick. Does it stick to your teeth? Nope, your gums? Nope. Then why should it stick to your braces? It doesn't....) then you can try the Freedent brand gum, it's meant for people with braces so it shouldn't stick.

Just make sure, ABSOLUTE SURE, that you brush your teeth really well after chewing gum to make sure it's not stuck in any nooks and crannies that will give you cavities, and after you drink soda swish with water then brush about a half hour after. In my experience, it's okay to break the no-gum and no-soda rules, but if you do then it's absolutely necessary to make sure you are really scouring your teeth at the end of the day with a toothbrush.

Eve
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

Stellar

#5 Post by Stellar »

I'm a newbie, could you explain what's wrong with carbonated beverages. I thought if they were diet it would be OK?? :?
Spacers: Aug. 22, 2005
1 Wisdom Extraction: Aug. 27, 2005
Braced: Sept. 8, 2005
4 First Bicuspids Extraction: Sept. 9, 2005

mtbrncofn

#6 Post by mtbrncofn »

I was feeling your pain too a couple of months ago with the gum thing. Then I posted a similar thread and others here said they had chewed gum with no problems. So I gave it a try and had no problems. I've always chewed sugar free gum, so I wasn't worried about that part...it was the sticking.

I chewed the same ol Extra that I've always chewed and had nary a problem. Chew and be happy! Plus it feels kinda weird to chew gum with braces on, so it's nifty. :)
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

swellen

#7 Post by swellen »

I chewed gum (sugar free, since I am Cavity Queen anyway) the whole time I had braces. It actually helped relieve pain after adjustments. It would occasionally get looped around a hook or something but never actually stuck to my brackets.

As for diet soft drink (soda), I'm not sure why it's a no-no. I suspect it's to do with the chemicals but... not sure. I drank it fairly regularly with no ill effects, but then again I only wore braces for six months.

johnnys_angel

#8 Post by johnnys_angel »

My friend's little brother put her retainer in a class of soda once to see what would happen (she thought she had lost it) overnight, and it ended up dissolving! I honestly never thought that was possible but I guess it is! Another reason for the 'no soda' rule is it sometimes can stain your teeth not underneath the glue/brackets.....But I still drank soda sometimes with my braces and I am fine.
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

HollyDontSpend

Sneaky

#9 Post by HollyDontSpend »

I haven't chewed gum but I had a scary accidental caramel incident. My friends used to chew gum when they had braces in high school. I'm just not much of a gum chewer. I do, however, really miss 100 Grands. Yum!
I was drinking Diet Coke the day my braces were put on. I cannot break the habit. I know the carbonation does nothing great for your teeth, and with braces, it may make things worse. I brush well and haven't had any cavities yet.
Damon 2's for 18 months, removed 11/03/05

caryca

#10 Post by caryca »

My ortho said to me that coke is ok, unless I do something afterwardes (I guess brush :lol: ) about gum... I do not remember, as an adult we kind of concentrated on wine and coffee, but I chew a couple of times- no problems :D acctually it relives the pain after adjustment. Any way I was never a great gum chewer therefore I think (like with all things) everything in moderation should be ok. I just wander how it is when you do baloons (I am not sure how you guys call it- the blown part of gum :wink: )
6/4/2005: 2nd premolar extracted+ spacers in
6/13/2005: clear braces: top and bottom
next 'date' on 18th Nov. ...and the bottoms might be off then?!:-) top will stay until Dec. before xmas.

Attagirl2

#11 Post by Attagirl2 »

Hi, my ortho said no gum - bad for my TMJ. As for soda, he said it was bad for my teeth, but the assistant said at my bracing, that an occastional soda was ok. (I make it diet Pepsi, when I do indulge) and then rinse my teeth.
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

Llamaland

#12 Post by Llamaland »

I was given gum to chew by my ortho (suger-free ofcourse) he said chew it to relieve pain after i got my braces on. If it's the suger free kind i dont think it sticks as much as the sugary ones. With the carbonated drinks i was told not to drink them also to avoid full strength juices. But i live of juice so i was like screw that and with the soft drinks i just can't help myself sometimes i am a self confessed coke addict! (Coca-cola) But not everyday no way in hell my mum goes crazy at me if i even have one every once and a while.

Llamaland

#13 Post by Llamaland »

SUGAR lol sorry bout the spelling i am half asleep!!

geekgirl

#14 Post by geekgirl »

I too am a self confessed coke (cola) addcit. I got hooked while in university, and haven't been able to kick it (not that i've really tried). I can easily go thru a 6 pack a day. I did manage to switch to diet with lime complimented with the odd C2, but that's as far as I can go. When i do get my braces, i'm sure the first thing i'll be grabbing for is a coke (for comfort!) and no ortho is gonna be able to break me of it - sorry! :) I
Waiting for life to settle down a bit before committing to 3 years of braces, lower jaw surgery, crowns and some whitening.

Nikkiekoala

#15 Post by Nikkiekoala »

I am a Pepsi addict and constant gum chewer. I still drink pepsi with my braces but use a straw and rinse after. I am so limited on what I can eat I will be darned if I am going to be cut off from my pepsi too! As for gum, I can't even get my back teeth to touch so gum is pointless but once my teeth touch in the back again I am gum bound. Sugar free of course. I do follow all the other rules about ice, chips, nuts, popcorn (ouch I miss popcorn) and so on.

Braced Aug. 11th 2005
Damon 3's
Crowding
Crossbite
**My Website: http://nikkiekoala.efx2blogs.com/