Worst Adjustment EVER!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

privatepilot

Worst Adjustment EVER!

#1 Post by privatepilot »

I am now 6 months into my 2 1/2 year treatment. Just when I think everything is going well, I have an adjustment from HELL! I went in today and my usual tech is not there-she was not there last time so I think she quit. I had the "head" chick. She called the new tech over so she could undo my "doors" as she had not dealt with them very much. This girl about pulled my freakin teeth out! How come if I can open them with a toothbrush-this expert can't open them. THEN she pops the wire out and CUTS MY FACE!!! I start bleeding so much they have to use gauze to stop it. Thinking that this is all just a mistake from a "newbie" I smile and say it is OK. Then the doctor comes over and starts talking about my implant that I supposed to get Friday(which BTW I took the day off for) She tells ME where she wants the implant! I tell her the doctor is not even putting it in the area she is referring to as it would need a bone graft-GEEEZ! She then tells me it has to be postponed again(time #2) until she can work it in so the surgeon can come to her office to do it, GEEEZZZZZZ!
Then "head" tech leaves me to scrap off cement of another patient-I am left with a Donald Duck thing in my mouth holding it open-GEEZZZ. The she comes back and proceeds to "hold the Donald Duck thing with her hand while looking away-this drives it into my gum until my eyes water and I am wanting to punch her lites out! I finally reach up and grab it and she asks if I am OK. I want to say "F**** NO! She finally attaches the new bracket and I leave 1 1/2 hours later with scabs on the sides of my mouth form the Donald Duck thing. I just needed to VENT!!!! I just wanted to say WHAT THE F*** ARE YOU PEOPLE DOING TO ME!!!!! I stopped on t :shock: he way home to get a bottle of rum and my freakin teeth hurt. Thanks anyone for listening
It's all about ME!

Braces went on 8/25/05. Div II whatever that means!!

http://www.TickerFactory.com/

Flora2006

#2 Post by Flora2006 »

I am so sorry to hear you had such a bad adjustment. Are they often like that?

I hope you feel better real soon and the pain goes away. Hang in there

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Chris

#3 Post by Chris »

Once I had a dental assistant hit me in the face with that xray machine that does panoramics...needless to say, she almost knocked my teeth out. Of course, then I wouldn't have needed braces. :lol:
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

momof2grlz

#4 Post by momof2grlz »

:shock: Wow. I've had some tough adjustments, but I think yours trumps all mine. Hope you heal quickly.

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

alexa

#5 Post by alexa »

That is awful! :(

I know all about miserable adjustments, as my ortho's staff is part of the royal family of oral misery, but I think your's topped mine. :shock:

Hope things improve in the future!

--alexa
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

ingyandbert

#6 Post by ingyandbert »

I would call the ortho's office and tell them to put a note in their records to not schedule you with that person again in the future. Seriously!

Brooke

#7 Post by Brooke »

Hey there! I am familiar with the "bad" adjustments, thats for sure. I had a new tech put in my second set of bands, and holy moly did it hurt. She pushed and pulled on my teeth so hard, I could swear she either caused permanent damage, or they were about ready to pop out! I hope your next adjustment goes better :cry:
*Usually the longer roads lead to more rewarding endings*

Braced~ 10/11/04
Braces come off May 2, 2006!!!!! :)
Hawley Retainer full time!

Betty Bat

#8 Post by Betty Bat »

I'll offer my sympathies also, but I have a question. Sorry to bother you at a bad time.

At my last adjustment (last week), the ortho assistant couldn't get some of the Damon doors open and then couldn't get them shut. The ortho had to shut some of them. Since the assistant and the ortho were pushing pretty hard on the brackets - and on my jaw, I would classify it as my worst adjustment to date, also.

My question is - how do you get your Damon doors open? Does it just happen while you are brushing or are you doing something specific? I'd really like to make sure that they won't stick next time. I'm not sure how much harder they could push on them!

jcdamon3

#9 Post by jcdamon3 »

Hi Betty Bat,

I have not had any trouble with my "doors". But you might want to check out this post

viewtopic.php?t=6812&highlight=

I know attagirl2 has had a lot of trouble with hers. You may want to try pm'ing her. Brushing with Vinegar has been mentioned but that sounds simply disgusting to me.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

NotBob1

#10 Post by NotBob1 »

You ABSOLUTELY need to have a sit down discussion with the Orthodontist about this. One of those things happening, no biggie. Two.....well, everbody is off sometimes. But all of that! No way. I would be FLAMING!

You need to do it for the others that are to follow, not just for you.
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

Marzipan

#11 Post by Marzipan »

That scenario is awful and not excusable. I agree with the person above who says to call the office and tell them not to schedule that tech to work on you again.

I'm a big advocate of saying upfront how I feel about things. When medical/dental/ortho personnel come at me with needles, pliars, etc., I usually start by saying, "Tell me what you are going to do." I might also say, "Warn me when you are getting a needle out, because I'm going to close my eyes." Or "How long will the lip spreaders be on?" or "Will I be able to swallow while it's in my mouth?" I always say it nicely and have had good results. I'm an adult and I have a right to know and to be fully involved in all medical/dental procedures being done to me.

We all make errors at work, but when you are in charge of handling sharp or unpleasant objects around patients, I believe you need to be alert and careful at all times.

I also don't hesitate to express discomfort so they will know it's causing pain. Sometimes all you can do is grunt, of course, and I don't hold off.

This method may make them think I'm a wimp. I don't really care, so long as they are careful.

privatepilot

#12 Post by privatepilot »

Thanks for all your support! I am going to have a talk with the ortho this week. I am going to assert myself as an adult and ask the next time "what are you going to do?" I guess I am mad at myself for not speaking up then. As far the door opening question, sometimes when I brush I feel the door open and I just use the brush to push it down until it clicks. If I can do it so easy-why can't that chick? I called the oral surgeon this AM and told them if they can't do my implants like we scheduled I am going to be really honked off-guess what? They will be on this week!!!
It's all about ME!

Braces went on 8/25/05. Div II whatever that means!!

http://www.TickerFactory.com/

Leslie022

#13 Post by Leslie022 »

That's great news! Just goes to show what speaking up will do for you! I need to follow your lead. I tend to be a passive person and just go with the flow...
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

Betty Bat

#14 Post by Betty Bat »

JCDamon3,
Thanks for your response and I'll follow up on it. I had read the post about brushing with vinegar, and I was hoping that there might be some alternative!

ingyandbert

#15 Post by ingyandbert »

Marzipan wrote:That scenario is awful and not excusable. I agree with the person above who says to call the office and tell them not to schedule that tech to work on you again.

I'm a big advocate of saying upfront how I feel about things. When medical/dental/ortho personnel come at me with needles, pliars, etc., I usually start by saying, "Tell me what you are going to do." I might also say, "Warn me when you are getting a needle out, because I'm going to close my eyes." Or "How long will the lip spreaders be on?" or "Will I be able to swallow while it's in my mouth?" I always say it nicely and have had good results. I'm an adult and I have a right to know and to be fully involved in all medical/dental procedures being done to me.
Marzipan, that was me you agreed with and now I'm going to agree with you. I ALWAYS ask questions of my medical/dental providers and ask them to tell me in detail what is going to occur. The reason many of them don't offer up the details without being asked is because some patients are squeamish and don't want to know. I'm just the opposite; I want to know everything. Once they realize that, they are happy to share information. My approach to my medical/dental care is that as a patient I am an EQUAL partner with the practitioners and have a right to know the details of my treatment and to voice my opinion or feelings on what is going to happen. I definitely feel that I get better care by being more involved in my treatment than if I simply rolled over and let them do whatever they want. There have been times when my questions have led my practitioners to think further about some issue and come to a better conclusion or solution than they had before I questioned it. My advice is don't just be a body in a chair; involve yourself in your treatment.